Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Moving to Pike in January

Hey everyone,

I am making the big move to America this January when I leave NJ for PA. Going to be moving across the river into Dingman's Ferry right off route 739. Just wanted to see how friendly Pike County was for LTCF as well as meet a few people local to the county on here and also get a few suggestions for local gun shops.

I moved back to NJ when I got out of the USMC and I have been trying to move back out ever since lol. I am not even going to guess how many thousands of dollars I am going to spend on pistols now that I don't have the dumb ass permits holding me back.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Moving to Pike in January

Well almost everyone who says they live in Milford lives in Dingmans so you'll be in good company. You can get your license to carry once you change your drivers license. Takes a couple weeks. As for gun shops
    Milford army surplus is ok bit high in price
    Lake Wallenpaupack sport shop is good.
    Advanced arms in Pittston is where I go when I want to spend money.

Quite a few of us are members at the matamoras rod and gun club and attend the action pistol or cowboy action matches there. They do skeet as well but don't mess with it. For public ranges you have little Russia out toward Wallenpaupack. It's also known as the game lands range. You need a hunting license or range permit to use it.

What development are you moving into

Thanks for all the information. I got the application sitting in front of me now so I am filling it out. Good to hear that it only takes a couple of weeks. I am renting a house right off of 739 and its not in any of the developments. I do like to shoot skeet and hunt quite a bit. I was an armorer in the Corps so I am just an all around weapons enthusiast so I try to do everything.

Do yourself a favor and stay away from the state game lands range. I have seen many levels of stupid at that range. last year before Bear season I stopped to check the zero on my rifle. The lot was full. So I sat waiting for a bench to open up. Then some guy starts walking down range while others are shooting. Then the yelling started. With that act of stupidity I started the truck back up and went back to my cabin. IDK what happened and I didn't want to see it. So considered yourself warned.

Any how Welcome to America. I hope you remembered to bring the American flag !
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

Geez that sounds like a real fun time haha. The state range by my old house in NJ had some good people there but of course the occasional mouth-breather would show up and ruin it for everyone. Thanks! I went to the Cabelas on my way back from Gettysburg and that was the first thing the guy behind the counter said to me. "Welcome to America" Indeed.

(Pike County)

Welcome to America,

Well NathanB pointed out some of the primary places. A couple of ancillary items to note are:

Lakeview deli on 739, decent place
    Kelly's Auto Service on 739, good work, fair price if you can't fix it yourself
    If you want real pizza, go to Johns of Arthur Ave up in Milford worth the ride. Goodtime pizza sucks.
    Lords valley 11 miles up 739 grocery store, or go up into town or up 209 to Westfall; Wally world, Kmart movies fast food you get the jist.

If you go to little Russia don't go alone, firearms have gone "missing" while down range setting up your targets.
    When I go, its first light in the morning range is empty. My daughter and I can do our pistol routine at the 5-10 yard range.

Other than that, welcome...

(Wayne County)

Welcome to PA.
    +1 on Wallenpaupack Sports at the top of the lake. Hunter's Gallery in Hamlin isn't too bad, usually have what I want, but I do find them a bit pricey on some things.
    and +1 on not going solo to ANY state range.

Matt

Thanks for all the advice guys. Seems like the state ranges are for all the whack jobs. I will stick to the private ranges for now. Almost time to go shopping for a good carry pistol

(Wayne County)

In case you didn't know, there is a new indoor range being built on 739. There is a new one in Honesdale, 3b I think it's called. Then there is Pocono pistol and sunset hill. For state ranges, I actually do use the one in Archbald...with a buddy.

Matt

Hopefully it is close to my house on 739. I like to shoot my pistols about once a week if I can so that would be nice. Thanks!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast