Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: Official PAFOA Harvest Thread (WARNING may be considered graphic by some)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Got my 2017 buck back yesterday (deer on right) and added it to the wall!

Congratulations sir, you can be very proud of that wall! Those are really nice bucks.
    Navy ⚓️ 1965–1969

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Official PAFOA Harvest Thread (WARNING may be considered graphic by some)

My grandson’s buck, taken in Maryland, just over the border at 8:30 Saturday morning. Model 700 Remington .243, 100 grain. One shot and he dropped.

Navy ⚓️ 1965–1969

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    Totally missed the opportunity for laughter there. Shot him in the area of some bleeding parts! Right in the eyehole!
    C’mon, work on it!
    Oh yeah, nice bear!
    Eyehole?
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Luzerne County)

Thanks. I’m hoping to add another one, but so far, this season has been a bust.

(Allegheny County)

I posted these pics in the archery thread but here they are again.

I have been hunting behind my house for quite a few years. For quite a while, it was a 3 acre patch about 500 to 600 yards away. I had the owners permission until he sold it.
    I then tried to get permission from the new owner. He never answered my calls and I later found out a LEO was managing the property for him.
    I was not able to get the permission.

I erected a platform stand 20 feet above grade on the corner of my small residential plot and had early success with a few doe.

Last year, I got a nice 8 point and the largest racked buck I ever got.
    This year, i had a 9 point on my camera on and off and my buddy up the street (also a backyard hunter) saw him along with almost 10 different buck.

4 or 5 were legal but a few were very small racked 7's and 8's.

On Sept 15 (first day 2B) I passed on an 8 point and hoped I wouldnt regret it.
    My buddy up the street told me he got a 9 point and I thought it was the one I was hoping for.

I only saw the first day 8, a 4 point came by twice recently and then the 9 came by, head down sniffing and walking quickly after a doe I assume.

He came from left to right. I saw him out of the corner of my eye, saw the rack, didn't have to count points, picked up my crossbow and sent a bolt.
    It hit a bit high on his back but with the down angle, I figured it was a good hit.
    He ran the 90 yards I could see and I wondered about how good a hit it was.

The bolt went through high and passed through right behind his opposite shoulder. Mostly one lung.

2018-11-08_02-08-40 by poofy27, on Flickr

Comparison of last year to this years.

2018-11-12_05-41-38 by poofy27, on Flickr

Last years buck was spooked by the garbage truck about 730 AM. This year, I was presented the exact same shot and almost the same distance.

The backyard game preseve is working for me.

20 feet up. Toilet is 100 feet away. Three trails lead to my tree, 2 go away from it.
    It's a natural choke point on a bench thats only 25 yards wide.

Makes an older guys hunt a bit easier.

Treestand. Getting them up the steps is a bitch. Going tomorrow to harbor freight to get a winch with 50 feet of cable for $49

The one I passed on.
    2018-09-15_08-31-58 by poofy27, on Flickr
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Lancaster County)

Still waiting for video of you doing shots while on the zip line.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Still waiting for video of you doing shots while on the zip line.
    Ha. Zipline is history. I'm taking the cable to Tionesta to make a 2 wire bridge over a creek.
    One high and one low.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Is that an Ithaca Deerslayer I spy? As a former 2B hunter I am jealous.
    It's not the fancy dedicated, free floated fixed barrel Deerslayer II or III, but it is rifled Deerslayer barrel in my Ithaca 37. Works well enough for me (plus, I don't know if I have the money or space to buy another shotgun just for deer). Seems like no matter what shotgun I shoot or buy, I always go back to the Ithaca 37.

(Berks County)

Rifle season report - Hunting in 2H State forest land (Cameron county) - opening day I have a usual spot high and about a mile and a half in between the top of a hollow and a saddle on the ridgeline. Deer will naturally feed and cross near the top where there are some flat benches and heavy trails between timber and some thick bedding area. It doubles as an escape corridor when the pressure is on. Some days I've seen in excess of 30 deer a day there. This year there were fewer hunters in the woods and the near constant rain, I saw fewer this year. Saw 4 deer before 4:00 and then a group of 6 doe. No antlers.

Tuesday was clear, cold and windy with a couple inches of snow added overnight. I had a DMAP tag for the area so I elected to try for a doe. Drove up to the top that morning and I snuck a steep ridgeline over some laurel and saw a spike buck bedded near a point. Dropped into a high hemlock stand and snuck through. Snow was crunchy but the wind gusted enough that I could time my movement with the gusting wind to cover my sound. Around 10:00 I spotted two doe moving across below me at about 60 or 70 yards. I put the crosshairs behind the shoulder of the bigger one and pulled the trigger. She took off into the hollow. I could see blood spraying and she wobbled and crashed after about 30 yards. HUGE doe for the mountains! Good meat on the table.

After dressing her and making the nearly two mile drag back to camp it was after noon. Ate a sandwich and decided to hunt my way back up the point to retrieve my vehicle off the top and see if I could find a buck. zig zagged up the point peeking into hemlocks and laurel. Saw 3 more doe. Made it to the top with just over an hour of daylight left. There's a nice spot on the top where a flat descends to a long wide bench above the laurel. I propped my rifle against a big hickory tree and decided to stand until dark. The wind was laying down so sneaking was difficult anyway. Just before 5 I heard something crunching behind me. I turned to see a deer walking off the flat angling towards me. As I picked up the rifle I could plainly see it was a buck. Once in the scope it only took a second to see it was more than legal. I found an opening between a couple trees and when he stepped into it I centered the crosshairs and pulled the trigger for the second time. He dropped at the shot, kicked a couple times and was still. Nice thick 8 point. Also big and heavy for a mountain buck. Deer are much bigger and healthier up there now vs the 90s when I started hunting. I couldn't believe it. Never taken two deer in a day before.

Another tough drag. Much shorter distance to the car but it was mostly uphill. Sometimes my boots were just churning in the snow. Took an hour and a half to drag him out in the dark. Legs and shoulders were tired and sore but I was thrilled. I have another couple doe tags for units 2h and 2g but there's not much pressure to fill tags with these two in the freezer. I can focus on helping my cousin get his first PA deer this weekend. Always great being out in the woods.

(Franklin County)

Congratulations, two really nice deer, the buck especially. I really enjoy your descriptions of your hunt also, great job!
    Navy ⚓️ 1965–1969

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829 LastLast