Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Hornady Critical Defense Lite Range test 9mm & 38sp

I did a search and hadn't seen any evaluation of this ammo yet on the forum so I thought I would share my thoughts.

I was looking for a defensive ammo for my Mom to use, she asked for my help trying to find something suitable for defense but very controllable. I thought the Hornady CDL would be a good option, I explained the concept behind it to her, she agreed it might work so I bought some 9mm and 38 special to try out.

The testing was done with three guns, an HK P2000, a gen 3 glock 26, and an LCR for the revolver ammo.

First the 9mm. Unfortunately this stuff did not feed well in the glock or HK. Both guns experienced multiple failures to feed. I had expected this might occur in the HK due to the heavier slide and spring but the fact it jammed the glock surprised me quite a bit. When the rounds did cycle the were light in the recoil department, but the feeding issues automatically ruled this ammo out from any further consideration as a regular carry ammo.

The 38 sp. These cartridges performed much better, not as soft shooting as the 9mm but soft for a 38. Obviously there was nothing to worry about in regards to feeding issues.

My verdict on this line of ammo. 9mm: proceed with caution, test this ammo with the gun you intend to use, my guess is that lighter single stacks wold probably be the firearms to pair with this ammo but anything larger and I would stay away. It was soft shooting but IMHO, not all that much softer that standard Critical defense, and the standard ammo is way more reliable with regards to cycling.

38. Works well, is softer shooting than most 38 ammo, You will have to decide if the extra control it offers adds enough value to make up for what is sacrificed in the power department.

Ending notes, the 9mm was all used up, I likely won't buy more, I still have some 38 which will probably get burned off at the range, it won't be carried.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Hornady Critical Defense Lite Range test 9mm & 38sp

I load Hornady Critical Defense 9mm into my Ruger Lc9s Pro: seven rounds/single stack. No feed problems after many hundreds of rounds.

(Fayette County)

There's actually a difference in cartridge length between the 9mm critical defense and critical duty ammo.
    The critical duty is a bit longer. Try the shorter critical defense in the g26.

In my glock19,it feeds both ammo fine.
    However, my preferred carry ammo is 124grain Speer Gold Dot.

(Montgomery County)

Just as a clarification, this was an evaluation of the Critical Defense LITE ammo. I have used the standard critical defense in many firearms with much success.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by S.Austin10 View Post
    Just as a clarification, this was an evaluation of the Critical Defense LITE ammo. I have used the standard critical defense in many firearms with much success.
    I think the CDL was designed for a .380 pistol. I have never shot it in any caliber. You might have your Mom try the standard Critical Defense ammo. At 115g in9mm it is not really difficult to control the gun.

It's no surprise it didn't feed in the G26, this is actually the 3rd report I have read with the light ammo and 2 of the 3 were in Glock 26's.

Medium weight standard non plus P loads are your best all around option. 124 GR HST is a pleasure to work with.

(Lebanon County)

recently got a ruger ec9s (new economy variant of lc9s); pre-live fire run-in with a-zoom snap caps...@ 250 trigger cycles with the a zooms, 250 slide cycles without snap caps, and 25 slide cycles with snap caps; clean & relube; live fire session...50 rds of American Eagle 115gr fmj, 50 rds of UMC 115gr jhp, and 25 rds of Critical Defense Lite 100gr ftx; only 1 hiccup with fmj...defense ammo 100% reliability; firing was 2 hand iscosoles, strong hand single, and weak hand single; a good firearm that likes critical defense lite...

(Westmoreland County)

The 38 CD Lite is 90 grain, twenty grains less than the 38 CD. Assuming similar muzzle velocities we're only talking eighteen percent loss of kinetic energy.

The 38 CD Lite is probably pretty close to CD 380 ACP or the 9x18mm Makarov in muzzle energy. Not great in terms of energy but not shabby either.

Big advantage for these "smaller" calibers is that they cut the weight and size of the handgun. This makes them easier to conceal. The lower muzzle blast and recoil will help with multiple attackers. For women who don't want to practice a lot and don't like their hands getting banged up, CD Lite in 38 might be a great bet for them.

The pink plastic plug of CD Lite might appeal to some women, or guys with a sense of humor.

Thanks for the word on 9mm CD Lite. I'm disappointed that the Glock doesn't like CD Lite.
    Last edited by GeneCC; January 6th, 2018 at 03:54 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    It's no surprise it didn't feed in the G26, this is actually the 3rd report I have read with the light ammo and 2 of the 3 were in Glock 26's.

Medium weight standard non plus P loads are your best all around option. 124 GR HST is a pleasure to work with.
    I've put several hundred rounds of 380 CD through a Ruger LCP. No failures to feed, very accurate, low recoil and muzzle blast. I've put fifty or so rounds of CD 9mm Mak in the Makarov and P64. No failures to feed, fine accuracy.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GeneCC View Post
    The 38 CD Lite is 90 grain, twenty grains less than the 38 CD. Assuming similar muzzle velocities we're only talking eighteen percent loss of kinetic energy.

The 38 CD Lite is probably pretty close to CD 380 ACP or the 9x18mm Makarov in muzzle energy. Not great in terms of energy but not shabby either.

Big advantage for these "smaller" calibers is that they cut the weight and size of the handgun. This makes them easier to conceal. The lower muzzle blast and recoil will help with multiple attackers. For women who don't want to practice a lot and don't like their hands getting banged up, CD Lite in 38 might be a great bet for them.

The pink plastic plug of CD Lite might appeal to some women, or guys with a sense of humor.

Thanks for the word on 9mm CD Lite. I'm disappointed that the Glock doesn't like CD Lite.
    Isn't the pink plug for breast cancer? I think they donate part of the sale.