Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: live in PA, want license to carry in NY, just might be able to

Uodated article on the whole deal

http://www.chemungcounty.com/index.a...d=105&nid=1343

Thanks for the update.

So the news is no news.
    Bradford county was and will still be in violation of the UFA for other NYS applicants.
    And NYS will accept applications under narrow exceptions.

Yawn.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Bradford County)

I have on FB going back and forth with someone from the bradford county sheriffs office. When I said that PA is a shall issue state, the reply I got was that was for PA residents only. When i replied he was wrong, I was accused of " arguing a good thing. " I was also told that they haven't issued non-resident licenses since 2013. I was told for varying reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Thanks for the update.

So the news is no news.
    Bradford county was and will still be in violation of the UFA for other NYS applicants.
    And NYS will accept applications under narrow exceptions.

Yawn.
    I don't know, people who live in Bradford county can easily say that they "conduct business" in New York "frequently" many people live on the NY/PA border and Elmira (NY) has a mall or other shops that if i was living in Bradford would have no problems saying that i "frequent"

and who knows maybe Steuben, Allegany, Broome (NY) will see all this and do something similar with Tioga, Poter, Susquehanna. If so then we are now up to 8 counties between the two states working together on a form of reciprocity. Both states take notice and work out a full State to State reciprocity. Hell even better Albany notices whats happening and sees that hey people from other states are not going to just come over and murder because they are now allowed to legally carry their legally owned handguns in the state, thus New York starts working on restoring 2A rights and looking at even more states to have reciprocity with. Now the rest of the country who is always looking at NY on how it handles gun rights, both sides to either say hey that's what we want to do but even more strict cause dick measuring contest or ha that's stupid lets make sure we don't do anything like NY. So the ones that try to follow NY start seeing well you know they are not having any issues maybe we should start to restore 2A rights as well

^is that scenario a bit of a stretch, yes but plausible

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by biddy View Post
    I have on FB going back and forth with someone from the bradford county sheriffs office. When I said that PA is a shall issue state, the reply I got was that was for PA residents only. When i replied he was wrong, I was accused of " arguing a good thing. " I was also told that they haven't issued non-resident licenses since 2013. I was told for varying reasons.
    Oy vey. The PA statute says sheriffs "shall issue" to qualified applicants. It says nothing about that provision only applying to PA residents.

But you knew that already.

If only the sheriff's office knew (and followed) the law.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    Oy vey. The PA statute says sheriffs "shall issue" to qualified applicants. It says nothing about that provision only applying to PA residents.

But you knew that already.

If only the sheriff's office knew (and followed) the law.
    True story ^
    Would have saved me a 2 hour drive to Coudersport, which was actually a nice drive and they issued my LTCF with in 15 min of walking in the door, if Bradford county sheriff didn't decide they had the ability to choose who they can issue LTCFs to. If that was the case it would have just been a 15 min. drive to the sheriffs office for me.

Granted I still will plan to mention Coudersport to people I know here in NY as they were really nice and made the whole process extremely easy. While I heard before deciding not to issue them Bradford was taking the whole 3 weeks to issue and requiring references to be from Bradford county. Coudersport used me having my unrestricted as all my references and i just had to fill out the application.

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    I'm with ET on this! NYS Pistol Licenses are a STATE license and governed by the NY Penal Code. The licenses are administered at the county level and approved usually by the Judge of the County Court. The license is valid statewide with exceptions to NYC, Rochester and Nassau & Suffolk Counties all of which require an additional endorsement.
    Any permit issued in NYS is valid throughout the whole state except NYC. A permit upstate is good in Nassau County and vice versa. To carry in the city you would need a NYC permit or valid endorsement from the city on your permit.
    I'm a Rep Virgin

(Susquehanna County)

I know a few years back Susquehanna Sheriff stopped issuing Non-Resident LTCF, unless the NY resident had a NY Permit and proof of land ownership in PA. They were just way overloaded with NYS folks requesting PA Non-Resident LTCF.

I cannot imagine Broome County NY cooperating. They make it miserable for NY residents.
    My wife has her PA LTCF and works at 4 offices in NY (3 in Broome and 1 in Chenango county). She has gotten credible threats of harm from employees she had to let go and even filed a couple complaints with the NYSP.
    Broome told her unofficially NO but she could submit and get a formal no. She is in the process of submitting in Chenango and it is looking good.

I am retired Army and currently work in Tioga County NY and need to submit, the Sheriffs office seems to think it would not be a problem.
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    I know a few years back Susquehanna Sheriff stopped issuing Non-Resident LTCF, unless the NY resident had a NY Permit and proof of land ownership in PA. They were just way overloaded with NYS folks requesting PA Non-Resident LTCF.

I cannot imagine Broome County NY cooperating. They make it miserable for NY residents.
    My wife has her PA LTCF and works at 4 offices in NY (3 in Broome and 1 in Chenango county). She has gotten credible threats of harm from employees she had to let go and even filed a couple complaints with the NYSP.
    Broome told her unofficially NO but she could submit and get a formal no. She is in the process of submitting in Chenango and it is looking good.

I am retired Army and currently work in Tioga County NY and need to submit, the Sheriffs office seems to think it would not be a problem.
    Possession of a permit from one's home state is a statutory requirement in PA, so all sheriffs should be denying applicants who don't hold one. (I think we should abolish the LTC system entirely and go to constitutional carry, but until we do that sheriffs should be following the law absent a compelling reason for civil disobedience.)

Proof of land ownership in PA, on the other hand, is not a legal basis for denying (or "refusing to accept", which is constructive denial of) an application. Sheriffs who pull that kind of monkey business should be sued, but unfortunately the potential cost/benefit profile for the injured party usually doesn't make that worthwhile.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neilthepilot View Post
    I think all of you are miss reading the announcement. It says a pistol permit not carry permit. So this would allow you to own a pistol in NY not necessarily carry a pistol.

I don't think it is a mis read as Pa does not have pistol permits.

"The agreement between the two counties would accept and process non-resident pistol permit applications in either county.

Chemung County residents who meet the required criteria would be able to apply for a Commonwealth of Pennsylvania pistol permit at the Bradford County Sheriff's Office and Bradford County residents will be able to do the same at the Chemung County Sheriff's Office."
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast