Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default PA Resident to Non-Resident Permit

Good morning all,

I'll try to keep this as brief as possible.

I am a former PA resident currently living in California (military transplant that got very used to the great weather with no desire to move back). I had a resident PA permit to carry that expired in 2014 (issued in Montgomery County) and am wanting to apply for my non-resident as I frequently travel back to PA to visit friends and family. It is my understanding that a permit to carry in your current resident state is required (CA - which I have) and the process for a non-resident is the same as for a resident. With that being said...my questions are this:

- Will my application be a new file or a renewal based on having a previous permit?
    - Montgomery County is listed as not favorable for granting non-resident permits; is it worth trying on the basis that I was previously granted one or should I look elsewhere?
    - How do they perform a local records check if I live out of state? Does it take longer because i'm not local? Am I required to process my application in Montgomery County?

Thanks in advance for your help.

(Tioga County)

Default Re: PA Resident to Non-Resident Permit

It will be done as a new LTCF because your LTCF expired in 2014. You can put your Application in to the sheriff of any county. I understand Center county is the best bet.

You must show up in person to gt your photo taken.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeBlockWar View Post
    Good morning all,

I'll try to keep this as brief as possible.

I am a former PA resident currently living in California (military transplant that got very used to the great weather with no desire to move back). I had a resident PA permit to carry that expired in 2014 (issued in Montgomery County) and am wanting to apply for my non-resident as I frequently travel back to PA to visit friends and family. It is my understanding that a permit to carry in your current resident state is required (CA - which I have) and the process for a non-resident is the same as for a resident. With that being said...my questions are this:

- Will my application be a new file or a renewal based on having a previous permit?
    - Montgomery County is listed as not favorable for granting non-resident permits; is it worth trying on the basis that I was previously granted one or should I look elsewhere?
    - How do they perform a local records check if I live out of state? Does it take longer because i'm not local? Am I required to process my application in Montgomery County?

Thanks in advance for your help.

1. There is no difference between a new or renewal. ...the process is the same. The only difference is that a license will have a different box checked on it.
    2. Go to Centre County. There is NO doubt that they will issue.
    3. The sheriff will use PA's instant background check. That background check also looks into federal databases.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

The current 2A-freindly Montco sheriff was defeated in the last election and will be replaced by a Democrat in the next few weeks. I'm not expecting any improvements in the LTCF office for the next few years. I'd recommend finding another county that issues to nonresidents.

I think Bucks or Berks is more favorable to non-residents. Look around the site here and you should be able to find out.

Thanks for the quick responses. I actually made a few phone calls before checking back in here (PA district attorney, MontCo Sheriff's office, and former hometown PD) and found out some interesting information. First, MontCo said they accept non-resident applications but stressed that it can take up to 45 days and I have to physically be in the state to receive my permit. If I don't return until the 46th day then I would have to start the entire process over again. Regarding the local records check - the police department stated they weren't going to be able to sign off on it since I am not a resident...so i'm still trying to piece together how I can fulfill that requirement.

I'm waiting to hear back from the legal department at the PA State Troopers HQ, but I found this (in bold) and am trying to get some clarification if it applies or not:

Note that to lawfully carry a concealed firearm in Pennsylvania, a person must either:

1 - possess a valid Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms,
    2 - maintain residency in, and possess a valid license/permit to carry a firearm from a state with which Pennsylvania has a current reciprocity agreement or
    3 - fall within the applicable exceptions in 18 Pa. C.S. §6106(2)(b) as listed above, including §6106(2)(b)(15) regarding licenses/permits to carry a firearm recognized under Pennsylvania law without a formal reciprocity agreement.

Then for exemptions...#15:

15) Any person who possesses a valid and lawfully issued license or permit to carry a firearm which has been issued under the laws of another state, regardless of whether a reciprocity agreement exists between the Commonwealth and the state under section 6109(k), provided: (i) The state provides a reciprocal privilege for individuals licensed to carry firearms under section 6109. (ii) The Attorney General has determined that the firearm laws of the state are similar to the firearm laws of this Commonwealth.

I'm waiting to hear back from the legal department for clarification on section (ii). I'm not opposed to filing for a non-resident permit, but it would be great if I didn't have to. And yes, if this exemption does work out, I'll definitely make sure to get it in writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    The current 2A-freindly Montco sheriff was defeated in the last election and will be replaced by a Democrat in the next few weeks. I'm not expecting any improvements in the LTCF office for the next few years. I'd recommend finding another county that issues to nonresidents.

I think Bucks or Berks is more favorable to non-residents. Look around the site here and you should be able to find out.
    I'll be in PA this weekend for a week and a half and Bucks County would work well for me (I'll be in the Philadelphia area). I can make the trip out to Centre County but I don't want to spend 6+ hours driving if I can avoid it.

(Bucks County)

Regarding the local records check - the police department stated they weren't going to be able to sign off on it since I am not a resident...so i'm still trying to piece together how I can fulfill that requirement.
    While they want you to do the local police check card thing, the current sheriff doesn't actually require it. They just apparently take longer to process the license if you don't do it than if you do. The new sheriff is supposed to be more anti-2A than the outgoing one, so whether or not they start really requiring it again is anybody's guess.

The police check card isn't part of the process outlined by the PSP that the sheriffs are supposed to follow, so you shouldn't have to do it. It is just something Montco came up with to offload their investigation onto the applicant. But if they insist on it, you'd probably have to take them to court to make them process your application without it. Depends on the hassle factor. Plus the 46 day thing is BS. Philly applicants have had to wait longer than 45 days to get their LTCFs regularly.

The Berks County Sheriff's Office has an office in the Reading Regional Airport. Check for days and times. I was in and out in twenty minutes, with one person ahead of me.

Rick

For residents of Delaware we recommend Lancaster for our out-of-state PA LTCFs. Most of us are in and out with license in hand within 15 minutes.
    IANAL. I don't give legal advice. I'm only stating my OPINION.
    (Did I really need to say that on an Internet forum? LOL)

(Chester County)

Thanks for the quick responses. I actually made a few phone calls before checking back in here (PA district attorney, MontCo Sheriff's office, and former hometown PD) and found out some interesting information. First, MontCo said they accept non-resident applications but stressed that it can take up to 45 days and I have to physically be in the state to receive my permit. If I don't return until the 46th day then I would have to start the entire process over again. Regarding the local records check - the police department stated they weren't going to be able to sign off on it since I am not a resident...so i'm still trying to piece together how I can fulfill that requirement.

I'm waiting to hear back from the legal department at the PA State Troopers HQ, but I found this (in bold) and am trying to get some clarification if it applies or not:

Note that to lawfully carry a concealed firearm in Pennsylvania, a person must either:

1 - possess a valid Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms,
    2 - maintain residency in, and possess a valid license/permit to carry a firearm from a state with which Pennsylvania has a current reciprocity agreement or
    3 - fall within the applicable exceptions in 18 Pa. C.S. §6106(2)(b) as listed above, including §6106(2)(b)(15) regarding licenses/permits to carry a firearm recognized under Pennsylvania law without a formal reciprocity agreement.

Then for exemptions...#15:

15) Any person who possesses a valid and lawfully issued license or permit to carry a firearm which has been issued under the laws of another state, regardless of whether a reciprocity agreement exists between the Commonwealth and the state under section 6109(k), provided: (i) The state provides a reciprocal privilege for individuals licensed to carry firearms under section 6109. (ii) The Attorney General has determined that the firearm laws of the state are similar to the firearm laws of this Commonwealth.

I'm waiting to hear back from the legal department for clarification on section (ii). I'm not opposed to filing for a non-resident permit, but it would be great if I didn't have to. And yes, if this exemption does work out, I'll definitely make sure to get it in writing.
    The bolded section above would not apply to CA CCWs:

Category 2: States that have statutory reciprocity under 6106(b)(15) of the Uniform Firearms Act.

The following states have been granted statutory reciprocity without a formal written agreement under 6106(b)(15), based on the determination of the Attorney General that the other state has granted reciprocity to Pennsylvania license holders, and that the other state's laws governing firearms are similar.
    •Colorado
    •Iowa
    •Indiana
    •Kansas
    •Louisiana
    •Montana
    •North Dakota - Effective August 1, 2013 only North Dakota Class I permits are recognized in Category 2.
    •Ohio
    •Wisconsin
    https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/Medi...ty_Agreements/
    IANAL