Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Who will be going dove hunting this season?

I always enjoyed dove hunting and look forward to it each season because its the first hunting season of the year for me and the weather is usually pleasant, which makes it all the more enjoyable. Just wondering who else is getting psyched for the season to get here.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Who will be going dove hunting this season?

I used to look forward to it , but haven't had any decent places to go recently. Most areas I used to go have been developed.

(Bucks County)

Dove hunting is definately one of the seasons i look forward to. Lots of action and they make great nuggets or just put em in the frying pan. We seem to have smart doves at the farm, think they invested in some kevlar. Some direct hits last year and they never went down, left my cousin and i going WTF!! Can't wait!!

(Bucks County)

I used to dove hunt all the time and couldn't wait for the season to get here but all my old places are now housing developments. Nothing better than fresh dove breasts wrapped with bacon and BBQ sauce with some ice cold beers after an afternoon of hunting.

(Delaware County)

Poonie where do you dove hunt? Public or private land? I went to SGL 43 last year a couple times and only got 3 or 4. I got more doves in Marsh Creek State Park than anywhere else. All of my private land hunting areas are now developed. Let me know if I'm missing out on a good spot in Chester County (if you're not keeping them all to your self)

Also I never see a lot in the beginning of the season, when do you see the most?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Feddog82 View Post
    Poonie where do you dove hunt? Public or private land? I went to SGL 43 last year a couple times and only got 3 or 4. I got more doves in Marsh Creek State Park than anywhere else. All of my private land hunting areas are now developed. Let me know if I'm missing out on a good spot in Chester County (if you're not keeping them all to your self)

Also I never see a lot in the beginning of the season, when do you see the most?
    I hunt Chester Water Authority property near the Octararo reservoir. Its private but open to public hunting. Not going to reveal my exact spot though sorry.

(Montgomery County)

I'd love to get into this but I don't know the first thing about it. Everyone I know that hunts is into either turkey or deer and thats pretty much it.

If anyone would be kind enough to PM me or maybe reply here as to what is needed and where to go It would be greatly appreciated.

Also - referring to the posts above: I didn't know you were allowed to hunt in Marsh Creek State Park, is there a web page or some other information regarding what you can and cannot hunt for and when you can do this?

(Chester County)

Enter PETA, lol enjoy you hunt!!! BTW PETA is a PITA, I am all about treating animal ethically but there is a line.

Now what do you do with the downed Doves?? Do you eat them, I am not being a smart ass I am just curious as I have never been on a Dove hunt. Isn't a Dove just a glorified Pigeon?

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ihunt49 View Post
    Nothing better than fresh dove breasts wrapped with bacon and BBQ sauce with some ice cold beers after an afternoon of hunting.
    Of course we eat them!!! They are delicious. Unless you are the type of person that says they don't like eating crabs b/c they are too much work for too little meat. Then you would probably not like cleaning doves.

To tell you the truth they are some of the most acrobatic fast flying birds you could ever want to try to shoot. If you've never done it then you better bring several boxes of shells b/c you're gonna miss a lot. That is if you find the doves.

As far as hunting Marsh Creek here is some info:
    About 900 acres are open to hunting, trapping and the training of dogs during established seasons. Common game species are rabbit, squirrel, pheasant, waterfowl and deer.

Hunting woodchucks, also known as groundhogs, is prohibited. Dog training is only permitted from the day following Labor Day through March 31 in designated hunting areas. The Department of Conservation and Natural Resources and the Pennsylvania Game Commission rules and regulations apply. Contact the park office for accessible hunting information.

Use extreme caution with firearms at all times. The park is used by other visitors during hunting seasons. Firearms and archery equipment may be uncased and ready for use only in authorized hunting areas during hunting seasons. In areas not open to hunting or during non-hunting seasons, firearms and archery equipment must be kept in the owner's car, trailer or camp.
    Here is the Site:
    http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...k.aspx#hunting

Here is a link to the map with Hunting areas in green and non-hunting areas in tan:
    http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...creek_mini.pdf

If you didn't know this there are designated Hunting areas and Non-Hunting areas in almost every state park in PA. Check out the State Parks website and you will see.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/index.aspx

(Wayne County)

If anyone out there would like some company, I`m moving to Sterling Pa. the end of aug. I`m 59 retired and don`t know what to do with myself. But I sure love to hunt.

Qtrborecrazy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast