Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bradford County)

Default Ti-Rant 45 Question

So, the ATF finally came through on my tax stamps and I am the proud owner of (amongst several new toys) an AAC TiRant 45! While it works flawlessly on my M&P 45, my M&P 9mm does not seem to like it at all. The 9 frequently has double feeds and rarely goes two rounds without some sort of malfunction when the suppressor is attached. It is using an AAC threaded barrel and functions flawlessly without the suppressor. I have the propper 9mm piston installed. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any idea what might be causing it and what I can do about it?

(Armstrong County)

Default Re: Ti-Rant 45 Question

Functions with out the can and using the same ammo?

I had to go down one pound on my recoil spring weight on my 4" XD with my Osprey on.
    May be a solution, may not.

(Bradford County)

Yeah, functions great without the can, even with the same ammo. Might be worth trying.

(Armstrong County)

The reason behind it....my guess
    The 45 cans weigh more than the 9mm versions. Add that weight to the barrel to make it cycle while you are using weaker ammo, im guessing sub-sonic 9mm.
    The piston/bootser/LID is there to alleviate the weight to cycle the action, but it may be heavy.
    I find it hard to believe, 3oz isnt that much, but it may be.

That was my theory, with my 4"XD and 45 Osprey.
    The XD cycled perfectly fine with my old Trident and stock spring. Toss on the Osprey 45 and no go.

So what is actually happening?
    The round is not being extracted from the chamber?
    The round is being extracted but not fully ejected and another is trying to be pushed into the chamber?
    Last edited by Nate7667; December 2nd, 2015 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7667 View Post
    The round is being extracted but not fully ejected and another is trying to be pushed into the chamber?
    This is precisely what was happening with me this weekend with my SR762 and Specwar762. Using Herter's 150 gr SPCE ammo which runs fine sans suppressors, many casings were not making it fully out before another round was loaded. Wonder if something similar was happening to me, or it I should use the zero setting on the piston. I hate to do that because it obviates the purpose of having a semi auto.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Blair County)

do you have the spring around instead of the spacer(the spacer is for fixed barrel guns not m&p)

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterInPA1 View Post
    This is precisely what was happening with me this weekend with my SR762 and Specwar762. Using Herter's 150 gr SPCE ammo which runs fine sans suppressors, many casings were not making it fully out before another round was loaded. Wonder if something similar was happening to me, or it I should use the zero setting on the piston. I hate to do that because it obviates the purpose of having a semi auto.
    Your issue is probably different. OP's problem seems related to the addition of extra mass to the tilting barrel of his browning-esque action M&P, which the booster is meant to solve, but apparently isn't. A fixed barrel firearm shouldn't have the same issue.

It seems strange that your SR762 is failing to eject with the suppressor on. Usually, chamber pressure is higher with the suppressor mounted. Does it seem like your rifle is generally undergassed with the can off based on brass ejection pattern? Have you tried opening the adjustable gas block more?
    I am not a lawyer.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Oneontanurse View Post
    So, the ATF finally came through on my tax stamps and I am the proud owner of (amongst several new toys) an AAC TiRant 45! While it works flawlessly on my M&P 45, my M&P 9mm does not seem to like it at all. The 9 frequently has double feeds and rarely goes two rounds without some sort of malfunction when the suppressor is attached. It is using an AAC threaded barrel and functions flawlessly without the suppressor. I have the propper 9mm piston installed. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any idea what might be causing it and what I can do about it?
    what ammo are you using? try different ammo if that doesn't work get a lighter recoil spring

Quote Originally Posted by homedefender View Post
    what ammo are you using? try different ammo if that doesn't work get a lighter recoil spring
    I had a few Remington rounds left and those worked fine with the suppressor, but the Herter's 150 gr SPCE ammo worked great in the past with this gun. I move the piston from a 2 setting to a 1 setting and it still happened. Did not try the 3 setting.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Armstrong County)

Shooter, your problem is more than likely too much gas. 99% of the AR10 type rifles are over gas to begin with, then add a can to it....way more back pressure.
    Try different ammo for one, that may very well be your issue. Ive never shot the SPCE, but the normal Herter's stuff is the same as Wolf, under powered and some guns choke on it depending on gas set-ups.

Then i would look at a heavier buffer and spring, but those are band-aids for an over gased gun, that you cant do much with because its a piston not DI (like getting an adjustable gas block to fine tune it)
    Or start hand loading to get a perfect amount of gas flow on the "suppressor" setting of the piston system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast