Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Wicen's update???

Just wondering has anyone been to Wicen's recently? I have not been thier now that they made changes and updated the range. I have though heard and read alot of bad reports about the range officers and the training before you shoot and the additional cost. I have been thier before the changes and it was an great place to shoot. Just seeing if anyone here has been thier.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Wicen's update???

I've been a few times since the changes were made. The extra cost is a deterant, but it's the only public long range in the area anymore. I do most of my shooting down at classic now, mainly because of the RSO's. I'm all for safety, but when you set up at your bench and an RSO plants himself next to you and insists on telling you how best to shoot your iron...that rubs me the wrong way. Joe is still a hell of a nice guy, and I do support the range, but he needs to address the RSO issue and quick, or alot of people will just stop going there. Just my 2 pennys.

(Montgomery County)

Thumbs up Re: Wicen's update???

I was there a couple of weeks ago for clay shooting with some friends. They have a really nice set up, but, since it was everyone's first time after the changes, it cost each of us $25! They did throw in a free thrower rental (which I believe normally is a $5 charge), and the next time will be only $15 since the rso signed our range passes. You do [I]have to pay an additional fee for rso certification at each range (I believe the $15 fee gets you on to all ranges)[I]... rifle range, clay field, pistol range, etc. My understanding is that previously you paid one fee for complete access.

The RSO was really chatty, but wouldn't stop me from returning. Its the pricey range fees that are a deterrent.

Overall, the changes are somewhat frustrating, but I guess this is what it takes to keep a range open after some dummy shot over the backstop and hit a house 1/4 to 1/2 mile away!
    Last edited by BucksResident'07; August 12th, 2008 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Clarification of pricing

(Berks County)

The price jumps will keep me from ever going there, and RSOs who sound like the ones you just described will also ensure my money will not be spent there. I left a shoot at Bucks Fish and Game in Doylestown because of an obnoxious RSO and haven't been back.

(Philadelphia County)

I've only ever been there twice. Once when it was "cool", pre incident and pre RSO, pre price hike, pre physical changes. The second time was with all these additions, and I must say that it is not worth the drive for me to go up there with all that nonsense even if it is the only "long" range in the area. You have to pay a fee for each type of firearm you wish to shoot. I only brought rifles that second time, so it was only one fee, but if I wanted to shoot handguns or shotguns, they would have been I think $5 each to get "certified".

It is nothing against the RSO, the one older gentleman who sat next to me was a really nice guy, and we talked about guns for hours.

I'm also big on safety, but I'm just not used to things being that strict. I don't like not even being able to be near your bench, loading mags, doing stuff in your range box, etc.

(Delaware County)

The only time I was at Wicens was for the first Eastie shoot a year or so ago, I thought all the restrictions they had then were too much. Way too rigid and more time outs than shooting. The RO loved to holler at folks.

Of course by the time the eastie shoot was pulled off I had been to the PMSC westies shoots and those shoots are a lot of fun and relaxed, although safe.

Sad to say I'll probably never go back to Wicens, especially now with all the new hoops you have to jump through to shoot.

Bill

(Bucks County)

I shoot at Wicens all the time and am going to add my .02 to the discussion.
    1.The badges and check out by the RSO'a are a one time expense: $10.00 for the 1st position and $ 5.00 for each additional position you choose, Archery is free.
    2. I have yet to run into a rude RSO there, most are extremely helpful,knowledgeable, and ready to offer suggestions. Remember however, their first responsibility is range safety.
    3. Is it a pain not being able to be near the bench during a cease fire? Somewaht. But frankly, I'd rather not have someone loading and handling a firearm while I'm down range, I don't care how experienced they are or think they are.

Wicens is a commercial operation and NRA Certified RSO's are a fact of life and frankly, in my opinion, necessary. I don't want to even guess what insurance costs to keep it open. Fees are used to improve the facilities and if you haven't been there recently, the pistol section is now under cover.
    BTW, they also have a really nice indoor classroom for NRA classes including personal protection.
    NO, I don't work for them.
    Last edited by Johnc; August 10th, 2008 at 11:28 AM.

(Wayne County)

I think it's time for wicen's to have year memberships available. Because their current strategy of raising prices every few months isn't working and it's scaring away shooters. I totally believe in safety and having the RSO's but If I decide I want to go shooting once a week it's going to cost me 100 a month or 1200 a year. Well you can join one hell of a private club for that kind of money. Just my 2 cents.

(Bucks County)

Each of the last 3x I was there, the R.O named Steve overstepped his authority and made what should of been a pleasant experience, annoying. It seems he feels he isn't doing his job unless he is correcting someone on something ALL THE TIME. With my father and son, one time, my son gets done shooting clays and as he is handing me the shotgun with muzzle pointing skyward, this guy SCREAMS in our direction, berating my son and me that the gun was pointing at my face...it wasn't. The older gentleman has always been fine and does not come across so "all-knowing" as this guy Steve does. He is one reason I don't go to Wicen's anymore, and neither does my father..which is a shame because that is where my father taught me how to shoot over 35 years ago, and where we had many a fun afternoon shooting clays/plinkin' cans.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JDC View Post
    I think it's time for wicen's to have year memberships available. Because their current strategy of raising prices every few months isn't working and it's scaring away shooters. I totally believe in safety and having the RSO's but If I decide I want to go shooting once a week it's going to cost me 100 a month or 1200 a year. Well you can join one hell of a private club for that kind of money. Just my 2 cents.
    They were moving in that direction with the Trevose Rod and Gun club. I had been in conversations with the main director of it last year, but he never got things moving and eventually stopped returning my calls. So, I dunno what happened with it.
    I now belong to two different gun clubs, one of which is only 6 miles away and costs me $65 to join($25 of which was initiation fee). The other is cheaper, but is 20 miles away. Both are a much better option to Wicen's weekly shakedown without the hassle of a certain RO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast