Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Tokarev for self defense

Yes I am a big ran of the Tokarev most f my posts are about it, but I would like to know your guys opinions on my EDC. It's a TTC loaded with wolf 85 grain JHP 7.62x25. Many friends say that it would over penetrate but I have shot coyotes with it and while cutting them open it will stop just under the shoulder on the other side, also am I allowed to post pictures of that or is it against forum rules. If someone responds I will try to post pics today but I can make no promises as I have been doing overtime lately.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Tokarev for self defense

It beats throwing a rock. If it's what you have, use it.

That 7.62Tok is quite a hot round. Fired from a pistol, FMJ will penetrate the military's kevlar helmets. You definitely don't want to carry FMJ for SD in this one; it WILL pass through. If this is the gun that you REALLY want to carry, buy a TON of JHP ammo for it when you can find it. 7.62Tok is not a common round (at least here in the US) and ammo for it may not be as plentiful in the future as you would like.

OR

Get boxer primed brass cased ammo and the tools and materials; learn to reload. Then you're not captive to what is commercially available.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

You can get ammo from Winchester, S&B and PPV. You can also reload you own, as said. 85gr JHP do nice things.
    20 years USN - OSC

Lol I know fmj will over penetrate I also have some ap rounds that I have shot through a piece of Kevlar rated to stop 44 mag I do own better guns 1911s,glocks,S&W s but I like the Tokarev for the slim profile plus being winter it's a sure fire round to get through jackets.

Big time over penetration from FMJ and low reliability from wolf.

I also form the brass of of 223 cases, it's a nice way to reuse brass with split necks