Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default 1891 Argentine Mauser

Here is the 1891 Argentine Mauser I just picked up. It came, of all places, from California.

This thing is long and heavy. Thinking about it, I should have used my Argentine flag for the background.

The trigger is very smooth. I hear a lot of these were "sporterized" in the 60s and 70s because the action is supposed to be really good. The 1909 is another favorite.

It came very cleaned. So clean in fact, I almost dont want to shoot it because cleaning guns is not one of my favorite passtimes. On a side note, the bore looks incredible for a gun thats so old. All of these are supposed to be combat veterans, unlike the 1909s. It has a spot on the stock that looks like its been carried around quite a bit.

Apparently the sight goes out to 2,000 meters. Which seems excessive to say the least.

Its amazing how the flash of the camera brings up those spots of rust. I had not noticed that I guess due to the lighting in my home.

I think with a little love and care it'll look exceptionally good. All serials match.
    I plan on taking this deer hunting during the next season. It's chambered in 7.62x54 Arg, which from what I've read looks like a .308 but it gets even closer to the .30-06. The ammo is expensive and hard to find, so I guess I wont be shooting it too often.

I hear its loud as hell and kicks like a mule. I havent had a chance to shoot it yet. I wanted a rifle from the homeland, not that I have it, I want a 1909 as well.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: 1891 Argentine Mauser

1891, that's beautiful.

Good pics! Nice weapon. With a little TLC she ought to turn out nicely. How's the bore?
    "Don't hit at all if you can help it; don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." Theodore Roosevelt

Very nice LD!

Looks like the blue was stripped off on the top of the chamber, is this correct?

Also, does it use 7.65x53 ammunition?

(York County)

A friend of mine has one of those. Very nice guns, but I think he's going to have to take up handloading in order to afford to feed it.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by vonsontag View Post
    Good pics! Nice weapon. With a little TLC she ought to turn out nicely. How's the bore?
    Im far from an expert, but the bore looks terrific. Nice and shiny and the rifling seems very strong.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    Very nice LD!

Looks like the blue was stripped off on the top of the chamber, is this correct?

Also, does it use 7.65x53 ammunition?
    Yes, it does use 7.65x53. Apparently, http://www.ammunitionstore.com/ sells non-corrosive stuff for $60/500 rounds. At that price, I can't afford not to shoot it.

As far as the blue being stripped off... I have no clue man. You can tell me when we meet for a shoot.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Berks County)

Very Sweet Diego! Lots of luck with it!
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Berks County)

Very nice Diego! I am seriously jealous.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    Yes, it does use 7.65x53. Apparently, http://www.ammunitionstore.com/ sells non-corrosive stuff for $60/500 rounds. At that price, I can't afford not to shoot it.
    Thanks for the site. I passed it on to my friend.

(York County)

The 1891 is a good gun, I just finnished cleaning up one for my father in law, It was left for a very long time. And even being NEGLECTED for as long as it was, still seems to be a good gun. And thanks for the ammo info.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast