Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: ATF Rule 41F finalized--CLEO signoff removed, everyone on trust must get BG check

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    Tell tht to some of the sheriffs around here.
    Right now, the sheriffs are allowed to refuse to sign since signing the form is not mandatory for them. But on July 3rd, 2016 they become irrelevant - all you have to do is notify them that you are submitting a Form 1 or Form 4 and there is absolutely nothing they can do about it except to sit on their thumb and spin.

Default Re: ATF Rule 41F finalized--CLEO signoff removed, everyone on trust must get BG check

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    Tell tht to some of the sheriffs around here.
    From what I've been told by my neighbors who have NFA items Todd has always signed off. As stated above it won't matter much soon anyway.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    Dealer doesn't make any money on background check...they are charged by the PSP for the process and have to remit what they collect to PSP. It may have been a CYA SOP for that dealer. That being said $5 isn't a big deal to me, and as I mentioned I'm not 100% sure if the BGC was or wasn't required.

And "NO" IMHO the ATF and NFA don't make much sense.
    Technically that's true, but very unlikely a dealer will run a PICS for only the PSP fee.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    Technically that's true, but very unlikely a dealer will run a PICS for only the PSP fee.
    Every dealer I have purchased from has itemized exactly on my receipt $2.00 per BGC, $3.00 per taxable firearm. This is exactly what the State charges for over the counter purchases. That's from 3 different Dealers.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    Every dealer I have purchased from has itemized exactly on my receipt $2.00 per BGC, $3.00 per taxable firearm. This is exactly what the State charges for over the counter purchases. That's from 3 different Dealers.
    I was thinking of an FFL receiving an item for transfer. Then most charge $25-$50. When buying an item from a dealer's inventory, some costs are just reflected in the price, like logging inventory in and out.

(Lancaster County)

On the issue of fingerprints and photos, I was reading an analysis by John Pierce (of OCDO) and he was picking up something that if you've done fingerprints and photos and bought anything with your trust, you don't need to send in another set for subsequent purchases for 24 months thereafter if there are no other changes to the trust. True or not?
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    I was thinking of an FFL receiving an item for transfer. Then most charge $25-$50. When buying an item from a dealer's inventory, some costs are just reflected in the price, like logging inventory in and out.
    Ok that is a different scenario. I know this is getting off track a bit and I'm not trying to be argumentative but I like to keep things honest and not let urban myth perpetuate. I'll try and keep this brief & on point.

Regardless of what the transfer price is, PA has chosen to be what they call a Point of Contact (POC) State where they manage/conduct the background checks beyond NICS. The PSP charges $2 to the Dealer for each background check done. Some states simply use NICS which is free of charge.

You don't honestly expect a dealer to transfer a firearm to you from a competitor for $2 that they then have to give to the PSP do you?

Transfer fees are no different than retail mark ups. A dealer has to stay competitive to stay in business and the internet dealers have a very large customer market. So the local shop where you choose to have the transfer has a choice to make. Some make transfer fees high enough to defeat the break you are getting buy shopping online, some will refuse it outright. Either way they may say they charge $25+ PICS($2.00 in this case) or they may say they charge $25, and then remit $2 and only profit $23. When you buy a firearm via a transfer from another dealer you are most likely doing so sales tax free (despite the "USE TAX" requirement that you're supposed to self report).
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    This is a surprisingly sane set of changes:
    - looks like they incorporate the "citizenship" form, which is a minor but "common sense" move;

whats this mean?
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    whats this mean?
    I think on my last form last year it was already incorporated.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    I think on my last form last year it was already incorporated.
    Last Form1 I filed(July 2015), it was not required to fill out form 5330.20(or Certification of Compliance) any more. is that what its talking about?
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast