Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Pennsylvania License to carry firearms?

Does that in itself say you can carry openly. I know you don't need a LTCF to carry OC. But if you have this don't that pretty much mean you can carry openly if you so desire? It's not called a CCW (carry concealed weapons). Just thinking out loud.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Pennsylvania License to carry firearms?

Quote Originally Posted by algoesfast View Post
    Does that in itself say you can carry openly. I know you don't need a LTCF to carry OC. But if you have this don't that pretty much mean you can carry openly if you so desire? It's not called a CCW (carry concealed weapons). Just thinking out loud.
    You can openly carry without a LTCF unless your in a car then you need a LTCF, otherwise no LTCF needed to open carry

(York County)

Yeah I know that. But if a cop was to say something to you about ocing couldn't you just show them the LTCF and they would have to leave you alone. Or like the walmart manager who asked someone ocing if he had a license for that. Wouldn't the LTCF qualify as a license to carry firearms. You would think that it would end the debate right there. I read it and I don't see the word concealed anywhere.

(Luzerne County)

I suggest that you look this thread over. It has a flyer that may help clear some things up.

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...carry-you.html
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Dauphin County)

Yeah I know that. But if a cop was to say something to you about ocing couldn't you just show them the LTCF and they would have to leave you alone. Or like the walmart manager who asked someone ocing if he had a license for that. Wouldn't the LTCF qualify as a license to carry firearms. You would think that it would end the debate right there. I read it and I don't see the word concealed anywhere.
    While that makes sense to us.....that not how things go down....LE likes to think its for concealment. Although you dont need a LTCF to OC....its like a big circle and until they (LE and Citizens) are willing to sit down and actually understand the law the cause marches on!

(Allegheny County)

it doesn't say concealed on the license itself, but it does in the law that defines the purposes of the license:

PA Title 18: Chapter 61: Subchapter A (Uniform Firearms Act):

§ 6109. Licenses.
    (a) Purpose of license.--A license to carry a firearm shall
    be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about
    one's person or in a vehicle throughout this Commonwealth.
    i have heard LEOs say this means that you must conceal your gun. after all, they reason, it says right in the law that the purpose of the license if for *concealed* carry.

so, no, i would not necessarily expect pointing out that it is called an LTCF, and not a CCW permit, to end the debate.

(of course, the logic is completely faulty...the license *allows* you to carry concealed...it does not *require* concealed carry.)

(Lebanon County)

+ 1 above, in a perfect world what is read would be, in fact, the meaning of the words. In the convoluted & parse prone society we live in everything must be discussed and made clear, then run through the legal system to make sure it is what it is, then appealed and on and on ..... Good point though !

(Luzerne County)

You should also read this thread.

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...ity-5-9-a.html
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Monroe County)

LMFAO*wipes a tear from eye* that cracked me up Don't get me wrong, I am not making fun of you, it was just the wide eyed innocence kind of," Hey! I have the solution to all your problems!", way that post came off..... Maybe this will give you a good point of reference:

1.) The law- The law of the land says that a LTCF is only necessary to be able to carry a firearm concealed. There is a caveat saying that in a city of the first class, you need a LTCF to carry both openly and concealed. Having a firearm in a vehicle, is considered concealing it in this Commonwealth. There is nothing that says you need any sort of license or permission to carry openly anywhere else in the state. Philadelphia is the only city of the first class in Pa. This is also assuming you are not in a place where carrying is prohibited by law.

2.) The reality- If you open carry, and you encounter the police, whether they were called or happened upon you, there is a better than 50/50 chance that you will be stopped and disarmed. In rare instances, the cop will inform the complainer that you are legal and doing nothing wrong. You will more than likely be asked for your LTCF and your firearm will be run through the sales database as well as the stolen weapons database. If that weapon comes up on the stolen one, it is gone. If it does not come up on the sales one, it is gone. If you do not provide a LTCF, you are more than likely going to get your harassment ratcheted up. If you co-operate fully, you will probably just be given a lecture about how this isn't the wild west, and let go with your weapon and magazine unloaded. If you decline to co-operate, and give only what you are required to give, and further exercise your rights, you will probably at the least be subjected to every intimidation tool the cop has at his disposal, and at worst, be arrested for some catch all charge like disorderly conduct.

Having a LTCF will usually stop you from being detained too long, even though the law says you do not need one.
    Last edited by headcase; August 6th, 2008 at 06:10 PM.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Jefferson County)

PA desperately needs to legally rename our license to "Concealed Carry Permit" or "Concealed Carry License" just to avoid the confusion. ...since it's legal purpose to provide legal exemption to concealed carry.

With "License To Carry Firearms" people and LEO's tend to believe you need the LTCF if you carrying in any manner.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast