Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Thoughts on a Sig P238?

We're currently looking for a carry piece for the wife. Something small and light, yet manageable to shoot at the range, without fatiguing your wrists after 15 or 20 rounds.

She's not new to guns, just to carrying, so she has an idea of what she's looking for in a pistol, and has no problem racking a slide, clearing a jam, etc....

We've looked at a few options, and after a good bit of research, we've narrowed it down to a Sig p238 or a Glock 42. But she is really leaning towards the Sig, since she likes how it feels in her hands, it's a bit smaller, prettier (yes, that matters to her) and has a reputation as a fairly soft shooter.

Anyone with a p238 care to share their thoughts? Anyone with both it and the Glock have a good comparison? Is the the little Sig worth the money?

Appreciate feedback is appreciated....

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Thoughts on a Sig P238?

The p238 is a very finely built firearm. Accurate, reliable, beautiful and all around sweet HOWEVER it is a single action only pistol with a manual safety that needs carried cocked and locked. to me this disqualifies it for a CCW.

Glock 42 is a better option in my opinion because you draw and fire, no fine motor skills required. Also consider double action only pistols. I carry a remington RM380, have friends who carry ruger LCP and also kahr ct380.

Always carry in a holster to protect trigger from being snagged.

(Chester County)

I'd rather have cocked and locked than a Glock trigger, but that's just my personal preference. From what I read the Sig P238, and P938 are good to go.

I don't have a p238. Almost bought one and then decided to go p938 instead. It's only 0.4 inches longer and fires a more effective round for defense. (9mm vs .380)

However if the 238 functions in a similar fashion to the 938 I can say the 938 is a wonderful little gun. I find subcompacts unpleasant to shoot but as these little guys go, the 938 is great. I can only assume the 238 would be the same. In fact the 238 is probably a bit easier on the hands when shooting because of the slightly weaker round.

The inevitable question of single action vs. double action or Glock obviously enters into your question. I've owned Glocks of all sizes. However my preference over the years has shifted towards single action. That is my preference, though, and not a value judgment.

Yes, the tiny 1911 is objectively better-looking than the Glock.

(Allegheny County)

Consider the use of this weapon, not as a bullseye gun but as a last chance survival tool. I am sure if you practice enough, drawing and removing the safety then firing is second nature but isn't it more practical to be able to draw and fire? Do you think that the 1911 like trigger pull means much in this situation or does adrenaline take over?

The P-238 is a fun gun to shoot but I reiterate that it is a mistake to use a manual safety firearm in a subcompact self defense gun.

(Philadelphia County)

I have a Sig P238 Rainbow Tribal. I bought it just because it's so pretty. It's like a piece of fine jewelry that happens to function as a firearm. I seldom carry it.

WBT1041.jpg

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by IrocGuns View Post
    Consider the use of this weapon, not as a bullseye gun but as a last chance survival tool. I am sure if you practice enough, drawing and removing the safety then firing is second nature but isn't it more practical to be able to draw and fire? Do you think that the 1911 like trigger pull means much in this situation or does adrenaline take over?

The P-238 is a fun gun to shoot but I reiterate that it is a mistake to use a manual safety firearm in a subcompact self defense gun.
    And some feel it's easier to have a ND using a gun without a manual safety in this role. For me both are training issues. Train with what you carry to the point it becomes second nature/muscle memory and it becomes less of an issue either way.

(Centre County)

I've got a P238 Desert (two tone w/ night sights) and I love it. Feels good in my hand and with Hornady Critical Defense rounds in it I feel comfortable carrying it. That said, it is just one of several guns I carry depending on the circumstances.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Beaver County)

I carry a P238 SAS. Great little gun and accurate as hell at 10 yards. Perfect deep concealment gun and because of the full metal frame it dosent beat your hands and wrists up like similar plastic guns.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

My wife initially bought a S&W 642 & quickly fell out of love with it because of the recoil. I took the 642 & bought her a 238 Equinox & she loves it. Recoil is negligible. The safety releases instinctively. And she can operate the slide reliably. When carried in a pocket holster, it becomes invisible.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast