Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Non DUI ARD LTCF Northampton county

Hello all first time posting !

I was arrested close to 2 years ago for small amount of marijuana and paraphernalia.
    I was put into the ARD program for 6 months and completed everything paid the 1100$
    I've been off of this unsupervised probation since August of this year.

I've already gotten a letter in the mail saying my record and everything included would be destroyed. They told me Northampton county automatically expunges the record upon successful completion.
    I also have an old transporting alcohol/underage drinking charge for driving fines. I did not take ARD for this becuase my understanding was once I was an adult underage drinking wouldn't come into play. Never had a DUI .

*I wanted to know if I'm eligible to buy firearms . Since I'm under that 2 year scentencing mark.
    I also wanted to know if I am eligible for my LTCF. I have completed ARD and have gotten the expungement letter saying everyone is erasing my record.

Some background on me my grandfather has been taking me hunting since a young age. I'm very thankful for the time me and him spent together. I think I got my hunting license at age 12 and I've been around guns ever since I could remeber. I've gone muzzleloader hunting/bow and arrow/turkey/deer/crow/trapshooting..you name it I've been everywhere with my grandfather. I've been fishing forever too. I have a license to drive a boat even ..

*This day and age I'm a responsible adult .
    I want to add I have not been around/talked to anyone that smokes marijuana in years.
    I also do not drink nor do I smoke marijuana .
    I've learned from my mistakes and have moved very far past them .

I was told psp actively prosecutes people for trying to do buy a gun/LTCF if you're not eligible

*I believe I'm elgible to own guns and get a ltcf !

Being responsible I wanted to ask everyone their opinion.
    I don't not have the money/time to be going to court or getting arrested for a misunderstanding .

*Do you think I can just get a background check from the psp and as long as nothing criminal comes up I'm good to go so to speak ?

Like I said I've already gotten a letter in the mail stating my record would be erased from state police/local police/and everyone else.

*I would enjoy doing a little bit of hunting and carrying on what my grandfather taught me. Mostly I would like to go to the shooting range and do some trap shooting when I have the money. I would also enjoy having my ltcf . not necessarily to walk around with a gun constantly, I would just like it for peace of mind , say I sit down in a car that would be very illegal.

Im an adult I'm not looking for sympathy. Just some advice on my legal situation. Thank you very much for your time !

I would appreciate if everyone shared their expierences and advice .
    I would be disappointed to find out I'm not allowed to do anything becuase of being young and stupid .

Again, thank you very much for your time !

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Non DUI ARD LTCF Northampton county

Northampton county's sherrif is pretty resonable, but he might invoke the person of poor character option since its been a short time since your drug charge. Best advice is to consult a lawyer about your gun purchase options when it comes to pics. Don't think you can be prosecuted for attempting to obtain the LTCF, but again a gun law lawyer is your best option.

(Lycoming County)

I get a lawyer to make sure your record is expunged. The possession charge would be prohibiting in PA. If it is nothing else you mentioned would be prohibiting.

(Northampton County)

I would like to thank everyone for the quick responses and advice !

I had a lawyer get me into the ARD program I'm thinking of giving him a call on Monday and see what he thinks .
    I'm thinking about directly calling the courthouse and checking too see if my record is clear since I have gotten the expungement letter already.

I would like to add that I was never charged or convicted of the marijuana/paraphernalia
    ARD is deferred prosecution . Pretty much if I made it through the program it's like it never happened.
    I've been off of the program for close to 4 months now

Maybe I can just call and ask the sheriff ?

If I request my background check from the psp and I have nothing criminal on it would that would mean in elgible to buy firearms and elgible for my LTCF ?

Thanks again !

(Northampton County)

Also wanted to share this. I also wanted to remind everybody I was not convicted anyway.. But even if I was here is the law word for word. I would have only been facing a year and one month. So I think I answered my own question in regards to buying a firearm. I would like to thank everyone again ! I hope this also helps anybody else out that changed their lives around and is looking for closure on the subject. Please feel free to share your thoughts . I'm going to post the law that applies to me below this . As for the LTCF I'm still unsure of my eligibility

(2) A person who has been convicted of an offense under the act of April 14, 1972 (P.L.233, No.64), known as The Controlled Substance, Drug, Device and Cosmetic Act, or any equivalent Federal statute or equivalent statute of any other state, that may be punishable by a term of imprisonment exceeding two years.

(Juniata County)

I would make sure your expunge was properly logged in the system. It seems sometimes it is not, which could cause you a problem. It might behoove you to contact a lawyer to works specifically with gun rights. Mr. Phil Kline spends a good bit of time on the forum

http://amgoa.org/Pennsylvania-Gun-Law-Attorneys
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Northampton County)

I agree I see Phill Kline of here frequently

I think it's a good idea to give him a call and see what's up to be safe

(Butler County)

Does the PA Unified Judicial System docket sheets still show your court actions for The drug arrest? If they do, either at the MDJ or Common Pleas level, your expungement is not complete yet.

You can access your PSP rap sheep (Google PATCH PSP) if that still shows the drug arrest, your expungement is not complete yet.

If your expungement has not made it around to the various systems, most notably the PSP, you are not likely to be able to pass PICS regardless of your right to do so.

You can see if the UJS and PATCH come clean in the drug charge. Or hire a lawyer. I'd do the latter.

(Northampton County)

Yes my record is still on the ujs portal site I check it monthly .

Are you saying I'm not eligible to even buy guns yet ?
    I thought if I was under that 2 year scentencing it would've been okay .

I'd also like to thank everyone again for their advice !

Quote Originally Posted by pyld View Post
    Does the PA Unified Judicial System docket sheets still show your court actions for The drug arrest? If they do, either at the MDJ or Common Pleas level, your expungement is not complete yet.

You can access your PSP rap sheep (Google PATCH PSP) if that still shows the drug arrest, your expungement is not complete yet.

If your expungement has not made it around to the various systems, most notably the PSP, you are not likely to be able to pass PICS regardless of your right to do so.

You can see if the UJS and PATCH come clean in the drug charge. Or hire a lawyer. I'd do the latter.

(Northampton County)

I just checked ujs portal again
    the disposition says waived for court and the case status says closed
    Not sure if this is any help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast