Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 223 jambed in breech

I have been reloading 223 for about a year now using a full length sizing die with no problems. I finally decided to try the neck sizing die, and noticed some of the cartridges were tighter, and I had to use the assist button. Now all of a sudden a cartridge actually jambed in the breech, and I caught pure (TROUBLE) getting it removed. This was a live cartridge. All of these cartridges fit smothley into a gauge.
    I measured the case trim length, the cartridge overall length, and it all is the same that I have been doing all along. The only difference, with what I did is going from full size to the neck size only. I assume that it is something to do with the bevel in the neck not right, I have dropped all of what I have reloaded into the chamber for a check, and about 300 of them will get stuck with just a slight push of the bolt. I have since started breaking them down to start over
    Oh, these are Lee dies.
    Does anybody know what I might have did wrong. At this point I don't like the neck size only operation.
    Thanks

Default Re: 223 jambed in breech

Are you using these in an AR or other semi auto? If so you are supposed to full length size for semi auto rifles. The shoulder needs to be bumped back with the full length sizing die. Neck sizing is primarily used for bolt action rifles which has cam over due to the manual bolt and less movement with the bolt when fired. Keep in mind it is possible that your chamber will not be the same as the case gauge. Case gauges can be a good tool but the barrel has the final say in the end. If your rounds fit the case gauge my guess is the headspace is too proud.

If the rifle is an AR you can "mortar" it to remove a stuck case. If mortaring don't work then you'll likely have to pound it out.

Yea, it is in the AR. I did not know that the neck size was primarily for bolt rifles. Thanks for that bit of information, good to know. Thats what I figured either the headspace, or the shoulder not being right. My son found a site, on the mortaring, which we tried, then I tried to pound it out, which made me nervous, I ended up using a pair of split ring pliers, which slid the bolt back, and released it. I really thought at first that my cartridge might of blew up in the barrel, thank goodness that did not happen.
    Thanks for the info, I am a full sizer for now on.

What size die , cartridge gauge are you using and what chamber does your rifle have?

5.56 NATO , .223 Rem , .223 Wylde?
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Allegheny County)

I use the AR small base dies made just for AR's and semi's, work great with no issues. Neck sizing dies are not for use in AR.

(Tioga County)

What led you to decide to neck size brass for an AR?

I would pull the bullets with a bench mounted collet bullet puller, dump the powder, remove your decapping pin and resize the brass in a full length sizer die, but personally I use the small base dies.

It is the Lee 223 die set. The gauge is the Lyman 223. The chamber is the 5.56 NATO chambered also for 223
    I have ran thru almost 2000 to 3000 rounds, with the full size die with no issues at all, until I tried the neck die.
    I still can't figure how I missed the fact that the neck sizing dies are for bolt actions only. Learn something new all the time.
    Thanks everyone.

(Northampton County)

Shoulder, neck, OAL.

I don't even reload. But I had a friend that struggled through this crap with .223, a forum member here. Catridges did not properly headspace.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Clarion County)

Make sure the case isn't being crushed a tad when seating the bullet.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Somewhere I read that neck sizing would save wear and tear on the brass, as long as I ran the cartridges thru the same rifle. This was with the AR platform. And then I figured the neck sizing would be easier on my back in pulling down on the press. And now I have double duty pulling the bullets, and loading them again.
    LOL, then my Wifey got miffed with me for going out and buying the bullet puller and collet, so I asked her if she wanted to hear me banging the hammer on the floor a few thousand times. By the way I reccomend for anyone, who has not used it yet to get the red handled bullet puller with the handle that tightens on the bullet, that thing is slick and fast. Did not know if I could put the brand name on here.
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast