Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Smith and Wessons - Deal ?

My shop has 2 in the safe for me - they are very nice. I am really loving the 44 magnum Any wheel gun experts out there able to tell me if the prices are good. I see what's on gunbroker but always hard to judge from that! The 29-3 is my first choice. Mint condition with only a very faint turn mark. $880. Then the 586 in very good shape, probably would rate excellent for $825. Both are guns only, no boxes. What ya thank ?

Default Re: Smith and Wessons - Deal ?

Nice looking gun's the prices seem a bit high to me especially for .44 magnums which tends to be some of the most comely found used revolves in most gun shops since most find them hellish too shoot. Might be something I am missing regarding these specific models if so I am sure a more knowledgeable revolver guy will chime in but without researching it for myself I wouldn't pay more then $700.00 and that might be too high.

(Berks County)

You forget to mention nickel plated?

(Cumberland County)

I figured that would bring the price up a bit ? On the 29 my handgun price guide says $1000 in excellent condition but doesn't mention Nickel? The 586 was much lower $.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    You forget to mention nickel plated?

(Cumberland County)

yeah. i see them all over the board on gb, but don't see many 4" nickel. it sure is purdy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Nice looking gun's the prices seem a bit high to me especially for .44 magnums which tends to be some of the most comely found used revolves in most gun shops since most find them hellish too shoot. Might be something I am missing regarding these specific models if so I am sure a more knowledgeable revolver guy will chime in but without researching it for myself I wouldn't pay more then $700.00 and that might be too high.

The pricing books are okay but since the auction sites went online I've found the books to typically be off one way or the other especially when it comes to military arms.

Pull up all completed auctions that actually sold and average out the price by comparing condition, this is how I buy and sell everything now.

(Cumberland County)

Thanks, that's what I usually do. If I am reading correctly S&W still makes the model 29 - but they stopped making the 4" barrel models in 1993.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    The pricing books are okay but since the auction sites went online I've found the books to typically be off one way or the other especially when it comes to military arms.

Pull up all completed auctions that actually sold and average out the price by comparing condition, this is how I buy and sell everything now.

(Dauphin County)

I am hardly a revolver expert and even less so for Smiths but will chime in with my .02 opinion. I would value a nickle plated revolver less than a blued revolver. Neither of these revolvers has an internal lock which is definitely a good thing for value. The prices would be high for me but it does seem that the market for these type of pre-lock Smiths is only going to increase. Nickle plating might be cool if you were trying to put together a nice set of nickle plated Smiths. If you really like them and plan on keeping them for a long time they will most likely increase in value and most certainly not loose any value. Plenty of Smith and Wesson Forums to read up on and seems the opinion is the older the Smith the better the craftsmanship in construction. I would guess that most Smith collectors are not even willing to look at anything made after the internal lock became part of these revolvers, I know I would not consider one with an internal lock. Nice photo

(Northampton County)

For the 29-3 in 4 inch is mid to high retail. Does it have a box? I think the 29-10 or the classic is available in 4.25 inch barrel new for about $950 according to the S/W catalog. MSRP But has internal lock crap though
    You're a sanctimonious hypocrite of a bible-spouting blackmailer !

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    My shop has 2 in the safe for me - they are very nice. I am really loving the 44 magnum Any wheel gun experts out there able to tell me if the prices are good. I see what's on gunbroker but always hard to judge from that! The 29-3 is my first choice. Mint condition with only a very faint turn mark. $880. Then the 586 in very good shape, probably would rate excellent for $825. Both are guns only, no boxes. What ya thank ?
    Is one of those blue? They both look shiny on my screen. A 586 is .357 blue and a 686 is .357 stainless. Not sure what I'm seeing there.

ETA - FWIW I wouldn't pay that for them but it's your money.
    Last edited by stainless; January 10th, 2016 at 12:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast