Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Suggestions for Moderately-Priced Safe

I've seen this discussed a few times in the archives, but nothing that either answered the question well or had the info I was looking for. I'm looking to purchase a safe with the following characteristics:

• Holds 8-10 Rifles
    • Shelves for pistols, ammo, etc.
    • *MECHANICAL* lock - must not be electronic
    • drilled for back mounting - I want to bolt the back into a cement block wall rather than fasten it to floor bolts
    • UL-listed RSC classification at minimum

I'm not looking for the most secure container possible because any determined, skilled criminal with enough undisturbed time is going to get into anything I can possibly afford - just looking to prevent the petty thief, home invasion robberies, etc. Any moderately priced recommendation is welcome, especially since everything I've found so far has electronic PIN locks and bolts to the floor.

Any local and/or used items shops in the western PA region (e.g. Allegheny, Butler, Beaver, Lawrence, Mercer Counties) people can recommend would also be helpful.

Thanks.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Suggestions for Moderately-Priced Safe

Perhaps it would help to give a maximum price you are willing/able to spend since these things tend to vary wildly in price depending on construction/features.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Dauphin County)

Safes that provide good fire as well as burglar protection would be my recommendation. Everything I see that fits my desired criteria is in the $2,500-$3,500 price range.

Gander Mountain, Bass Pro etc. have units that may provide a little deterrence and fire protection as you describe for $800 - $1,500.

I have been looking into:
    http://www.sturdysafe.com/
    http://www.amsecusa.com/Gun_Safes/

Sturdy is currently at the top of my list.
    NRA Life Member. OC is comfy!

(Indiana County)

If you are looking for a lower priced, but still half decent one, this may be what you are after:
    http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...ductId=3954453

It is a floor mount, but I would imagine that the back could be drilled for mounting points by someone that has the right tools.
    And really, it weighs 255 empty, add all your stuff and you might be looking at 500+ pounds depending on how much ammo you have and if it is going to be down a flight of steps getting that up a set of stairs would be no easy task for your average intruder.

Here are some at Grices in Clearfield, a bit of a drive for you, but at least it gives you an idea on pricing:
    http://issuu.com/digitalwires/docs/c...ine&mode=embed
    http://www.gricegunshop.com/

I have a Patriot safe by Merlot(Might be spelled wrong) Google Patriot safes. They do have electronic locks but you can just use the 2 different keys they give you also. Mine is too small but it was the most I could afford at the time. Definitly get the largest you can afford. My safe also has a 2hr fire rating and came with lighting built in. It is floor mount though but the company seemed to be very accommodating maybe they could do something if you call them. I have no ties to this company!!!! Just a happy customer. Oh I have the closet model it is 600lbs so think about where you want it I had to move mine twice!! DOH!. Good luck das
    [SIGPIC]

(Bucks County)

I got a browning theftguard safe for 899 from tanners. Its fireproof, holds 12-24 rifles, has an electronic keypad, and includes a rifle rack in the door. It's actually made by prosteel but bears the browning name. I had a problem with the keypad, but prosteel sent me a new one with instructions on how to install it free of charge. Since then I've had no problems. It's a lower end seargent and greenleaf lock that is not known for reliability, so keep that in mind. IMO it's a good deal for the money.

ETA: just saw that you are looking for one with a mechanical lock. They sell one with the mechanical lock for 849 which is exactly the same in every other way. One other thing to keep in mind is to get more space than you think you need. It will fill up fast, and you don't wanna have to buy a new safe. Also they advertise safes for about double what they really can hold, unless you have all lever actions with no scopes. If you have ar15's, or anything with scopes, you will not be able to hold nearly as many as the safe is advertised for.
    Last edited by bac0nfat; December 19th, 2010 at 02:05 PM.

(Berks County)

Without looking at the above link to Dick's, I just got the Stack-On 24 gun safe for 499. It is floor mount though you can back mount it with a drill. I don't know how that would affect the fire rating. I am sure you could "insulate" the lag bolt and hole with a pipe coupling and some silicon if the safe wont sit flush with the wall.

Smile Re: Suggestions for Moderately-Priced Safe

Hi! I just went through this last year myself and after looking at several different brands I chose the Heritage Manufacturing safe.
    One thing to look at is the size or capacity, as most only hold about half as many guns as they are listed for, especially if you have scoped rifles, without marking the guns really bad. I wouldn't recommend anything but a safe with a fire rating of at least 60 minutes minimum, more if you can afford it.
    I priced several places and Sportsmans Supply in Butler, PA. had the best prices and selection, sometimes they run sales or no sales tax days, so be sure to ask. They have basic smaller safes with mechanical locks up to larger fancier ones, as I recall. I bought the middle grade 52 gun safe and I am glad I did, because my small collection seems to be growing and more than half are scoped guns. If you go to Sportsman's ask for Curt, he is a good guy and will explain everything about the safe you need know. That's my 2 cents, good luck! Coop204
    Last edited by Coop204; December 19th, 2010 at 04:18 PM.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Perhaps it would help to give a maximum price you are willing/able to spend since these things tend to vary wildly in price depending on construction/features.
    Good point, would have been helpful criteria to include. I could stretch out to $1000 but I'd really love to stay under $750.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Coop204 View Post
    I priced several places and Sportsmans Supply in Butler, PA. .... If you go to Sportsman's ask for Curt, he is a good guy and will explain everything about the safe you need know.
    Thanks! I've heard a lot about Sportaman's but never had the occasion to get up there. Sound like I now have my reason.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast