Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Two Long Years of Gathering Parts - AR15 Build

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    Looks good EM. I have a couple light weight AR's with 16" pencil barrels, my Colt 6720 weighs in at right around 6 lbs. My M4's with 14.5" barrels with extended A2 flash hiders are just a little heavier, not much.

Fact is any current 14.5" or 16" govt profile barrel be it pencil, M4 or A2 will be much lighter than your Rock River HBAR.

Yeah, I didn't realize it had a heavy barrel. I've never had the handguards off before.

I've had the thing since around 2008 or so. I knew very little about them and just bought a kit without really fully understanding what the all the specs meant.

Here's the RRA kit used for my first carbine and below are the barrel profiles with the one I have shown in the middle.

Glad the PSA upper has a lightweight barrel for sure. Learn something new every day.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Yeah, I didn't realize it had a heavy barrel. I've never had the handguards off before.

I've had the thing since around 2008 or so. I knew very little about them and just bought a kit without really fully understanding what the all the specs meant.

Here's the RRA kit used for my first carbine and below are the barrel profiles with the one I have shown in the middle.

Glad the PSA upper has a lightweight barrel for sure. Learn something new every day.
    Only AR heavy barrels I buy are used on my precision AR's. All others are light weight Govt profile under hand guards.

(Butler County)

Channeling my inner arfcom: stake that castle nut.

On the pencil barrel: they heat up under rapid fire and groups open up "faster" than a government cut or bull barrel. Being a fan of extremes, I only own two ARs at present: one with a fairly heavy barrel profile and a colt 6720 with a pencil barrel. Until the colt barrel is really warm, the difference in accuracy to 300m is negligible. The difference in weight is not: the 6720 is sub 7 pounds with the optic, weapon light, etc on the gun. I'm glad to read your take on the minimalist stock, because that's the next diet the colt is going to get. Lightweight ARs are nice.

For $700' you've got a very nice build there. Time to get out and see how she runs.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by pyld View Post
    Channeling my inner arfcom: stake that castle nut.

On the pencil barrel: they heat up under rapid fire and groups open up "faster" than a government cut or bull barrel. Being a fan of extremes, I only own two ARs at present: one with a fairly heavy barrel profile and a colt 6720 with a pencil barrel. Until the colt barrel is really warm, the difference in accuracy to 300m is negligible. The difference in weight is not: the 6720 is sub 7 pounds with the optic, weapon light, etc on the gun. I'm glad to read your take on the minimalist stock, because that's the next diet the colt is going to get. Lightweight ARs are nice.

For $700' you've got a very nice build there. Time to get out and see how she runs.

Hahahahaha! You win the prize for "first person to ask/mention staking of castle nut"!

Shit. If memory serves, I think my RRA build was tightened using a screwdriver and a hammer.
    I went all out and bought a wrench this time around. Maybe I'll stake it, maybe I won't.

It's funny. I never even thought about the weight of my RRA carbine before having this one as a comparison.
    In my infinite wisdom I also just added an A2 carry handle to it. I didn't realize THOSE were as heavy as they are.
    May as well buy an anchor for it while I'm at it. LOL

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by stainless View Post
    It's not a real gun until it is sitting on a pile of driveway rocks...

Proof that it's mine...

(Allegheny County)

Needs fatty M4 hand guards

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    Needs fatty M4 hand guards

Look at the first photo in this thread.

That's what this PSA upper came with. I assume that's what you mean. They're more or less "oval" and I couldn't stand them. I took the hand guards off my RRA and put them on this temporarily.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Look at the first photo in this thread.

That's what this PSA upper came with. I assume that's what you mean. They're more or less "oval" and I couldn't stand them. I took the hand guards off my RRA and put them on this temporarily.
    Yes oval, I know I'm just messing with ya.

(Allegheny County)

Hey, since I was asked about the total price of the RRA 2 stage by a few people, I thought I'd pop back in to let you know I found the statement that shows the total price with shipping.
    $70 was the total. (trigger is on special for $62)
    RRA Specials link

(Berks County)

Good job EM. All you need now is the pistol grip. Those hard plastics suck IMHO. I do believe that you stated you were going to swap it out.

Nice rocks...

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast