Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: LTCF woes

(Northampton County)

Default Re: LTCF woes

Quote Originally Posted by Knightshift View Post
    Don't think they call references any more. They didn't for me and a few others in the south east. Hope that being from NY doesn't taint you.
    They never called, they sent postcards (more recently in envelopes due to lawsuit). Did they give up on that altogether?

Not yet. The day I was going to go, work really picked up, so haven't gotten a chance to make it over there. Monday or Tuesday should be good to go. I'll post here with an update on how it goes. But good news is I just got 2 new guns. So that's always nice.
    So I finally got a day off work and was able to make it down to the Monroe County sheriff. Gave my two references, one from NYC the other from West Virginia. They were willing to accept the references but not the lack of Berkheimer form. Tried to argue the matter with the guy at the desk. A Col. C-something. But he was adamant about not taking the form. So had to leave with my tail between my legs. Now I guess I have 2 options. The easy way would be to just get the Berk form and submit. Or the hard way, and get lawyers involved. Honestly I've always had a tendency to do things the hard way. Any suggestions on lawyers I can contact to discuss the matter with?
    I've dealt with enough unconstitutional nonsense in NYC, kinda getting tired of rolling over.
    Last edited by Nickel Plated; September 19th, 2017 at 11:10 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nickel Plated View Post
    So I finally got a day off work and was able to make it down to the Monroe County sheriff. Gave my two references, one from NYC the other from West Virginia. They were willing to accept the references but not the lack of Berkheimer form. Tried to argue the matter with the guy at the desk. A Col. C-something. But he was adamant about not taking the form. So had to leave with my tail between my legs. Now I guess I have 2 options. The easy way would be to just get the Berk form and submit. Or the hard way, and get lawyers involved. Honestly I've always had a tendency to do things the hard way. Any suggestions on lawyers I can contact to discuss the matter with?
    I've dealt with enough unconstitutional nonsense in NYC, kinda getting tired of rolling over.

I know there is already a lawsuit on the matter.
    http://www.poconorecord.com/news/201...ess-challenged
    Anyone know the lawyer handling this so I can contact them?
    Guess it depends on how badly and how soon you want an LTCF.

Guess it depends on how badly and how soon you want an LTCF.
    Not in a huge hurry to get the license and would much rather have an opportunity to show Sheriff Martin where to stick that Berkheimer form.

(Chester County)

Why the hell do they want the Buttheimer form? Don't think they have the right to demand that. Nothing like that in Chester County.

Well that's kinda the whole issue here. They DON'T have a right to demand that. Infact it's illegal that they do. But they do anyway. What are you gonna do? Walk in and handcuff the sheriff and deputy? Theoretically if you submit without it, they can't deny your application since lack of the form or out of county references are not grounds for denial per PA law. So instead they simply refuse to submit your application to begin with. No application submitted=no application denied=they don't have to give you any reasons. At the end of the day if the officer won't take your application you can't exactly just push him out of the way and process it yourself. The only options are to either submit to their illegal demands or get lawyers involved.

These people aren't stupid. They are well aware of the laws they are breaking. They just have enough experience with it to not get caught. Or nobody bothers catching them. Afterall, "It's just a tax form, just give it to them and move on with your day". That's how NYC got where it is. Don't think that PA is exempt from that universal truth.

Which is why I've never put much faith in laws and constitutions. NYC taught me that. If the bureaucrat at the desk doesn't care then it really doesn't matter what laws you show him. You're just arguing with a wall.

(Bucks County)

Well that's kinda the whole issue here. They DON'T have a right to demand that. Infact it's illegal that they do. But they do anyway. What are you gonna do? Walk in and handcuff the sheriff and deputy? Theoretically if you submit without it, they can't deny your application since lack of the form or out of county references are not grounds for denial per PA law. So instead they simply refuse to submit your application to begin with. No application submitted=no application denied=they don't have to give you any reasons. At the end of the day if the officer won't take your application you can't exactly just push him out of the way and process it yourself. The only options are to either submit to their illegal demands or get lawyers involved.
    Any reason you can't go in with a friend with a video camera and have them film you leaving the application on the counter? You wait for them to approve you, or deny or do nothing and appeal it. If they do nothing and you can prove with the video you submitted it, I think the proper term (not a lawyer and this isn't legal advice) is a constructive denial. But I'd talk a lawyer first and see what they say. If I were in your shoes, it would be worth $100 to $200 to me to get the initial consult.

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post
    Any reason you can't go in with a friend with a video camera and have them film you leaving the application on the counter? You wait for them to approve you, or deny or do nothing and appeal it. If they do nothing and you can prove with the video you submitted it, I think the proper term (not a lawyer and this isn't legal advice) is a constructive denial. But I'd talk a lawyer first and see what they say. If I were in your shoes, it would be worth $100 to $200 to me to get the initial consult.
    Definitely going to get a consult with a lawyer. I know Martin was sued for this specific reason and I believe the suit is still ongoing. But kind of hard to find info about it. I contacted the attorney that's pursuing that case to see what I can do.

(Northampton County)

Definitely going to get a consult with a lawyer. I know Martin was sued for this specific reason and I believe the suit is still ongoing. But kind of hard to find info about it. I contacted the attorney that's pursuing that case to see what I can do.
    If not the guy you're talking about, Joshua Prince is the guy that got them to stop sending postcards to references. He'd know who to deal with for sure.

Keep us posted!

they will deny your ltcf application for not having a berkheimer. i found out on a test a few months back.
    challenging it in court will be costly, they are also mad they're going to lose the major case thats still pending.

ps. they will also steal your money. iirc the books say they can only keep $1.50, you have to pay them $6 with application, they will keep it.
    bentzoni's DD fund i guess.

2019 is sheriff election, something involving a petition is required, you have to go to county office where you'd register to vote, same building as tax assesment and payment.
    not sure how many people have to sign to get you a position on the ballot but i'm giving it a shot, come time. was shooed away by office already, they said to come back a few months before election? not sure if thats right.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast