Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default Toomey challengers......... who are you going to support?

I know many of us are still stinging from Toomeys betrayal in 2013 an his more recent reiteration of the bill. But it does not seem like there are any Republican challengers and his 3 main democratic opponents have been announced. I know many people have said that they will never vote for Toomey which by default is support for one of his opponents. Voting against Toomey is a 2 vote swing Not voting is a one vote swing, either way it is support for his opponent. Who are his Opponents and where do they stand on the 2nd? I will post a bit about each in subsequent posts but below is a summary from the Daily Times.

This is not a situation I relish being in. I despise Toomey because of his bill with Manchin. But I also know that the Democrats desperately want to regain control of the Senate and this will be a key race that the National Democratic party will be spending time and money to regain the Senate. I will be swallowing my pride and voting for Toomey because giving the Democrats control is not something we can afford, especially if Hillary gets in there.

What are you all going to do? Who are you going to support by voting for a specific candidate, or by not voting at all?

http://www.delcotimes.com/general-ne...sen-pat-toomey

HARRISBURG, Pa. >> Unseating first-term Republican U.S. Sen. Pat Toomey won’t be easy, and the Pennsylvania Democrats vying for the party nomination will first have to figure out how to capture voters’ imagination.

None of the three — Joe Sestak, Katie McGinty and John Fetterman — are household names or have held statewide office. They are also virtually identical on bedrock Democratic Party issues, from supporting the Affordable Care Act and abortion rights to backing President Barack Obama on immigration reform and climate change.
    With less than five months until the April 26 primary, the unpredictable mood of the electorate may determine how Democrats will choose among the candidates, analysts and party strategists said.
    “I don’t think you can rule that out as a motivating factor if the candidates don’t have enough to differentiate themselves,” said Terry Madonna, a pollster and political science professor at Franklin & Marshall College in Lancaster.

Registered Democrats outnumber Republicans in Pennsylvania by a 4-3 ratio, and beating Toomey will be of the utmost importance for Democrats to retake control of the Senate. The race is expected to be nationally watched, with tens of millions of dollars pouring in, mostly for TV ads.

For now, Toomey appears to be uncontested in the primary and backed by a unified Republican Party.
    Each of his potential Democratic foes has strengths.
    In a sense, Sestak, 64, never stopped running for a rematch with Toomey. He retired from the Navy in 2006 after reaching the rank of vice admiral and went on to serve two U.S. House terms from Delaware County. In 2010, Toomey beat him by 2 percentage points, but he built a volunteer network and he has maintained good will among rank-and-file Democrats after becoming a regular on the local party event circuit.
    The ability to raise money will be of prime importance, and McGinty, 52, could be the Democrats’ best fundraiser. Senior party officials and donors recruited her and she has strong connections to top Democrats — she served as a top aide to former Gov. Ed Rendell, current Gov. Tom Wolf and in the Clinton White House. She ran for governor in 2014, finishing fourth in the four-way primary.
    Fetterman is a newcomer to statewide electoral politics and virtually unknown in eastern Pennsylvania, but he is a national media darling for his unconventional efforts to revive the impoverished, dying Pittsburgh-area steel town of Braddock where he has been mayor since 2005. The 46-year-old is also bound to be popular with younger voters: He’s 6’8”, tattooed with a shaved head and goatee, and is most often seen in a black Dickey’s work shirt, cargo shorts and work boots.
    The shrinking middle class is a key campaign focus of all three candidates, and Fetterman isn’t pulling punches in his efforts to highlight his career in Braddock.
    “They say they’re for the middle class, but I’m not sure what in their professional background supports that,” Fetterman said.
    For McGinty, her parents’ blue-collar roots are a prominent theme.
    “I’m in this race to stand with working families and to rebuild the middle class,” McGinty said. “It’s personal for me. As the ninth of 10 kids and the first in my family to go to college, I’ve been privileged to live the American dream.”
    Sestak’s campaign makes much of the theme that he is “walking in your shoes” after he kicked off his campaign last spring by walking across the state.
    “I wanted to show people that I would walk in their shoes and understand their hopes and concerns, their challenges,” Sestak told a WILK-FM radio interviewer last month.
    The middle class aside, Sestak could benefit if the fight against terrorism shapes the election. His national security credentials are a campaign emphasis — staff aides refer to him “the admiral.”
    Should breaking the glass ceiling become a driving theme — and it could if Hillary Clinton seals the presidential nomination — that could favor McGinty. Pennsylvania has never had a female U.S. senator and men make up Pennsylvania’s entire 19-member congressional delegation.
    If the voters seek out a Bernie Sanders-style anti-politician, then Fetterman could be their man.
    In the meantime, two important dates could help determine the relative strengths of the candidates: the Jan. 15 deadline to disclose their latest campaign fundraising performance, and Jan. 23, when state party committee members could consider a primary endorsement vote.
    Feb. 16 is the deadline to file enough signatures to get on the ballot.

FACTS ABOUT PENNSYLVANIA’S CANDIDATES FOR US SENATE
    A look at the backgrounds of the candidates running in the April 26 primary for the Democratic and Republican nominations for U.S. Senate:
    ___
    NAME: Joe Sestak
    PARTY: Democrat
    EDUCATION: B.S., U.S. Naval Academy (1974); master’s degree, Harvard University (1981); Ph.D., Harvard (1984).
    EXPERIENCE: Officer (vice admiral), U.S. Navy, (1974-2006); White House director for defense policy (1994-97); U.S. representative, Pennsylvania’s 7th District (2007-2011); unsuccessful candidate for U.S. Senate (2010); recipient, General Omar N. Bradley Chair in Strategic Leadership (2013-14).
    FAMILY: Sestak and his wife, Susan, live in Edgmont, Delaware County. They have one child.
    ___
    NAME: Katie McGinty
    EDUCATION: B.S., St. Joseph’s University (1985); J.D., Columbia University Law School (1988).
    EXPERIENCE: Legislative assistant to U.S. Sen. Al Gore (1989-1993); chairwoman, White House Council on Environmental Quality (1993-1998); adviser to Gore presidential campaign (2000); vice president, Natsource LLC (2001-2003); secretary, Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (2003-2008); senior vice president, Weston Solutions Inc. (2010-2013); unsuccessful candidate for governor (2014); chairwoman, Campaign for a Fresh Start (2014); chief of staff, Gov. Tom Wolf’s administration (2015).
    FAMILY: McGinty and her husband, Karl Hausker, live in Wayne, Chester County. They have three daughters.
    ___
    NAME: John Fetterman
    EDUCATION: B.S., Albright College (1991); master’s, University of Connecticut (1993); master’s, Harvard University (1999).
    EXPERIENCE: Member, Americorps (1995-1997); program coordinator, Braddock Out of School Youth Program (2001-2006); founder, Braddock Redux (2003-present); mayor, Braddock Borough (2005-present).
    FAMILY: Fetterman and his wife, Gisele, live in Braddock, Allegheny County. They have three children.
    ___
    NAME: Pat Toomey
    PARTY: Republican
    EDUCATION: B.S., Harvard University (1984).
    EXPERIENCE: Investment banker, Chemical Bank (1984-86), Morgan Grenfell Co. (1986-90); financial consultant, Springfield Limited (1990-91); restaurateur (1990-2001); U.S. representative, Pennsylvania’s 15th District (1999-2005); unsuccessful candidate for U.S. Senate (2004); president, Club for Growth (2005-09); co-chairman, Team Capital Bank (2005-09); U.S. senator, Pennsylvania (2011-present).
    FAMILY: Toomey and his wife, Kris, live in Zionsville, Lehigh County. They have three children.

Default Re: Toomey challengers......... who are you going to support?

Katie McGinty

http://www.politicspa.com/pa-sen-mcg...on-guns/69734/

PA-Sen: McGinty Challenges Toomey on Guns

Written by Nick Field, Managing Editor

Guns have once again moved to the forefront of the 2016 Senate race.
    In the wake of the shooting in Roseburg, Oregon Democratic candidate Katie McGinty is calling on Sen. Pat Toomey to take legislative action.
    After the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary,Toomey co-sponsored legislation to expand background checks. The bill failed to make it out of the Senate. Last month, the McGinty campaign accused the Senator of backing away from this legislation because of pressure from a pro-gun group.
    “Two years ago, following the devastating tragedy at Sandy Hook, you did the right thing when you co-sponsored and introduced the Public Safety and Second Amendment Rights Protection Act of 2013,” McGinty writes in an open letter to the incumbent.
    “The press recently reported that you will not be reintroducing your legislation,” she continued. “I hope that you will reconsider and I urge you to reintroduce the Public Safety and Second Amendment Rights Protection Act.”
    PoliticsPA reached out to the Toomey campaign but did not receive a response.
    The full text of McGinty’s letter to the Senator is included below:
    Dear Senator Toomey:
    Two years ago, following the devastating tragedy at Sandy Hook, you did the right thing when you co-sponsored and introduced the Public Safety and Second Amendment Rights Protection Act of 2013. That legislation would have made it more difficult for criminals and the mentally ill to purchase firearms by expanding background checks to include firearms purchased at gun shows and other private sales.
    In Oregon last week we once again witnessed another tragedy due to senseless gun violence, but it is not an isolated incident. Sadly, there have been 142 school shootings since that tragic day in Connecticut in 2012.
    As someone who served in the White House, I know that passing meaningful legislation takes time and repeated, persistent effort. It can be a frustrating and disappointing exercise. But I also know that if you are truly committed to doing the right thing – and you truly believe in your efforts – you do not let failure deter you. You keep on trying until you secure the votes needed to pass the legislation.
    Last week’s event in Oregon serves as a tragic reminder that we cannot give up when it comes to making our communities safer from the scourge of gun violence. We cannot walk away from passing important legislation that will save lives simply because there is well funded opposition.
    As someone who grew up in a household with avid hunters, I believe that commonsense gun safety legislation is not incongruent with the 2nd Amendment. Responsible hunters and sportsmen know that some safeguards are needed to prevent tragedy.
    The press recently reported that you will not be reintroducing your legislation. I hope that you will reconsider and I urge you to reintroduce the Public Safety and Second Amendment Rights Protection Act.
    This goes beyond politics. Now more than ever, we need leadership on this critical issue. Lives depend on it. I hope that you will act.
    Sincerely,
    Katie McGinty

Jon Fetterman
    https://m.facebook.com/JohnFetterman...5019738099312/

SK: You’re a gun owner. Seven out of the nine dates tattooed on your arm were murders that were a result of gun violence. There have been gun battles in the streets of Braddock that involved assault weapons. You’ve said in the past that gun control can’t be “reactionary,” and that it should be bipartisan. Expanded background checks have near-universal support, somewhere in the 90% range. Pat Toomey burned a lot of bridges trying to pass it in the Senate. What more could you offer on the topic of gun control?
    JF: I am. My position is, everyone who owns a gun must be and should want everyone else to be a responsible gun owner. If I was going to have to sell my car to somebody I would have to show proof of insurance. I would have to show that I have a driver’s license. There’s no symmetry in the logic there. A car is a documented transaction. I want the same thing. What I tell people who are frustrated is that as much as we hate to acknowledge it, the other side gets a vote. As long as things are the way they are, there’s going to continue to be a gun stalemate until everybody collectively acknowledges that we have to change this. The NRA should be championing this louder than anybody. Wouldn’t you want it held to the highest standards? It seems contradictory.

Mpre on Fetterman, too long to cut and paste

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/271236/john-fetterman-mayor-braddock-interview/
    Last edited by internet troll; January 3rd, 2016 at 09:18 PM.

Joe Sestak

http://www.ontheissues.org/Domestic/...un_Control.htm

Joe Sestak on Gun Control

Democrat

Extend the ban on assault weapons

On crime, Specter pointed to his support for bills to toughen sentences for career criminals, while Sestak said he would support an extension of the ban on assault weapons, which Specter opposed.Source: Lehigh Valley Live coverage of 2010 PA Senate debate , May 1, 2010Close the Gun Show Loophole; restrict show sales.

Sestak signed H.R.2324& S.843
    1. Makes it unlawful for any person to operate a gun show unless such person:
    2. has attained 21 years of age;
    3. is not prohibited from transporting, shipping, or receiving firearms and has not violated any federal firearms requirements;
    4. has registered with the Attorney General as a gun show operator and has provided a photograph and fingerprints;
    5. has not concealed material information nor made false statements in connection with a gun show operator registration; and
    6. notifies the Attorney General of the date, time, and duration of a gun show not later than 30 days before the commencement of such show and verifies the identity of each vendor at the gun show.

Imposes recordkeeping requirements on gun show operators and criminal penalties for failure to register as a gun show operator and maintain required records. Increases criminal penalties for serious recordkeeping violations and violations of criminal background check requirements. Authorizes the Director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) to hire additional investigators to carry out inspections of gun shows.Source: Gun Show Loophole Closing Act 09-HR2324 on May 7, 2009Rated F by the NRA, indicating a pro-gun control voting record.

Sestak scores F by NRA on pro-gun rights policiesWhile widely recognized today as a major political force and as America's foremost defender of Second Amendment rights, the National Rifle Association (NRA) has, since its inception, been the premier firearms education organization in the world. But our successes would not be possible without the tireless efforts and countless hours of service our nearly three million members have given to champion Second Amendment rights and support NRA programs.
    The following ratings are based on lifetime voting records on gun issues and the results of a questionaire sent to all Congressional candidates; the NRA assigned a letter grade (with A+ being the highest and F being the lowest).

• What the Grades Mean:
    • A+: A legislator with not only an excellent voting record on all critical NRA issues, but who has also made a vigorous effort to promote and defend the Second Amendment.
    • A: Solidly pro-gun candidate including voting record.
    • AQ: A pro-gun candidate whose rating is based solely on the NRA-PVF Candidate Questionnaire and who does not have a voting record.
    • B: A generally pro-gun candidate; may have opposed some pro-gun reform in the past.
    • C: A candidate with a mixed record or positions on gun related issues, who may oppose some pro-gun positions.
    • D: An anti-gun candidate who usually supports restrictive gun control legislation. Regardless of public statements, can usually be counted on to vote wrong on key issues.
    • F: True enemy of gun owners' rights. A consistent anti-gun candidate.
    • ?: Refused to answer the NRA-PVF Candidate Questionnaire, often an indication of indifference, if not outright hostility, to gun owners' rights.
    Last edited by internet troll; January 3rd, 2016 at 09:15 PM.

(Erie County)

Yea, just waiting for some super-conservative nut job like Rick Santorum to win the Republican primary, ensuring the moderates in the state will vote for an idiot like Sestak, and put Sestak in the Senate.

What a plan!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MrPeanut View Post
    Yea, just waiting for some super-conservative nut job like Rick Santorum to win the Republican primary, ensuring the moderates in the state will vote for an idiot like Sestak, and put Sestak in the Senate.

What a plan!
    Worked well every time in the past. Well, worked out well for the dems.

(Northampton County)

As previously discussed, I'm waiting to see what the Senate race looks like. If it's reasonably predictable we will keep or win a number of seats that one seat won't help or hurt, I will do everything I can to get rid of Toomey. If it looks uncertain or close to 60 seats (or close to 50) then I will hold my nose and vote for Toomey, but I certainly won;t do him any favors above that.

We can't ditch every Republican that doesn't make us happy or isn't perfect. The Left won't do that, so us doing it would be suicide. Look at Wolf, I'd like to have Corbett back.

But Toomey isn't governor. He's 1 in a hundred. Or, if you prefer, one in about 400. And he's also not every Republican that let us down, he is the one traitor, the champion of gun control, the one absolute poster child that should be made an example of. These people do need to be reminded that they will be held accountable for this shit, because their recent behavior in general suggests that think they won't be and take our vote for granted, assuming they can get away with anything.

So I would hope we could make a smart, calculated decision about this. Problem is, I (and We) probably only have the power to influence a few thousand votes at best. FOAC, the NRA, and GOA are not going to make a calculated political decision for their voter recommendations, they will assess Toomey on his merits in a vacuum. Which is their job I suppose.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Montgomery County)

McGinty and Sestak are anti 2A. Toomey is luke warm on 2A. What is not clear is what Fetterman's positions are. looked him up and found this at: tp://www.ontheissues.org/Domestic/John_Fetterman_Gun_Control.htm

Armed with a shotgun, Fetterman confronted a man after hearing what he thought to be gunfire in the streets last weekend. Fetterman said that he hurried to get his young son inside his home when he heard about a dozen gunshots around 4 p.m. Fetterman said he saw a man take off on foot, wearing a face mask and goggles. He called 911 and got into his truck and pursued. `No one could know what was going on at that point, other than a large number of shots were fired,` said Fetterman. `I made a decision as a parent, and as a mayor, to intervene until the first responders could get there.`
    Fetterman said he had a 20-gauge shotgun in his vehicle, and he brandished it when he caught up to the person and ordered him to stop, not knowing if the person was armed. `I did remove a weapon from my car, but I did not point it at him. In fact, I didn't even have a round chambered or the safety off.` The mayor was joined by police officers responding to his 911 call, & the officers took control of the situation.
    Not to smart to confront a probably armed person without a round in the chamber. However, we at least know he has some balls and a gun.
    Last edited by Cyclops; January 3rd, 2016 at 10:26 PM.

(Northampton County)

Sounds like New Jersey Mayor Cory Booker's BS publicity stunts.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Tioga County)

I think the problem is that we don't have a candidate to challenge Toomey and it's a bit late. He's already got a war chest for his re-election campaign and the PA GOP doesn't want to contest his position.

If a candidate can be found there is nothing wrong with giving him some competition and making him earn it.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast