Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Students for concealed carry on campus

I am currently a student at a well-known University in Philadelphia. I am also a new gun owner with a LTCF. In the past year, CCW rights and University policies that restrict weapons on campus have become central debate areas with gun-owner rights. Obviously, any logical individual understands both the risks involved with guns on campus as well as the reasons that an individual should be allowed to carry on campus. In my opinion, private universities have greater justification for limiting carry on campus over a state school, however, I am neutral on the topic whether students should be allowed to carry or not.

Two common arguements that have led the debate:

For Carry:

What if a shooting on campus occurs, the gunman is in a classroom, and the police can't get in. The shooter begins taking the lives of students. With my consealed firearm, I can end the situation.

Against:

Students on campus with CF are at a party, drunk. Having the firearm places all students at greater risk.

I would like to know what people think about this topic. After discussing the issue with friends, many are agains the idea for campus carry. As I said, I could go either way.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Students for concealed carry on campus

You know everyone is going to be for it, but anyway:

As a college student I'm for it. The type of people that go through all the BS in philly to get a LTCF aren't the type to get wasted and shoot someone at a party.

Police will almost certainly have a response time of 5 minutes or more in most situations and I'd prefer to be shooting back for those 5 minutes than crying in a corner.

As of now my plan if I hear shots fired is to barricade the door and get people ready to throw desks, chairs, and books if the gunman attempts to come in. I would much rather be able to just point my CCW at the door and wait.

The problem is that so many college students are hippies, and thus too scared to take responsibility for themselves.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!” ~Samuel Adams

You cannot invade America. There is a rifle behind every blade of grass.” ~ Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

(Montgomery County)

I agree. Individuals that spend time to obtain a LTCF are more likely to be responsible with ownership. Carry on campus would also remidy my having to go home on the weekends for range time. Id much rather shoot in the city...the ranges are better, and believe it or not, cheaper!

(Allegheny County)

Start a SCCC chapter in your university and do something.

(Montgomery County)

One already exists...our campus also has a police force, so the chances of changing current univ. policy is small.

(Allegheny County)

No, its almost non existent, but thats not the point. Wasn't aware you had it on your campus, get active then

(Montgomery County)

Also being a student at a big-name university in Philadelphia, I'm all for SCCC.

Quote Originally Posted by ach382 View Post
    Students on campus with CF are at a party, drunk. Having the firearm places all students at greater risk.
    Arguable that most parties take place off-campus (is Greek housing on campus?) and thus university policy does not apply.

Damn, where are all you guys?! This city is too damned big. Im at Drexel and am trying to get active in the SCCC here, but unfortunately the two leaders that we have are either too busy with their own crap, or just don't care enough to start anything up. I want to get an empty holster day going to show how many students are being left unarmed because of University Rules. Another thing on my list is to write a letter to someone (still have to figure out who) about the policy. *EDIT* I apologize, I misread the policy. It clearly states no weapons on campus or in buildings. */EDIT* And you can't carry while in a vehicle on campus. Does that include bicycles? The Streets through campus?

So YES I think anyone that is legally able to carry should be able to do so on campus. Private Universities are different because of the Private part, but I'm not going to just sit here and do nothing about their stupid policy. Perhaps I overshot this thread? Sorry!
    Last edited by moose; August 7th, 2008 at 01:22 PM.

They're just like small children, Its an EGO thing, " well if I can't have it this way, then I want it this way"..WAAAAAH - BrownBear (speaking of liberals)

I went to Penn... not saying that you do as well, but there was plenty of crime on campus. My sister went to LaSalle and was mugged at gunpoint. Obviously Temple, Drexel and even St.Joe's and Villanova have their fair share of crime.

Penn was (and probably still is) a very liberal University. I can't imagine a group like this would go over w/o a ton of resistance there. Nothing easy is worth fighting for, right?

(Lehigh County)

I go to a local community college, where I think theres a greater threat than in a city like Philly. It takes less of an education to get in here (damnit), and I think theres more of a chance of someone stupid, with access to a firearm, to show up. Its a rural area with Bethlehem area School Disctricts around it, and the police barracks are about 10 minutes away. The campus security is armed with Batons. Unless they've perfected their Jedi ways, I dont think they would help against an armed adversary.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast