Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Berks County)

Default Re: H&R 926 38 S&W Top Break

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Nobody but me.
    And me.....I'll find some old odd relic and come hell or high water I'm getting it running. Found an old Marlin .22, great rifle, tack driver. Proper magazines and replacement sights (they were missing) cost as much as the rifle.

I have ordered from Bobs before....other then the antiquated website, never a problem on my end.

Another possible place to check is Jack First....just as big as Numrich, just don't have an online catalog. I recommend giving them a call, they have been very nice and helpful in the past.

Link: http://www.jackfirstgun.com/order.php
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

Default Re: H&R 926 38 S&W Common Issues

I have researched all day and the "timing" has come up several times. I do not understand "timing" since the cylinder can rotate freely and when latched the rachet "notch" should line up correctly to the lever slot. Hope I am stating this correctly. If this is not the case, I would accept any words to help me.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: H&R 926 38 S&W Top Break

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Yep , the parts were soft and bent/broke/wore easily. There were subtle differences between years/models but like parts all seem to get thrown into the same bin so it's luck of the draw as to what ya get. I've gotten incorrect or non-fitting parts before from Numrich. By the time ya get the right part and fit it , ya have a few hours invested and nobody is gonna pay $100+ to fix a $50 pistol.
    It would have to be in really bad condition to be worth only $50.

MODEL 926 MANUAL EJECTOR TOP BREAK Add to Collection
    .22 LR or .38 S&W cal., 5 (.38 S&W) or 9 (.22 LR) shot, 4 in. barrel, blue finish, DA, square butt, manual ejection, adj. rear sight, top break, walnut grips. Mfg. 1968-1972.
    View Historic Prices
    Grading 100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%
    $265 $215 $180 $140 $125 $110 $95
    Add 10% for .22 LR cal.
    MODEL 926 MANUAL EJECTOR SECOND MODEL TOP BREAK Add to Collection
    .22 LR or .38 S&W cal., 5 (.38 S&W) or 9 (.22 LR) shot, 4 in. barrel, blue finish, DA, square butt, manual ejection, adj. rear sight, top break, walnut grips, transfer bar ignition. Mfg. 1973-1978.
    View Historic Prices
    Grading 100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%
    $265 $215 $185 $150 $125 $110 $95
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Jefferson County)

If the lever, (AKA, the "pawl" in other guns - the part that pushes on the ratchet part of the extractor), doesn't push far enough - the cylinder locking lever will not engage the locking notches on the cylinder. Then your gun will be out of timing, which if it is out too far the firing pin will not hit the primer. Or, it could hit it just enough to fire the cartridge, but the cylinder would be out of line with the forcing cone. ...which in turn could cause a catastrophic event.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Got it. In my case, I believe the main issue is the "pawl" comes out far enough but the ratchet teeth are too worn to allow interaction. The cylinder locking "knob" connects properly with minimal cylinder rotation noticed. Looking down the barrel to the cylinder shows proper alignment.

(Elk County)

NOTE: Merged the two threads started by the OP in "General" and "Gunsmithing" into one thread in "Gunsmithing."

Carry on.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Jefferson County)

Bob's does appear to have a 925 cylinder & extractor assembly in stock, which should work.

It is item #8 on the H&R page, left column, down the page a little. You might have to piece & part your 926's assembly with the 925's to get the proper manual ejector length. ...but the extractor from the 925 should work.

Great. I will call and discuss with them. Thanks for the help and info

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gcb1955 View Post
    Got it. In my case, I believe the main issue is the "pawl" comes out far enough but the ratchet teeth are too worn to allow interaction. The cylinder locking "knob" connects properly with minimal cylinder rotation noticed. Looking down the barrel to the cylinder shows proper alignment.
    Locking bolt
    Cylinder hand
    Ejector star with rachet.

Cylinder ratchet lever/spring assembly and mainspring assembly arrived from Gun Parts(Numrich). Pistol was reassembled but lever would not extend quick enough before the cylinder stop would re-engage. Lever spring(out of the package was straight) was bent allowing the tip to be seen in the window but not protruding past it. Reassembled and cylinder rotates/locks properly. Will be test firing this weekend. Thanks to each responder to this thread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12