Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Default Re: Official PAFOA Harvest Thread (WARNING may be considered graphic by some)

Quote Originally Posted by pahuntnfool View Post
    Attachment 91384Attachment 91385

A rather mature heavy antlered 5 point. Harvested Tuesday 8:30 am 280 rem.
    Congrats!

(Warren County)

Default Re: Official PAFOA Harvest Thread (WARNING may be considered graphic by some)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    A quick response from the PGC Facebook page;

Again, my recommendation is to take down the posting and keep fingers crossed.
    Yeah because its much better to let a wounded animal suffer until daylight or later.

Typical bureaucrats.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    From the PAGC web site
    Recovering Dead or Injured Wildlife: It is unlawful for a hunter to
    refuse or neglect to make a reasonable effort to retrieve any killed or
    injured game or wildlife. Hunters attempting to recover wildlife are
    not permitted to enter private property without permission. A hunting
    license does not give you the right to trespass on private property.

I respectfully disagree, Gyoas did his part in tracking and killing the injured Bear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    A quick response from the PGC Facebook page;

Again, my recommendation is to take down the posting and keep fingers crossed.
    I will agree with the short answer from the PAGC. Any Game warden worth his weight in salt, would clearly see that a Hunter who waits an hour and a half for the animal to expire, was making a reasonable effort to recover the animal. If I were to investigate a similar complaint as a Police Officer (and we do get hunting complaints) IMO the better part of discretion would favor the hunter. It is just my opinion that he did the right thing, flash light in the dark or not!
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Lancaster County)

Got this averaged sized but older (3.5 year or so?) buck opening day, within an hour and a half of getting in my tree stand. Never got a deer Monday morning before 8am. Scrappy guy (one pt was broke off recently).

Also the first time using my 223 bolt. Was worried about using a small caliber (usually use a 30-06), but our shots aren't long, and I usually don't take a questionable shot. Barnes tsx did a great job, didn't even go 40 yards with a lung shot.

(Bucks County)

I agree that gyoas violated a game law by shooting after dark. I also don't disagree with his actions.

As a hunter I feel that it is important to respect your quarry.

I once shot a deer about an hour before the end of shooting light- it took off but did not act like it was hit. I waited an hour and when I still had some daylight started tracking. Jumped it out of its bed and could tell it was gutshot. Found it laying in a field about 100 yard away 5 mins later.

No...I did not stand there and watch it suffer.

(Wayne County)

Back from the processor... 50 pounds of steaks, cubes, roasts and ground. Need another freezer...still have 4 tags to be filled.

i have come up empty in wv so far

but come on, we have to have more than this!
    Montani Semper Liberi

I shot an 8pt first thing Monday morning. About a 2 1/2 yr old, decent buck for Pike County SGL. He was chasing two doe. Was about 45 yrds at a quick walk. I hit it about 4 in behind the shoulder. Got the front of the stomach and came out through the lung. Used a 180gr psp with my .300 mag. Ran about 40 yards then went down. It was a good day.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Cumberland County)

Tuesday (2016-11-29), 1700hrs

It was foggy and my range finder hit the wall at 17 yards. Using one of the online mapping sites, I determined that the shot was 80-100 yards. Entry on the right side, just behind the shoulder. Exit (which can be seen in one of the pictures) was also just behind the shoulder. No damage to any of the shoulder meat, the bullet went through rib on both sides. She went straight down. It was the shot that you see on TV. It was almost surreal.

The Load:
    • Caliber: 308WIN
    • Bullet: 168gr Barnes Tipped Triple Shock
    • Powder: 42gr Varget
    • Primer: Federal 210 primer
    • Case: Mil (PMJ headstamp)
    • Case Length: 2.015" +0.000", -0.010"
    • OAL: 2.800" ± 0.005"
    • NO CRIMP OF ANY TYPE APPLIED

In my rifle, this is a sub MOA load (5 rounds @ 100 yards = jagged hole less than 1" diameter).

HOLY CRAP this bullet is devastating. The hit was in the boiler room. Everything south of the diaphragm was perfectly intact. Everything north of the diaphragm poured out like soup. The heart and lungs came out in little pieces. Even if she did manage to stay on her feet, she wouldn't have gone far. If you're not happy with the performance of your current hunting bullet, give these a look. Factory loaded ammunition with these bullets is also available if you don't roll your own.

Sorry for the blurry picture. I was still shaking. I didn't grow up in PA so I didn't start hunting until I was in my mid/late 20s. This is only my 2nd deer. The last one I shot was in November of 2009.

For scale, the cargo carrier on the car is 48" wide. That's the exit wound.

It was late in the day, so she hung around in the garage overnight.

My wife, while she knows where her food comes from, she prefers to get her meat in butcher paper. She stayed about 10 feet outside of the door, looked in, saw as much as she wanted to, and went back into the house.

However, my kids (boy-8, twins, boy/girl-5) were super psyched to see the deer. I gave them full disclosure about what they were going to see - dead animal, blood, eyes open, mouth open, insides where the guts were, etc. I didn't want them to freak out when they did see it and offered them the chance to change their minds. Nope, they wanted to see it. They spent nearly 15 minutes walking around it, examining and touching it, asking questions, etc. It was really cool. They know where their food comes from and all 3 can't wait to come hunting with me.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

That's really cool to get your kids involved. When my son was about 4 or 5 I showed him a deer I shot. I showed him the bullet holes and explained i shot it with a gun. Also that the deer was dead and wasn't coming back to life like in the movies. He didn't freak out. I thought it was a perfect time to show him how serious guns are and also where you're food comes from.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast