Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default G42 .380 Reloading Help Please

Good Morning,

I bought my wife a G42 for CC and have been trying to reload target ammo for it with no success. Alot of FTE, brass stuck in barrel and FTF's (look like light primer strikes).
    I am using 100g FMJ, 2.6g to 3.0g Titegoup, .980" OAL, per the Hodgdon load data. I also tried HP-38 2.9g to 3.1g.
    At the lower powder weights almost every round fails (mostly FTE) at the higher, half fail. I'm not sure if i can trust going more than the recommended powder weights and i do not have a Chronny to measure fps.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    I have a G22 (.40 S&W) and a G43 (9mm) i reload for and have had zero issues.

(Clarion County)

Default Re: G42 .380 Reloading Help Please

I don't have a Glock so if there's something particular to this model maybe someone could give a shout. Have a couple .380's and they all do well with reloads. Use 231 (aka hp38) in the range you tried with 105 gr pd cast. If it were mine I'd pull the barrel, clean it well and then proceed with the plunk test making sure they feed well and the rim of the case is darn near even with the hood of the barrel.

A question on the light primer strikes, did you try to fire them a second or third time? Thinking primers may of been seated shallow.
    The ones I have require a firm grip to cycle.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Washington County)

Are you new to reloading?

I use almost the very same recipe with my 42 and have had great success.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by M&P Chris View Post
    Are you new to reloading?

I use almost the very same recipe with my 42 and have had great success.
    I've been reloading for approx. 2 years.
    i have case gauged them and also plunk tested and they seem fine.

(Northampton County)

additional info i failed to mention....

i'm using CCI primers.
    not "limp wristing"
    Lee (4) die set

(Tioga County)

Since you have had these failures have you shot some factory ammo through the gun to see if the same thing occurs? If factory ammo runs like a top we can isolate it to your reloads.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    Since you have had these failures have you shot some factory ammo through the gun to see if the same thing occurs? If factory ammo runs like a top we can isolate it to your reloads.
    Good Point !, i fell stoopid for not trying that. I shot factory ammo when i first got it and it was fine. I'll have to try some factory again.
    I was reading on Glocktalk or somewhere that they shortened the OAL to .945" and it solved a similar problem. what actually does shortening the OAL do ?

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by psykosteve View Post
    Good Point !, i fell stoopid for not trying that. I shot factory ammo when i first got it and it was fine. I'll have to try some factory again.
    I was reading on Glocktalk or somewhere that they shortened the OAL to .945" and it solved a similar problem. what actually does shortening the OAL do ?
    It could be the way Glock cut their chambers and the bullet you are using engages the rifling too early. SAAMI says 380 max OAL is .984. Maybe don't back down all the way to .945, but maybe go down to .97 and try that. Obviously start your powder load over and work up from there. Some pistols and their barrels just don't like long OALs.

The other thing I have seen is reloading debris getting stuck in a chamber, so I would give the weapon a good clean just to eliminate that as an issue.

You are not the first to have this issue with the G42. The guys that have had the same issues with their 42 have found they have to load close to or even a tad over book max for reliable function. We figure the recoil spring is on the stiff side. I'd also a little slower powder like Power Pistol and load to book max or a tad over. The 42 can handle rounds that are +P.(over SAAMI max) The books these days on are the conservative side and every gun is different. Don't be affraid to try different COAL, just adjust the powder charge as needed. Shorting the OAL increases pressure with the same powder charge and some guns just like a shorter COAL. I know my LCP doesn't like a long COAL.

Also make sure you are getting adequate neck tension with the bullets. I had problems with my Lee .380 sizer die with jacketed bullets. There was hardly any neck tension with jacketed bullets but it was ok with larger cast bullets. I ended up getting a Lee undersize .380 sizer to get adequate neck tension. If neck tension isn't right the powder may not burn the way it should causing issues.
    Last edited by dkf; January 14th, 2016 at 07:07 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Switch to Winchester or Remington primers, and maybe try Universal as a powder or bump up the Titegroup just a bit. I load for a Kahr CW380 and had the same problems until I swapped primers, using 100gr Xtreme plated flat point round nose. I think I load mine to .960. No problems now.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast