Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: live in PA, want license to carry in NY, just might be able to

Pp
    Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    I don't think it is a mis read as Pa does not have pistol permits.

"The agreement between the two counties would accept and process non-resident pistol permit applications in either county.

Chemung County residents who meet the required criteria would be able to apply for a Commonwealth of Pennsylvania pistol permit at the Bradford County Sheriff's Office and Bradford County residents will be able to do the same at the Chemung County Sheriff's Office."
    This was answered previously, all NYS (NYC Excluded) are Carry permits. Some jurisdictions have place administrative "restrictions" on their permits, which are illegal. NYC being another animal gets to legally issue a "Premises Permit" for home or business only. Additional they have a list of restricted permits...examples, business carry, business carry restricted, security guard, carry for firearms dealers with ability to carry guns not listed on your license. Retired Police and Federal Agents get total Unrestricted Carry permits.

In NYS and the city, all guns owned are listed on ones permit, unlike PA and 100 % of other states where the permit just authorizes concealed carry and doesn't list individual firearms...the way it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Operator View Post
    No NYS issued permit is valid in NYC, unless endorsed by NYC (rare) that said, pistol licenses issued upstate are all technically unrestricted carry permits throughout the state (excluding NYC of course). However, many municipalities (down state) have adopted NYC's BS administrative restrictions, like premises only, restricted security guard, business, target and or hunting restricted. NYS Law doesn't allow for those restrictions, its a carry permit.

Additionally, not every county requires a judges signoff, many do, but some are left to the discretion of the Sheriff or CLEO.
    Some clarifications: you appear to be mixing up extra-legal restrictions with legally defined license types. Premises-only, security guard, and business permits are actually defined permit types found in § 400.00 section 2. Hunting/Target is not a defined permit type, that is a common extra-legal (meaning, beyond that prescribed by law) restriction.

The primary difference is that the first category (those defined by law) can be enforced by law - you can be charged with a crime for carrying outside the defined scope. Extra-legal restrictions cannot be enforced by law... carrying outside the hunting/target restriction cannot get you charged with a crime.*

* - technically, you can be charged with a crime for anything. Black on a Friday night? Disorderly conduct. I am talking about the law, not the actions of rogue/uninformed/whatever LEOs.

L
    Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post
    Some clarifications: you appear to be mixing up extra-legal restrictions with legally defined license types. Premises-only, security guard, and business permits are actually defined permit types found in § 400.00 section 2. Hunting/Target is not a defined permit type, that is a common extra-legal (meaning, beyond that prescribed by law) restriction.

The primary difference is that the first category (those defined by law) can be enforced by law - you can be charged with a crime for carrying outside the defined scope. Extra-legal restrictions cannot be enforced by law... carrying outside the hunting/target restriction cannot get you charged with a crime.*

* - technically, you can be charged with a crime for anything. Black on a Friday night? Disorderly conduct. I am talking about the law, not the actions of rogue/uninformed/whatever LEOs.
    The 5 NYC DA's have in the recent past not charged as a crime, absent a criminal charge for carrying "out of class". Very recently, several weeks ago the NY Post or Daily News mentioned just such an arrest. I wish Imcould remember the exact circumstances. You are correct, there are some defined restrictions, but most venues in NYS are unrestricted. It's when you get to large cities that they take on a NYC attitude, inflicting a liberal cancer to the licensing process.

(Wayne County)

Well, as far as I'm concerned, it is time to try to ride the ground swell. The topic is likely fresh on the mind of northern tier Sheriffs. I posted this on the Wayne Co. Sheriff's Facebook page (there was no email provided on their homepage).

Sheriff Steelman, I am sure by now that you have read in the news that the Sheriff's of Bradford County, PA and Chemung County, NY have entered into an agreement to issue non-resident carry permits to their respective residents. I'm taking a moment to reach out to you this morning to ask you to also consider reaching out to the Sheriffs of those NY counties bordering Wayne County (Broome, Delaware and Sullivan) and/or Chemumg County to arrange for a similar agreement.
    The several times that I've met you you've always shown yourself to be a supporter for the lawful carry of firearms. I know many residents of our county, myself included, that have expressed that they would gladly visit NY state to hunt, fish and camp more frequently if they weren't stripped of the ability to protect their family and friends at the border. Much like Pennsylvania, New York is a beautiful state. I am certain that many residents of NY share this sentiment.
    Please consider initiating this effort to allow the law-abiding residents of your county and of New York to have the ability to lawfully traverse our state borders while retaining the ability to lawfully protect ourselves, our families and our friends.
    Respectfully,

Sandcut

If you are a northern tier resident, get in your Sheriff's ear on this.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Susquehanna County)

I would be very happy to carry in NYS on LTCF or with a NY "non-resident license".

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Wayne County)

Anybody contact their Sheriff yet?
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Susquehanna County)

I contacted the Broome County sheriff as soon as I saw the article and he informed me they are in discussion with the Susquehanna County Sheriff (who requested it). We'll see where it goes.
    Stay armed my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    Anybody contact their Sheriff yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by wrangler1120 View Post
    I contacted the Broome County sheriff as soon as I saw the article and he informed me they are in discussion with the Susquehanna County Sheriff (who requested it). We'll see where it goes.
    See this is pretty much what i expected might happen.

i know there was some pretty salty member in hear talking about how pointless this was. But other sheriffs sound like they are going to be trying to get the same thing going.

It's going to take some time, but I have a feeling here in the next 5 years most of the bordering counties will have some form of non-resident licensing (new york that is, PA issuing them isn't the issue) and maybe even in that 5 years the rest of NY (i dont ever count NYC when I talk about New York) will see that its not a bad thing, if anything increases some tourism and thus more money, and we all know how much NY loves money, and jumps on the bandwagon

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    I cannot imagine Broome County NY cooperating. They make it miserable for NY residents.
    As a holder of a permit issued by Broome County, I respectfully disagree. Broome is one of the best counties for residents applying for a pistol permit. They follow the law and issue or deny within the legally defined deadline. Judge Cawley genuinely apologizes when he feels he has to deny and carefully considers appeals. They now issue purchase coupons immediately.

Don't mistake what I'm saying as being in favor of NY's licensing system or laws. I'm utterly opposed to them. But given that these laws exist and must be followed, Broome County does a fantastic job of limiting the negative impacts that result.

Now, things weren't always this way. My understanding is that the previous judge (~20 years ago?) was a real dick about the whole thing. Maybe that's what your opinion was based on?

(Tioga County)

Well for me after the unSAFE act went through I simply stopped shopping in New York. It's a little closer than Williamsport, but I was like I'm not doing this anymore and supporting this state in any way.

My main interest now in getting a permit is so I can travel through Elmira airport and bring a pistol in my checked bag.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast