Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default Interesting thread from Arfcom. A rental range owner's observations on durability.

"A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(York County)

Default Re: Interesting thread from Arfcom. A rental range owner's observations on durability

Thanks. I found it a very interesting thread. Having a range owner report were there are controls on the quantities of ammo counted as well as a control of the type of ammo used gives a rather detailed analysis of longevity and wear on handguns.

A point of contrast: I'm a fan of vintage Walther P.38s and the later P.1 pistol. Keep in mind that many of these guns are now 70+ years old. Many were refurnished and used by a variety of countries and organizations for over 50 years before being retired and sold off to the civilian market. Many captured bring back trophies saw use ranging from sitting unused for decades to being used and abused with little maintenance. No wonder that the current collector advice is to simply replace springs as a matter of course when buying an example and/or not shoot them at all least hidden fatigue cause a vital part to fail. Slides also have been known to crack and the alloy frames of the later P.1 were beefed up with a steel reinforcement due to it cracking as well.

The problem for collectors and shooters of used pistols is thus:
    As a owner of a gun which has an unknown history of prior use, you have to be aware that a used gun may have been been shot tens of thousands of times. You have no idea if and how much +P ammo has gone down the pipe; if it was shot with super hot reloads and how much it was generally abused. All you know is what you see when you get it and inspect it.
    Last edited by Ecclectic Collector; December 20th, 2015 at 02:30 PM. Reason: grammar error

Default Re: Interesting thread from Arfcom. A rental range owner's observations on durability

The range operator's input is interesting, but after reading for about 10 minutes I'm reminded why I don't visit arfcom anymore.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    The range operator's input is interesting, but after reading for about 10 minutes I'm reminded why I don't visit arfcom anymore.

Ha. I'm not even going to look.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Thanks for the link I went through all 15 pages in about 30 minutes just bypassing all other posters and reading Ron's posts and the info he quoted only. Doing it like that gets you to the points and saves reading a lot of stupid and petty BS.
    Last edited by Hodgie; December 20th, 2015 at 01:05 PM.

(Berks County)

I only read the first page thus far but will peruse the whole thing using Hodgies method in the near future.

(Berks County)

It's true it's true. Don't go past first page. Save yourself.

(Perry County)

I read that and the one on ARs and other rifles, (link is in the first post of the AR-15 sticky) the same as Hodgie did. Skip all of the annoying back and forth and just read the owners stuff. Excellent insight and the fact that he takes the questions to his armorers for more in-depth answers is awesome. I agree with some that thinks he should create a database. Of course, I'm guessing he has fuck-you money so anything he provides is great.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    Excellent insight and the fact that he takes the questions to his armorers for more in-depth answers is awesome. I agree with some that thinks he should create a database. Of course, I'm guessing he has fuck-you money so anything he provides is great.
    I think he has potentially one of the highest round count civilian ranges around is the key takeaway. If nothing else, it's interesting to see how guns which are run and put away wet (or more likely dry) hold up.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by pyld View Post
    I think he has potentially one of the highest round count civilian ranges around is the key takeaway. If nothing else, it's interesting to see how guns which are run and put away wet (or more likely dry) hold up.
    His posts indicate that they have a pretty thorough maintenance regimine which I think enhances the observations. Obviously, equipment will fail if not maintained. But seeing some stuff that fails quickly even with maintenance (Sig mosquitoes) is telling. By the way, he has high praise for a Glock .22 conversion (can't remember the name) which he says are flawless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast