Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default remmington 30-06 - project scope???

hey guys,im slowly building up a Remington 700 in 30-06 to take a few longer shots and need some opinions on scopes.
    I haven't done much,harris bi pod and a detachable 10 round mag conversion.
    I have a .223 and a .308 I'm hoping to go a lil further with the 30-06.
    haven't tried this calibre before so any help with scope magnifications would be great.
    research so far is saying- 2-7x30, 3-9x40,2.5-8x36,4-12x40.
    I'm looking for a mid range price scope,dont want cheap junk but cant spend $1000 on optics either.
    not fussed on brand,just a mid ranged priced scope for longer shooting.
    cheers

(Wayne County)

Default Re: remmington 30-06 - project scope???

Quote Originally Posted by the collector View Post
    hey guys,im slowly building up a Remington 700 in 30-06 to take a few longer shots and need some opinions on scopes.
    I haven't done much,harris bi pod and a detachable 10 round mag conversion.
    I have a .223 and a .308 I'm hoping to go a lil further with the 30-06.
    haven't tried this calibre before so any help with scope magnifications would be great.
    research so far is saying- 2-7x30, 3-9x40,2.5-8x36,4-12x40.
    I'm looking for a mid range price scope,dont want cheap junk but cant spend $1000 on optics either.
    not fussed on brand,just a mid ranged priced scope for longer shooting.
    cheers
    You just missed Leupolds 100 dollar rebate, I picked up a 3.5x10x50 for 440 bucks, light weight, clear and put on a Weatherby vanguard 30-06. I'm heading to the Sportsman show in Harrisburg in Feb and want to look thru some Vortex scopes. I bought a pair of their Diamondback binos and I can tell you the little binos are great. If there's any place where you can go and look thru them, do so, you may and may not like the reticle.

(Delaware County)

I would need more information before I could recommend a scope. like; at what range are you looking to go?
    are you going to use this in a walking gun, or a fixed position gun.
    what is your target, deer, bear, or varmints. Most deer or bear shots are taken under 100 meters, because of their habitat, while there is lots of fun in shooting 600 to 700 meters at ground hogs from a fixed position. One of my most favorite hunting endeavors.
    Field of view at a specific range is only qualified by the range attempted and the size of the target. Most people in this thread will throw out a suggestion because they own a certain type of scope. They only want to have you buy into their choice. Anyone who offers you a choice without knowing its purpose is not serving your interest, but their own. With age comes wisdom. IM 70 years old and have been hunting since I was 15. in fact I still own my first real knife, a Buck 110. this knife is 55 years old, and sharp as a razor.

Bill aka ET

(Lycoming County)

As was mentioned, what kinds of ranges are you thinking of. You usually end up seeing the differences in the higher priced optics at longer ranges. Also are you planning on range finding with the scope? Is this a hunting rifle or are you just looking to go further on the range?

The vortex suggestion is a pretty solid choice. They make good quality stuff for the money. Myself I like a little less magnification on a hunting optic for easier target acquisition vs a strictly range gun where that might not be as important.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    You just missed Leupolds 100 dollar rebate, I picked up a 3.5x10x50 for 440 bucks, light weight, clear and put on a Weatherby vanguard 30-06. I'm heading to the Sportsman show in Harrisburg in Feb and want to look thru some Vortex scopes. I bought a pair of their Diamondback binos and I can tell you the little binos are great. If there's any place where you can go and look thru them, do so, you may and may not like the reticle.
    Definitely check them out quartetbore. There's a local shop here that carries most of the vortex line and all I've checked out are right on par with anything from Leupold if not a little better on some. If you really want to be impressed look through the viper pst. Really clear ffp scope and not priced too bad when you compare clarity/features with others in that class.

definitely a hunting rifle, shooting from vehicle and walk around gun.i like my .223 mossseberg mvp (0-200m),my .308 ruger gunsite scout (0-350m) , so I'm hoping the 30-06 out to 600m,i don't think that's too difficult?
    I would like to have a go at varmiting as I don't really get to shoot out past 200-300m very often.
    cheers

(Chester County)

One word. Vortex.

(Somerset County)

For hunting, I like the Bushnell Elite series because of the Rainguard feature (and I hate flip up caps). I have 3 of them in 3-9. I also have been satisfied with my Leupolds, a VX2 2-7 and an M8 fixed 6X. I've used the 6x (it's on a 270) to shoot groundhogs at 300 yds and a deer at 350 yds. I'd stay around 12-16X at the top end, after that the scopes get big and bulky and I wouldn't want to carry it. Bigger would be OK if you drive to a deer shack in the middle of a field and sit there.

Dale

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Definitely check them out quartetbore. There's a local shop here that carries most of the vortex line and all I've checked out are right on par with anything from Leupold if not a little better on some. If you really want to be impressed look through the viper pst. Really clear ffp scope and not priced too bad when you compare clarity/features with others in that class.
    I have a Viper PST on a 5R, and it rocks. I have the 6-24 model, and only use the higher power for ranging on relatively small targets at longer distances. 10-12x is about right for actually shooting.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!