Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Pistols

Default Pocket Pistols

OK. guys.. so, I got me a ruger LCP. I chose this gun because it seemed to be the thinnest and lightest of the brand name guns in the pocket pistol class, while still being VERY affordable. I liked it so much, I ended up recommending it to a friend, and she got the same thing. Thing is, when we got out to the range to shoot, I found them to be finicky with ammo. It doesnt like to run a whole lot of stuff. We found blazer aluminum ammo to be the best so its what we run.

I dont like this because, what if I cant get that ammo? plus it doesnt sit right with me that thats the only thing that works well. That makes the gun seem junk to me. My old man has a Taurus and even that thing will run steel ammo. .. I dont know. I dont want the Taurus because its a little larger which is nicer for shooting but not so nice with carrying. I had the kel tecs before.....mah. Im thinking maybe the SW bodygaurd in .380. Without the laser. Im not a laser fan. I have one on my LCP and the battery died (i assume) so Im going to take it off. I see no use for it. SO, if someone wants it. Let me know.

What are everyone elses' thoughts on this?

(Clarion County)

Default Re: Pocket Pistols

Would help if you'd define what exactly is happening. Failure to feed, fire or eject?
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Tioga County)

Did you clean them first? I've had an LCP several years and have put over 1,000 rounds of all kinds of ammo through it without failure.
    MikeP

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Franky4Fingers View Post
    OK. guys.. so, I got me a ruger LCP. I chose this gun because it seemed to be the thinnest and lightest of the brand name guns in the pocket pistol class, while still being VERY affordable. I liked it so much, I ended up recommending it to a friend, and she got the same thing. Thing is, when we got out to the range to shoot, I found them to be finicky with ammo. It doesnt like to run a whole lot of stuff. We found blazer aluminum ammo to be the best so its what we run.

I dont like this because, what if I cant get that ammo? plus it doesnt sit right with me that thats the only thing that works well. That makes the gun seem junk to me. My old man has a Taurus and even that thing will run steel ammo. .. I dont know. I dont want the Taurus because its a little larger which is nicer for shooting but not so nice with carrying. I had the kel tecs before.....mah. Im thinking maybe the SW bodygaurd in .380. Without the laser. Im not a laser fan. I have one on my LCP and the battery died (i assume) so Im going to take it off. I see no use for it. SO, if someone wants it. Let me know.

What are everyone elses' thoughts on this?
    You can get the BG without a laser. Mine is one of the originals and has one, I just never use it. I have not yet had any ammo problems with three or four boxes down the tube!

As far as what malfunctions I've had, i honestly cant remember. Its been a while since Ive shot it. I just remember they didn't work but the aluminum cased blazers always did. And she had the same conclusions. They also seemed to shoot better as far as accuracy.

And yeah, both pistols were cleaned and lubed. I'm sure of that.

Finn, good to know ab out the BG, it seems like a seriously good quality piece. Ive never known SW to make junk. And I defo want a non laser gun. Its cheaper, light, and smaller. Even though it does come with one of the best laser setups Ive seen on a factory gun.

(Tioga County)

A laser on a pocket pistol like the LCP is a waste of money. These guns are for "bad breath" range.

I can hit a paper plate at 25 yards with my LCP.
    MikeP

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by priell3 View Post
    Did you clean them first? I've had an LCP several years and have put over 1,000 rounds of all kinds of ammo through it without failure.
    ^^^ this^^^

I can't think of any ammo that my lcp has ever choked on. What ammo have you tried so far. The last time I shot mine was with pmc I believe. When it gets carried I use Hornady critical defense for a sd load. It's always fed the Hornady perfectly fine as well.

I cant remember it all but I definately ran the steel cased ammo through it, Tula. I know I ran the Winchester white box through it, and Im pretty sure Remmington, but not positive. And of course, the aluminum cased Blazer. And that was the only one that ran great.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Franky4Fingers View Post
    I cant remember it all but I definately ran the steel cased ammo through it, Tula. I know I ran the Winchester white box through it, and Im pretty sure Remmington, but not positive. And of course, the aluminum cased Blazer. And that was the only one that ran great.
    Is it possible you were limp writing it. If I remember that can cause issues with the lcp. Otherwise I'd call ruger. Most every lcp I've seen has run like a champ.

Just for grins check the recoil spring to ensure its in properly. I don't have many rounds through mine but it's prolly 400 or so and never had a jam of any kind...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast