Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default 30-06 Springfield Recommendations

I'm going to start shooting my dad's old Remington Model 7600 and I need some recommendations on accurate factory loaded 30-06 Springfield ammunition.

I'm thinking Hornady, most likely the 180gr GMX.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: 30-06 Springfield Recommendations

Mist likely to be accurate out of most 30-06 barrels is probably Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr using Sierra bullets: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/953...oint-boat-tail

Alternatively, since Black Hills doesn't make ammo that fails . . . though its on clearance . . . I'd try their 168gr Match using Hornady bullets: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/680...tail-box-of-20

Haven't used them in my 30-06, but have tested FGMM vs Lapua vs Norma match 168s out of my 308 . . . FGMM and Lapua were very accurate, and gave me a benchmark for developing my own 167/168gr loads.

(Beaver County)

I've got a 700 BDL in 30-06 and it only likes 150grn Nosler bullets. I use their green tip in reloading or for factory ammo you can try the Winchester Silver ballistic tips. (Technicly the same bullet). The ones in the nickle case with the black bullet. Those keep mine at 1" groups at 100yrds. Got a bit cold out for me to continue hand rolling and experimenting.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Bucks County)

Our group has had good luck shooting the Hornady 150gr superformance ammo out of our pump guns. We get groups around an inch or less in some of the rifles but since these are hunting rifles they don't get shot much outside of hunting season to test accuracy.

I second the Federal Gold Medal Match and Hornady also has match ammo with the 168gr A-Max you could try.

(Allegheny County)

Its been years since i shot factory ammo out of my 760 but used both Rem 150gr CoreLokt and Winchester Silvertips IIRC.
    Most guys i knew with these pumpguns were getting 2 to 2 1/2" groups.
    im sure ammo availabe today has evolved a bit to bring groups in.
    i started handloading and have used Nosler BT's along wwith downloading the powder to get 1 to 1 1/4" groups guys say they get now with factory ammo.

Gives me something to do. Ha.

Good luck. I would think that certain kiinds of ammo/ rifle combos shoot better in certain guns.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Solaran_X View Post
    I'm going to start shooting my dad's old Remington Model 7600 and I need some recommendations on accurate factory loaded 30-06 Springfield ammunition.

I'm thinking Hornady, most likely the 180gr GMX.
    No need to get fancy with the bullet - just about any 150 or 180 gn pill will work fine.

Here are two loads for the 760 and 7600 that we use:

Here's a starting load (and potentially the most accurate) with a 36,000 CUP. If you hit'em, they're going down:

Bullet: 150 gr Rem Jacketed Spire point
    Powder:48.0 IMR 4064
    Primer: Fed GM210M
    Vel: 2695 fps

And a heavier load at 57,000 PSI for any game in North Amemrica:

Bullet 180 gr RN
    Powder: 48.0 gr IMR 4064
    Primer : Federal GM210M
    Velocity: 2650 fps
    OAL: 3.22"
    Crimp: .333

If you want to get the most out of that fine rifle, be sure to prep your brass: resize the case, trim to correct length, chamfer the mouth of the case, & debur the inside of the primer pocket. Deburring that primer pocket alone contributes about 70% to any increased accuracy you will experience with your reloads for you would be amazed at what comes out of the inside of the primer pocket on some brass.

The heavier bullet is certainly more than you need for deer but some will hunt with no other!

Hope this helps....
    - bamboomaster

I went with some 150gr Winchester Silvertip Ballistics to sight in the rifle. Its an old ass Bushnell 3-12 scope, not sure what the objective lens size is or even the model of the scope. Might swap it out in the future for some fashion of Vortex scope. And the trigger pull on that old 7600 is atrocious. My first shot was a true flier, since I had no idea at all when it was going to fire. The weight has to be at least 10 pounds - I know it was heavier than the stock trigger on my SCAR 17S. Definitely getting a Timney disconnector and spring set for this thing.

I got most of the rounds hitting in the center of the target at 50 yards. Once I get the Timney trigger (not exactly a priority), I'll take it back out to 100 yards and see what it does.

(Columbia County)

My early Remington 700 seems to like Federal blue box the best. I mostly shoot 150gr, Hornady AW/Rem corlok and Federal blue box all seem to shoot about the same. I have had poor results from Perfecta and the PPU I've run.

(Wayne County)

Deth-jeep, I have a Weatherby Vanguard with a 1in 10 twist. I bought Hornady Whitetail 150gr and it shot real good, sub moa out of that rifle. Midway just had the Fed blue box 150gr on sale for 19.99 and the ratings were all 5 star, I bought a bunch. I also used Hornady Superformance 165gr SST 2 years ago to take my bear, again very accurate ammo. Get ya some cheap stuff, you might be surprised.