Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default Buds Gun Shop Police trade in

I decided to purchase one of the police trade in M&P 40's from Buds. Some of the reviews were scary to say the least. Most of the reviews were positive and had minor issues with the guns. I placed my order previously to the latest craze but did the paper work on it the day of the California terror attacks. Total transaction time was 5 days from order to item being shipped and then doing paperwork. Total cost for everything including paper work was $330.00 but different FFL's charge different transfer fees. The gun itself with shipping not including the transfer was $310.00

OK so what did I get in the mail?
    As stated on Buds website these particular units do not come with the box nor any paper work or manuals.
    I got the handgun and 3 15round magazines in a padded envelope. The over all condition of the gun is in very good shape. It has some minor holster wear on both sides however you have to look to see it. The barrel has very minor frame wear on it as to state this gun probably was not fired very much with this particular barrel. It does not appear from the inside that the barrel was replaced because the frame wear is very minimal as well. The factory night sights are bright and in good working condition. It does have the "old" M&P trigger so it is very gritty and the reset is the "2 click" minimal feel that no one likes. On the outside of the frame by the muzzle there is a small gouge that suggests this gun may have been dropped but it is not a big issue to me. Someone may have gone "ballistic" over the gouge. I plan to use and abuse this on the range and as a night stand gun. I don't care what it looks like. It functions and performs well for me. I put 200 rounds through it at the range before making this review with no issues. For the price this gun is well worth it.

12310009_927204990649389_851461035327712998_o.jpg
    Muzzel Down Range, Eyes On Target...

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Default Re: Buds Gun Shop Police trade in

I've never bought a police trade-in semi-auto but I have a couple trade-in revolvers. Great guns.

(Lycoming County)

I had a Glock 23 police tradein it came with the old style Tupperware box and 3 mags also had the xs big dot sights. It was, $400 good gun but I learned Glocks and my hands were a no go. Id do,a,trade in again actually my Browning HiPower is a police/idf trade in love it.

Quote Originally Posted by CBennett View Post
    I had a Glock 23 police tradein it came with the old style Tupperware box and 3 mags also had the xs big dot sights. It was, $400 good gun but I learned Glocks and my hands were a no go. Id do,a,trade in again actually my Browning HiPower is a police/idf trade in love it.
    I use to own a Glock 22 that was a police trade in. It must have only been fired a handful of times because it seemed to be brand new. Only cost me $350 but like you I couldn't really get into my Glock, even with it converted over to 9mm. I now use an M&P9 and I enjoy it much more. Now a sweet police trade in to pick up would be a S&W 5906.

Norb is this your first M&P?

(Allegheny County)

my gen 1 glock 17 was a police trade-in, I bought in the late 90's for like $250. It has been 100% reliable, it's accurate and I wouldn't trade it for a new one. I just wish I would have come across a cheap sig p226 trade-in back then too. Nothing wrong with the trade-in guns, they're usually very well maintained!

I'm guessing a police gun would not have much range time on it.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Centre County)

Most police trade in don't have many rounds down the barrel. They will look worse than they really are due to the holster wear. I just did a transfer for a customer that got a Police trade in S&W M&P40. No box or manual, and you could see the holster wear, but the internals were almost perfect and the barrel was like new. He shot it and said it works perfectly and he is very happy with it.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by MovingtoAmerica View Post

Norb is this your first M&P?
    It is my first M&P full size. I have shot them before and wanted to get one for some time I just couldn't make up my mind on caliber and the other trade off was had I previously bought one, I was going to have to sacrifice buying ammo for a while. Things worked out a little bit and I was able to buy this one. I do have a shield in 9mm I'm happy with that as well.
    Muzzel Down Range, Eyes On Target...

(Clarion County)

My experience was similar to what Xringshooter says. Got police trade in S&W Model 10 a couple years ago off Bud's. You're supposed to be able to send it back if you don't like it initially. After my first look at it I thought that might happen. However upon inspection it was tight as a drum and checked out fine. I'm the nimrod at the end of the counter with feeler gauges. bore light and magnifying glass. With some TLC it came out pretty nice. Has been a dandy shooter and working sidearm around the place.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Chester County)

could you please get a couple good pics of the m&p? showing wear and the like. thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast