Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SKS SLAM FIRE

(Allegheny County)

Question SKS SLAM FIRE

I was wondering, if a slam fire happened, would the rifle quit firing if you took your finger off the trigger before the mag emptied out ?

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: SKS SLAM FIRE

j,

No.

The firing would continue as long as the firing pin is "stuck" in the forward position. Think of what "caused the first sequence" of the slam fire. It will just continue - but again only while the firing pin is so far forward so as to strike the primer - hard enough to cause ignition.

fritz
    Last edited by fritz1919; January 7th, 2016 at 11:06 PM.
    Obama. AYFKM?! / Pravda vit'azi.

My former sks slamfired once. Went right through the range roof. Someone said it was my fault for not letting the bolt slm home on its own.
    I closed the bolt slowly as not to damage it (it was my first auto rifle).

(Cumberland County)

It depends on what causes the slam fire. If the cause is a firing pin that is stuck forward, then yes. It would slam fire until the mag was empty.

If it is caused by a thin primer and an unsupported firing pin, then no. The gun will behave just like it should (with the exception of the slam fire). <-- This scenario happened to me once. It scared the shit out of me. I dropped a round into the chamber of my FAL and hit the bolt release. BANG!!!!!! It served as a not so subtle reminder to always point your gun in a safe direction.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Wayne County)

Just do a good job cleaning the firing pin channel and stick to Military ammo. You shouldn't have any issues. Bolt disassembly is easy unless you are retarded. No excuses. I make sure to test the FP before an SKS sesh by wiggling it, just a little bit. Should move freely like big tits/no bra.
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

When we were at the range running my dads Yugo a couple times we could tell their was some sticking of the FP.(though it didn't slamfire) The carrier inside and out was spotless. The the FP with a taper on the end was a bad idea and just promotes hang ups. I bought one of the Murrays full head pins for him for Xmas and installed it. I had to do some machining on the one piece to clear the head on the FP but it should solve the problem for good.

(Allegheny County)

Thank you, was the range roof a costly fix?

(Wayne County)

Oh he paid. Dearly.

I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    My former sks slamfired once. Went right through the range roof. Someone said it was my fault for not letting the bolt slm home on its own.
    I closed the bolt slowly as not to damage it (it was my first auto rifle).
    Why would you think releasing the bolt would cause damage? It is the same movement the action makes each time a case it ejected and returns.

I kinda did that once in basic training. At the time I didn't fully understand the science of an open bolt MG. I had just loaded a belt, closed my feed tray, and was riding the charging handle forward when "bang". I jumped, the drill sergeant jumped (the 2nd time was on me).... He laughed his ass off at me later telling everyone I looked like I just shit my pants.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    Why would you think releasing the bolt would cause damage? It is the same movement the action makes each time a case it ejected and returns.

I kinda did that once in basic training. At the time I didn't fully understand the science of an open bolt MG. I had just loaded a belt, closed my feed tray, and was riding the charging handle forward when "bang". I jumped, the drill sergeant jumped (the 2nd time was on me).... He laughed his ass off at me later telling everyone I looked like I just shit my pants.
    I had a similar experience shooting a BAR in F/A. I was prone shooting from a bipod and a full mag of 30.06. About halfway through the mag a spent round stove piped. I reached up to remove the hung up spent casing from the ejection port. As soon as it cleared the bolt closed and fired off a round that surprised the heck out of me. I was attentive enough to not have my finger on the trigger when I removed the stove pipe or I would have unexpectedly dumped the rest of the mag. Yes, I was shooting it left handed.
    Last edited by Hawk; January 8th, 2016 at 02:35 PM.
    Toujours prêt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast