Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Question ACT 235 Training

Can anybody tell me how long ACT 235 training takes? I have already received my approval letter. I just wanted to know how long the actual course takes. Everything I've read says it takes 40 hours but I wanted to know how many days the schools usually take. Do they do five 8 hour days? Or what?

(Berks County)

Default Re: ACT 235 Training

At Lehigh Carbon Community College it was two weeks long. Few hours a night for 4 nights a week then a day at the range. Training was good the instructor at LCCC was less than good...

2 shooters who were non shooters were held by the hand and given every opportunity to qualify and when they failed the magic pen came out and with all the other students behind the berm (out of sight) to "lessen the stress for the shooters" they miraculously qualified.

You need act 235 for a lot of things so it is good to have just be a little choosy about where you go...

Hope it helps.

(Lehigh County)

Act 235 is a 40 hour course.

I took mine last year at LCCC.
    Few hours Friday night and all day Saturday and Sunday for 2 consecutive weekends.

First weekend was gun safety, handling, practice and qualifications.
    2nd weekend was all classroom stuff.

The shooting itself was not difficult, especially if you practice often.

Once you complete the course, you will get your 235 card and it's good for 5 years. To renew it when the time comes, you just have to re-certify and it's a one day process.

Hope this helps.

AG

(Philadelphia County)

hey I wanted to know because I see alot of Enforcement Agents Armed when they get off work. Working in the Night Clubs. Are they allow to do that when you Have your ACT 235

Quote Originally Posted by ricanbull View Post
    hey I wanted to know because I see alot of Enforcement Agents Armed when they get off work. Working in the Night Clubs. Are they allow to do that when you Have your ACT 235
    I'm pretty sure that if you are a LEO you can work somewhere else as armed security and not need your ACT 235, but I could be wrong, it has happened once before.
    Bazinga

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF4i View Post
    I'm pretty sure that if you are a LEO you can work somewhere else as armed security and not need your ACT 235, but I could be wrong, it has happened once before.
    If an individual is employed in a private function, such as a Nightclub, they must be LWTA (Act 235) Certified. No exceptions. That said, sometimes private entities pay for Public Officers to work an event. They pay the Municipalites the cost of employing the Officers. Wegmans in Wilkes-Barre is an example. They are on the Townships payroll, but the expense is paid by the Business.

As to the OP, the back of my Card reads:

This card is issued to the individual identified on the front, but remains the property of the Commonwealth of PA and shall be surrendered upon demand of the PA State Police. This card must be carried by the individual whom it is issued while armed with a lethal weapon on duty or going to and from duty.
    WARNING:Unauthorized use of Certification Card is prohibited under the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and will result in Criminal Prosecution.

Be safe (and Certified).

Scott

Link to FAQs on Act 235: http://www.psp.state.pa.us/psp/cwp/b...BCOB=0&C=33305

(Chester County)

in regards to the 235, what exactly is the difference between armed security and concealed carry (for self defense) while at work ? For example; does a security officer need a 235 to conceal carry at work with intent only to protect themself?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by batalha_com.308 View Post
    in regards to the 235, what exactly is the difference between armed security and concealed carry (for self defense) while at work ? For example; does a security officer need a 235 to conceal carry at work with intent only to protect themself?
    I imagine it is against the security companys policy to carry your firearm concealed even if you have an LTCF, without your Act 235.

Liability issues. Just because you have your LTCF does not mean you were "trained" to defend another persons life, while on duty, like your Act 235 is supposed to do.

Leaving you and your company open to civil suits if you screwed up trying to do the right thing, and you will most certainly lose your job and never work security again.

Could be wrong but I imagine this is common sense.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    I imagine it is against the security companys policy to carry your firearm concealed even if you have an LTCF, without your Act 235.

Liability issues. Just because you have your LTCF does not mean you were "trained" to defend another persons life, while on duty, like your Act 235 is supposed to do.

Leaving you and your company open to civil suits if you screwed up trying to do the right thing, and you will most certainly lose your job and never work security again.

Could be wrong but I imagine this is common sense.

To carry a firearm for WORK purposes, you have to be Act 235 certified. Your LTCF does not entitle you to carry for work and Act 235 does not entitle you to carry for personal protection. They are 2 seperate "licenses".

I would leave your firearm at home until you get your Act 235. I know you want to protect yourself at work, but it is not worth losing your job, especially if this is the field you want to pursue as a career. If your job for some reason let's you carry without the Act 235, than I would probably find another company to work for.

If you have any questions about Act 235, just ask, I am more than happy to provide any info that I can. There are other members in this forum that are also "certified agents" and would probably be more than happy to answer any questions as well.

Stay safe.

AG

(Philadelphia County)

Also with the 235 you are allowed to OC as long as you are at work. i know in philly the cops don't really bother you. I have mine but i stoped doing security a few years back. But i still keep it up to date. So i know when i would stop to get gas or something and PPD saw me they would nod and thats it. As long as your in uniform they leave you alone. I know a few guys that do night club work and they say the the dont have issues with the police. But i also heard some stories about cops giving armed guards a hard time too. Try to get the handcuffing and o.c. cert. too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast