Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wexford SGL ?

(Butler County)

Default Re: Wexford SGL ?

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    Was not there for that. If the pumpkins where at the base of the berm or on the berm then they might have been ok. But if they where shooting at pumpkins on the ground at intermediate distances from the firing line and the berm that is defiantly against the rules.
    They were on the berm.

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    While I am not speaking for the club, as long as you are being safe and clean up after yourself you should be OK. There has been evidence found of worse kinds of ass-hattery than just pumpkin shooting.

That being said PMSC has the least restrictive rules of most clubs in the area. There are tons of clubs where you cannot draw from a holster, shoot rapid fire, move, etc. etc.
    Yep. I belong to BVRPC because none of the places (inclusive of the SGL, obviously) closer to me allow that kind of thing (practical shooting).

And I know people are stupid--last winter, some asshole came to BRVPC, took a chair off the benches at the rifle range, ran it out to 25 yards, and shot the shit out of it. It's the idiots who ruin stuff......

(Allegheny County)

When I shoot at the state gamelands (only lately since husband works close by and daylight is fleeting for our main range in west deer) I walk up to all shooting parties and as a certified range safety officer I discuss the rules. Specifically the "no touching of any guns when a clear is called and anyone is Down range) I had a huge issue with a moron awhile back and I am quite sure he didn't like me after my 3rd time having words with him.

I now have the number to call for the game commission if this type of dangerous behavior occurs when I am there and cannot be rectified. And I pack up and leave. It ain't worth it to be shooting around dangerous fools
    Last edited by Just1more; December 1st, 2015 at 10:19 PM.

I was at that range semi-recently, right after buying my SCAR 17S. Can't remember if it was the first or second time I took it there. Anyways, this was this old codger in a red NRA jacket who properly chewed out two guys for handling their firearms while others were down range.

But then he proceeded to mix up some Tannerite and put it on top of the berm to shoot.

I still go to this range on a regular basis, and its not too frequently that I encounter idiots. But it still happens. Hopefully I'll get into WCMG's range when it opens next year and can go there once or twice a month (since its a 50 mile drive each way). But I'll probably still keep my SGL membership going since its 5 minutes from my job if I want to go shooting after work sometime.

(Allegheny County)

Planning on going there today and meet up with husband after his work to try out our CZ75B Hope we are the only ones there as the weather is crappy.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Capginyu67 View Post
    Any help would be great.
    OP - I imagine you got the point already that you can't use that target at the SGL (or most anywhere really). But if you haven't ever been to the SGL you are in for a treat. The first time I went there before I was even out of my car some marine sounding jacksauce ran over and started yelling about the rules and how we could only have three rounds in our guns blahblahblah. Didn't bother shooting with that sort of fool around, just packed up and left. The Wexford SGL is legendary for idiocy. LEGENDARY.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    I walk up to all shooting parties and as a certified range safety officer I discuss the rules
    Seriously? You cold walk up on everyone and tell them you are an RSO? I'm an RSO (unless I forgot to send the NRA their yearly blood money) and I can't imagine doing that. Having met you and knowing that you are generally good natured I suspect quite a few people would be happy to hear you out at a range, but that can't be universal. Unless I'm missing something, and your RSO training was done with the game commission specifically for SGL ranges?

As for going downrange with people handling their guns... yeah no thanks. I don't like to be around people I don't know shooting at all. And when we take people to our range for training or general shooting I make sure I'm comfortable with their level of attention to range safety before we go. AND watch them the whole time. Public ranges = scariest environment imaginable.
    It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

(Allegheny County)

I wouldn't generally say I'm an RSO. I told the guy that finally after exhausting the simple safety rules as he clearly didnt get it.
    Yesterday I watched the others shooting and saw that they appeared decent and didnt feel threatened so I didn't approach anyone.

I actually did that only once so far as I rarely go there but that was the next visit after the idiot and the people showing up were in groups and many were young and possibly new to shooting or not! it all went well as we talked about guns in general and it was all good!

I do not expect reception to be warm by all and can deal with that if i feel the need to speak out again, but I explain why I am there talking to them and speak of the past safety violation that ocurred there and how dangerous that could be.

If they were to tell me words I wont repeat here, well I wouldn't be shocked as I have been around the block before! And I would walk away knowing at least I made them aware of my concern whether they care or not.

Ps I don't have any state gamelands training but have talked to them about my concerns
    Also I don't go over all the rules or mag capacity. I am mainly making sure all of us are on the same page about when a clear is called no one is to touch their guns while shooters are down range until the clear to shoot is called.

An RSO instructor told me it is your duty as an RSO to bring safety violations to the attention of the shooter - I would assume that means any range even a public one.
    Last edited by Just1more; December 3rd, 2015 at 05:48 PM.

(Allegheny County)

(off topic) python, when are you cooking for us again at a group gathering? It's been too long (-:
    We need another get together!

(Beaver County)

I just told Bearpack that in another thread. Might have to be the spring at this point, I don't like the cold.

As for your experiences at the game lands, that's pretty interesting. I'd be concerned with people either thinking I was a jerk, or them being extra dickish just to prove that I didn't have any authoritah (which I wouldn't). The typical RSO scenario is that you are commissioned for a particular range or event, and you agree to the duty. Say a three gun shoot, or in general at your local club. I suspect that delivery is what counts most when you are somewhere outside of those bounds. I can tell you that the guy who was there when I went WAS official, and I'd never shoot anywhere near him and his puffed up attitude. That's quite a long time ago though to be fair.
    It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

(Allegheny County)

Yeah I got the hint don't use anything but paper.

I have been to the range several times but not for about 10 years. I just read you have to have a $30 pass. That probably been around for several years but news to me until 3 days ago.

(Allegheny County)

Python. I wouldn't want to shoot around anyone holier than thou either ! Attitude is very important and can make or break a good day at the range (-:

Capginyu67 If you have a valid hunting license, that also works for shooting at the state gamelands (if you dare! ha) and is less expensive.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast