Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(Montgomery County)

Default Remington 700P or 700 LTR?

I need some opinions. I'm looking to either purchase a Remington 700P, or a 700 LTR. For those who aren't familiar with the differences between the two, the 700P weighs 9lbs, has a 26" barrel with a 1:12 twist. The LTR weighs 7 1/2lbs, has a 20" fluted barrel with a 1:9 twist.

I previously owned a 700P, but had sold it to a member of this site last year, and I miss it terribly, so I'm looking to purchase another; however, I'm not sure if I want to stick with the 700P, or make the switch to the LTR.

Proud member of:

Default Re: Remington 700P or 700 LTR?

I'd go 26" to get the extra velocity.

I just finished this up yesterday, I'm very happy with it.

It's a rem. 700 SPS varmint in 308 with a Bell and Carlson stock, which from what I came to find out the 700 SPS varmint has the same barrel and action as the 700P so it's really hard to pass up if you don't mind swapping out the stock since the SPS stocks are garbage(mine was aluminum bedded and 100% drop in. Price with bipod, scopemount and rings was $750. The finish is also not supposed to be quite as good on the 700 SPS as on the the 700P but I really don't see anything bad about the finish as of yet. Just to toss it out there though, from the info I gathered the varmint SPSs are the only ones with the same barrel/action as the 700P the regular SPS has a lighter barrel.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    I'd go 26" to get the extra velocity.

I just finished this up yesterday, I'm very happy with it.

It's a rem. 700 SPS varmint in 308 with a Bell and Carlson stock, which from what I came to find out the 700 SPS varmint has the same barrel and action as the 700P so it's really hard to pass up if you don't mind swapping out the stock since the SPS stocks are garbage(mine was aluminum bedded and 100% drop in. Price with bipod, scopemount and rings was $750. The finish is also not supposed to be quite as good on the 700 SPS as on the the 700P but I really don't see anything bad about the finish as of yet. Just to toss it out there though, from the info I gathered the varmint SPSs are the only ones with the same barrel/action as the 700P the regular SPS has a lighter barrel.

Nice looking rifle! I like that stock a lot.

I think I'm definitely going to stick with the 26" barrel because of the velocity loss with the 20.
    Last edited by Agent Smith; August 8th, 2008 at 01:17 PM.

Proud member of:

(Berks County)

I may be biased since I started with a 700P but it is a great rifle. Hard to beat for the money.

Personally I cut my barrel down to 22". With my 168gr hand loads I'm seeing around 2650fps which will still get them out there but the shorter barrel holds a slightly tighter group than the longer. Best of both worlds I think. Something to think about. The LTR is nice but with only a 20" barrel you would struggle if you ever wanted to shoot 800-1000yds.

Spend a few extra $s and you could do this to it.........

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by sluggie24 View Post
    I may be biased since I started with a 700P but it is a great rifle. Hard to beat for the money.

Personally I cut my barrel down to 22". With my 168gr hand loads I'm seeing around 2650fps which will still get them out there but the shorter barrel holds a slightly tighter group than the longer. Best of both worlds I think. Something to think about. The LTR is nice but with only a 20" barrel you would struggle if you ever wanted to shoot 800-1000yds.

Spend a few extra $s and you could do this to it.........

I'd have to agree, it is a great rifle. I regret ever selling mine.

I love the LTR, but I do have a goal of one day shooting 1,000yds at least once just so I can say I did it, so again it's looking like the 700P is my best option.

As for cutting down the barrel, what does that typically cost?

Proud member of:

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Smith View Post
    I'd have to agree, it is a great rifle. I regret ever selling mine.

I love the LTR, but I do have a goal of one day shooting 1,000yds at least once just so I can say I did it, so again it's looking like the 700P is my best option.

As for cutting down the barrel, what does that typically cost?
    The price depends on where you go. I had mine done and had the muzzle threaded and a thread protector made with the cut off barrel piece.(when the thread protector is on it just looks like a regular barrel) It was done by AWC who made my suppressor and cost $125. I bet just having a barrel cut and re-crowned would be a bit cheaper.

(Centre County)

I'm assuming your going .223.

LTR baby. Save the longer version for a heavier caliber. I think you can shoot heavier bullets with the 1:9 as well.

My opinion.

what are you going to be using the rifle for and at what range do you plan to shoot?

(Allegheny County)

Optimum barrel length for .308 is 26 inches. But a 20, 22 , 24 also work fine with a .308 for accuracy.
    If your going .223 a 20" will be just as accurate as a 26".

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by arrrrgh15 View Post
    I'm assuming your going .223.

LTR baby. Save the longer version for a heavier caliber. I think you can shoot heavier bullets with the 1:9 as well.

My opinion.

what are you going to be using the rifle for and at what range do you plan to shoot?
    Sorry, I'm gonna be going .308. I forgot to mention that in my original post.

Pretty much the only use the rifle will get will be for target shooting. The place I shoot at has a 200yd range, so that will probably be the distance I shoot 99.9% of the time; however, I would love to shoot 500+, but there are no ranges close by with that distance.

It's looking like I'll have to stick with the 700P.

Proud member of: