Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Remington 700P or 700 LTR?

I just wanted to throw this out there. I know some gentlemen that can and do shoot out to 1K with 20" barrels. You will need some pretty hot handloads, 20 moa bases, and a scope with a fair amount of adjustment, but it can be done. Realize that if you seriously do want to shoot out long distance (possibly 1K), you'll have to shoot some of the heavier bullets, so they will still be super sonic when they get to the target. The 1 in 12" twist will stabilize the 168's probably to that far. Depending on the elevation of where you're shooting, humidity, load, etc, you might get it to stabilize something a bit heavier. If you ever wanted to shoot something like the 190 Berger VLD's or something of that flavor, the 1 in 12" twist probably isn't gonna cut it. In some areas, it occasionally will, but that is not typically the case.

Something else to keep in mind is that at 200 yards, you're not gonna see alot of difference with the gained velocity. Keep in mind that the extra velocity means more heat, and that will cut down on your barrel life; part of that will also depend on your loads, etc.

Both the 700P and the 700 LTR come with an HS Precision stock, so you shouldn't need to change it unless you just prefer something different. I know that Bell & Carlson has started to make some of Remington's stocks like the XCR, and even some of the Sendero stocks. They don't list that on their website, but that's the truth. Either way, if both of those rifles come with a B&C or HS Precision, they should be fine stable, rugged, stocks. Both of the rifles that you mentioned also come with 1 in 12" barrel, no biggy. Shoot out that barrel, and then you might be ready to go to 1K with proper practice, and get the new barrel with 1:9, or see if you can get a 168 load to go that far (some will). They are all fine rifles, as is XD's that's a nice looking rifle. Just pick the length of barrel you like, in terms of handling and for what you will be doing the most of, and go with it.

(Centre County)

Didya buy the gun yet?

C'mon, we want to see pictures!!!!!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    I just wanted to throw this out there. I know some gentlemen that can and do shoot out to 1K with 20" barrels. You will need some pretty hot handloads, 20 moa bases, and a scope with a fair amount of adjustment, but it can be done. Realize that if you seriously do want to shoot out long distance (possibly 1K), you'll have to shoot some of the heavier bullets, so they will still be super sonic when they get to the target. The 1 in 12" twist will stabilize the 168's probably to that far. Depending on the elevation of where you're shooting, humidity, load, etc, you might get it to stabilize something a bit heavier. If you ever wanted to shoot something like the 190 Berger VLD's or something of that flavor, the 1 in 12" twist probably isn't gonna cut it. In some areas, it occasionally will, but that is not typically the case.

Something else to keep in mind is that at 200 yards, you're not gonna see alot of difference with the gained velocity. Keep in mind that the extra velocity means more heat, and that will cut down on your barrel life; part of that will also depend on your loads, etc.

Both the 700P and the 700 LTR come with an HS Precision stock, so you shouldn't need to change it unless you just prefer something different. I know that Bell & Carlson has started to make some of Remington's stocks like the XCR, and even some of the Sendero stocks. They don't list that on their website, but that's the truth. Either way, if both of those rifles come with a B&C or HS Precision, they should be fine stable, rugged, stocks. Both of the rifles that you mentioned also come with 1 in 12" barrel, no biggy. Shoot out that barrel, and then you might be ready to go to 1K with proper practice, and get the new barrel with 1:9, or see if you can get a 168 load to go that far (some will). They are all fine rifles, as is XD's that's a nice looking rifle. Just pick the length of barrel you like, in terms of handling and for what you will be doing the most of, and go with it.
    I'm no marksman by any means, so it's going to take an enormous amount of practice for me to make it to 1,000yds. I highly doubt I would ever be able to make it with a 20" barrel.

As for handloads. I don't reload; however, I working on learning how to, so I wouldn't be able to use any special handloads. If I attempted it, I would probably use 168gr Federal Match or something along those lines.

I'm having a hell of a time deciding which model I should go with. I love the short barrel of the LTR, but I don't want to be disappointed if I ever do attempt long range shooting. I may have to start a poll, lol.
    Last edited by Agent Smith; August 11th, 2008 at 05:14 PM.

Proud member of:

Lol, the shorter barrels are actually "more stiff", so alot of people don't have as much trouble making them shoot, especially in close. If you had the right loads, I'm sure the barrel would be capable of taking those bullets that far. Since you don't reload, you have probably chose the best factory ammunition that you can get. There's some guys on snipershide that take 22" barrels to 1K, and there may be a few that take the 168 Federal Match that far. If you like the shorter barrel, I would say go with it. In my opinion, the .308 is dragging balls anyway, lol, 20" will still get you there. Either way I know for a fact it'll take you to 800 yards (damn far), most likely 1K, so I don't think you'd be disappointed.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    Lol, the shorter barrels are actually "more stiff", so alot of people don't have as much trouble making them shoot, especially in close. If you had the right loads, I'm sure the barrel would be capable of taking those bullets that far. Since you don't reload, you have probably chose the best factory ammunition that you can get. There's some guys on snipershide that take 22" barrels to 1K, and there may be a few that take the 168 Federal Match that far. If you like the shorter barrel, I would say go with it. In my opinion, the .308 is dragging balls anyway, lol, 20" will still get you there. Either way I know for a fact it'll take you to 800 yards (damn far), most likely 1K, so I don't think you'd be disappointed.
    Sounds good. After reading this, I'm leaning more towards the LTR. I highly doubt I will shoot long distance very often. I don't even know where there's a range anywhere around here that's 500, let alone 1,000yds, lol. So, if I ever do have an opportunity to shoot 1,000, I'm sure it will only be once or twice.

Thanks for the advice.

Proud member of:

(Centre County)

Well, it sounds like there's your answer. For the ranges you intend to use it for, the LTR will be fine. And it'll be handier in the field.

Besides, you can get it threaded for a suppressor and the OAL won't be so unwieldy.

Good luck with whatever you purchase. I'm sure it'll shoot fine.

(Wayne County)

Talking Re: Remington 700P or 700 LTR?

Ever look at the Rem VSF? I have one in 308 and I can shoot 1/2 to3/4 inch groups out at 200 yards with factory and hand loads. A little cheaper and shoots just as good as the ones with the BAD BLACK EVIL STOCKS.

Qtrborecrazy

Agent Smith,

LTR has a 1:12 twist in the .308 model.

Rem LTR, Timney adjustable trigger, 175gr black hills factory ammo(yes, Factory (moly or not)), 20 moa base, Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50mm LR/T M1....1/2 inch or less out to 1k! I was amazed.

I was in your same situation a few years ago and thought I needed at lease a 24" milspec R-5 barrel. I still would like to get one when the ship comes in....But I decided on the more practical and tactical LTR. I have not one regret!! Half inch at any range is spectacular and someone with greater skills than I could get amazing groups. It is the ideal rifle for me. It covers all the bases- Hunting, long or short range. If I do my job, it does it's job very well.

My 2 cents. Good luck.

Cutter

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by arrrrgh15 View Post
    Well, it sounds like there's your answer. For the ranges you intend to use it for, the LTR will be fine. And it'll be handier in the field.

Besides, you can get it threaded for a suppressor and the OAL won't be so unwieldy.

Good luck with whatever you purchase. I'm sure it'll shoot fine.
    This is the reason I went with the SPS Tactical. (20" bbl) I intend to add a suppressor and figured the rifle would be way too long with a 26" bbl + the length of the suppressor.

I have shot it out to 700yds with no problems. I can't wait for the chance to shoot further than that. At 700 yds I was able to hit 15x15 steels with factory ammo. My rifle likes 175gr FGMM and M118LR when I find it.

I just got a Rock Chucker reloading kit and will be taking the leap into reloading in the coming months.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12