Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Building an AR

Im really interested in building a bare-bones AR-15.. Id like a longer barrel 'match' style, but im really open to anything.

Im just overwhelmed with the choices in receavers and uppers, barrels, evrything.. if there is anyone here who has built an AR, id really appreciate any advice you may have! Cost? Components? Thanks!
    Last edited by Spectre6; June 5th, 2006 at 09:42 PM.

(Bucks County)

Read here. There are dozens of variables. I've built probably 20 ARs, so if you have specific questions I'd be happy to help.

When it comes to AR's you better do some research because your options seem to be unlimited. By build do you mean buying a complete upper and slapping it onto a complete lower? Or do you mean building the AR from the ground up? You should figure out what you really want in an AR before you start searching for prices. If all you want is a entry level AR you can get away with spending $650-700 for a basic model...if you want more features...think $700+. Just remember that there are only a handful of companies that actually make lowers...so don't get caught up in the "I have to buy a brand name lower" to have good quality.

(Allegheny County)

I was thinking of getting a complete upper (so I dont need to worry about buying headspace guages etc etc) but assembling the lower myself. I think If I had the appropreate tools, I could assemble the whole thing from scratch without a problem.

Im really just looking for an entry level AR. Nice and simple!

You do not need to headspace for AR's. Just remember that you get what you pay for at times and "building" an AR is no different. A basic AR will allow you to send lead down range, but it won't be nearly as accurate.

(Montgomery County)

headspacing is a must, at least to check it.
    they do not make the gauges for nothing.
    a new bolt and barrel from a quality manufacturer should be fine tho, but always best to check the headspace on one you assembled from mixed parts.

the penalty for big headspace is a broken bolt, and a ballooned reciever..at best.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Bucks County)

Tend to agree that Headspacing is not required if buying a compete upper. You should check out AR15.com for exact instructions on how to build your own. unlike most rifles, the AR is really easy to do. However you should only do so if you want to learn where every spring goes. The cost difference between say a stripped receiver and one with all the inners is not that big and the trigger group will take some doing getting all in exactly right, the first time.

(Beaver County)

I built 2 from Bushmaster parts. I second that you get a complete lower unless you want the experience of putting everything in place yourself. There are some fiddly little pins and springs involved that can be frustrating the first time.

(Schuylkill County)

I call bs on 'home built' AR's not being as accurate as factory. The quality of the parts is more important than how much you pay. I got an XM-16 upper when they were dumped on the market a year or so ago.. $399 for an upper, $150 for BCG handle, $50 for a lower parts kit and $90 for a lower. Got me a nice AR and shoot as straight as every one elses... even runs on WOLF ammo.

Assembling a lower is nothing more than inserting some pins... how does that affecet accuracy? An upper is more complex only in that you need a barrel wrench and vice. Other than that all you do is index the gas tube. How does THAT affect accuracy?

If you buy a shot out barrel then you are talking accuracy. Installing the FCG cannot.

Calm down Jr....I was saying that if you just buy an entry level AR...it won't be as accurate...IE Olympic offered a "plinker" model that was pure junk, but it was very cheap...the complete rifle was under/around $600. Perhaps you should ask what the person meant before you come on saying BS this or that.

It requires more than putting two pins together to assemble a stripped lower. I don't consider buying a complete upper assembly and a complete lower assemble "building"...some do...I call it piecing two componets together to make a complete rifle.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast