Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default What do you think of the Polish Makarov?

I saw a few at the Oaks show yesterday. Looked real nice. All metal, just the way I like them and hey are priced in the mid 200s. I am a little concerned about the caliber. The 9x18 is somewhat of an oddball. Is it interchangeable with the 380?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: What do you think of the Polish Makarov?

I've seen tham at quite a few shows and thought about picking one up a few times.I'm not all that crazy about odd calibers though.

The Polish never made a Makarov pistol however they made the P64 which was chambered in the 9X18mm Mak cartridge.

The Good.
    Accurate fixed barrel designe.
    Over built and sold pistols.
    Okay single action trigger.

The bad:
    20lb double action trigger.
    Major slide bite for most.
    Very and I mean very stout recoil making it uncomfortable to shoot.

Wolf makes spring kits to bring down the pull weight of the DAO trigger however this leaves most with a single action trigger that is way to light on the pistol making it kind of unpredictable.

I have 2 my 2nd I build from spare parts when they were super cheap did the trigger right reworking the entire system rather then just changing out springs. Internal OEM springs like the trigger spring I had to source directly from Poland.

They are very cool little pistols and on the cheap right now but they can be rough internally and on the shooter. They tend to be on the list of everyone who has a C&R FFL but usually way towards the bottom.

A much better buy and investment would be one of the true Bulgarian Makarovs that are currently in the country now at the $250-$300.00 mark from online vendors like AIM. Same build quality as the P-64 and much more pleasant to shoot.

The 9x18 is NOT interchangeable with the .380 and it's not really much of an odd ball here in the states. You can easily find it in both steel cased(which it was designed to fire) as well as brass in FMJ and HP from several different manufactures. Hornday also makes SD rounds in the FTX bullet.
    Last edited by Hodgie; December 22nd, 2015 at 06:18 AM.

(Lackawanna County)

No, it does not use 380 (9x17) or 9mm luger (9x19) ammo. You have to get 9x18 ammo. Which is a great person defense round.

RADOM pistols? the triggers are beyond abysmal. Wolf makes a trigger kit to lessen it down to about 5 lbs. With that I wouldn't mind owning one. 9 x 18 makarov is a great caliber. It is not interchangeable with the .380 AUTO.

Hokkmike Guest

Just as a side to this discussion my friend, who collects these pistols, says that the East German variation are the best of the lot. But, as you might suspect, more expensive. If I only had $200 to spend for a CC I would get one such as the OP described.

(Philadelphia County)

The DA trigger is horrendous, but the SA trigger isn't bad. However it isn't the most comfortable handgun to shoot. It was a small gun designed for officers who wouldn't be shooting it that much. Hornady makes self-defense ammunition for 9x18mm pistols.

(Montgomery County)

I purchased one before they were C&R, then another once they were. If you change out the hammer spring and depending upon the individual gun, the recoil spring with the Wolff spring kits then they do work. As mentioned, the DA is in the same class as the Nagant revolver and the SA will go off if you "breathe hard" on it, so some experimentation is necessary. If you do use the 9 x 18 (not the Walther Ultra version) be aware that the brass is not tapered like the 9 x 19. Some people will cut 9 x 19 and then fire form or simply expand. Starline sell proper cases quite cheaply if you reload. Since I have CZ82s and EG Makarovs as well, I reload this calibre and a lot of other odd-balls. Of the 9 x 18 guns out there, the EG (or original Russian) Maks are excellent, the CZ82 are very good (12 round mags) and the P64s are at the bottom. Dave_n

(Montgomery County)

Looked up the CZ82/83. Perhaps a little "upmarket" from the P64. My experience with he CZ line is that even their "compacts" are on the large side. CZ82/83 are not made anymore so availability is hit or miss. And about this C&R thing. Does it matter to the gun buyer?

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverPA View Post
    Looked up the CZ82/83. Perhaps a little "upmarket" from the P64. My experience with he CZ line is that even their "compacts" are on the large side. CZ82/83 are not made anymore so availability is hit or miss. And about this C&R thing. Does it matter to the gun buyer?

The CZ's are excellent pistols and excellent shooters. Only the 82's are C&R eligible.

Non C&R holders can still own these pistols just like anyothers the difference is I can have a C&R eligible pistol or rifle shipped directly to me bypassing the 01FFL process saving me money and time.

You can find 82's in shooter grade condition for around $300.00. I just sold one a few months back for that to another member here. 83's are still being imported from time to time so pop up on the online dealers like AIM, Classic fitearms, and SOG.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast