Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default 2016 hunting plans

For almost 30 years, I hunted deer just north of Tionesta off of 666 at Endeavor and back along East Hickory Creek.

It started as day trips. Drive 2+ hours, breakfast, hunt, and drive 2+ hours home.

My buddy got a 15 foot camper that was home for quite a few years.
    We had sons, they grew up and came along after I got a 23 foot Shasta.
    I had a piece of roofing rubber, 10 feet by 14 feet that we put down as a floor, built a leanto enclosure with unistrut, tarps, tiewire and pegs. We put a couple LP heaters in there and had a drying / sitting room.
    The toilet and waterlines froze occasionally. We brought a small generator along and life was grand at the old deer camp.

The PGC consolidated Buck and doe seasons, the doe were essentially wiped out so we went from seeing herds of 25 to 30 to not seeing a deer or only a very few and gave up going to hunt local.

My buddies kid told me how much he missed being up there with the 4 of us BS'ing, grilling steaks from Georges Little Store and farting in the trailer ( can't remember the order).

My wife missed sending me and my kiddo away for a week and having the house to herself. She mentioned it a couple days ago. I talked to my buddy about where in Avella him and his kiddo would be posting up on Monday morning and told him I would forego climbing into my backyard treestand ( zipline is down) and join them.

During that conversation, he wondered out loud if the deer herd might have come back in the area we hunted and how much we both missed that trip.

We decided to make point of going up there. Maybe not during this season but afterward and scouting around the old haunts.
    We also said that we are going to make that trip next year although neither of us has a camper and the planning is in the preliminary stages.
    I'm 66 now and he's 64 with a 36 Yo and a 19 YO son. My kiddo is in NH and doesn't hunt anymore.

I'm not sure about a trailer rental etc, etc etc to make that trip.
    My 89 Dodge Ram with a 318 used to scream coming back and winding up the hill in President maxing out at 38mph but the 2001 Ram with it's 360 had plenty of pedal left.
    Not sure how my Subaru Forester or my beater 96 2WD Ranger would like it. Ha.

So, for now , that's the plan.
    We are both reasonably healthy, still drag our own deer out ( just not as far ) and can't wait to see about what will shake by next season.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: 2016 hunting plans

I don't have the luxury of taking off a week (or two) from work for deer camp. However, my boss and I will be in the woods outside Tunkhannock. If not successful on day 1, my plan is to get out at least one more day later in the week in the SGL nearer to my house. I will definitely be out in the nearby game lands during week two as I have a doe license in my WMU.

What do others think of the PGC's "Deer Hunter Focus Area" program? There is an area in the nearby game lands that has this designation. I am not familiar with that section of the game lands though. I also think it is going to be a real zoo (especially on the first day)...full of inexperienced people who think hunting is there will be like shooting fish in a barrel.

(Wayne County)

I was hoping to go back to Wyomning, but I drew a tag this time around, so I have to skip a year. I'll put in for a moose tag up in Canada, and if I don't draw a tag I'll look for someplace for big whitetails.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    I was hoping to go back to Wyomning, but I drew a tag this time around, so I have to skip a year. I'll put in for a moose tag up in Canada, and if I don't draw a tag I'll look for someplace for big whitetails.
    A moose hunt would be awesome. We're in the process of organizing for another trip to Colorado. Possibly an elk/mule deer combo. Thinking of going back to the same place but we're looking into private land with higher success rates. Costs about a $1000 more but they offer land owner vouchers for the mule deer. We're going, just not sure where and for what yet. I very much want to do a father/daughter antelope hunt in the future in Wyoming. A wild hog hunt down south is on the bucket list too.

About the only thing left in Pa that still excites me is muzzleloader season since it's such a challenge. Will still go out Monday though, an excuse to burn a weeks vacation more so than anything.

(Bucks County)

My dad and I keep talking about a Carolina deer and boar hunt. Maybe this will be the year we put money down on a trip and try it out.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by hunterdan View Post
    My dad and I keep talking about a Carolina deer and boar hunt. Maybe this will be the year we put money down on a trip and try it out.
    Got to use dogs for hawgs, its a blast.

(Allegheny County)

Kind of funny how things work out.

My hunting buddy's kiddo was looking at camps around our old stomping grounds just to see if anything was available.

My wife said she missed getting my butt gone for a week ( she claims she still loves me anyway).
    My buddy's wife told him the same thing within a week.

I told my boss I was taking off the whole week of buck season next year no matter what (I'm retired but teach part time). I worked Tuesday, Wed, second Mon, Tues and scheduled to work the last Sat. ( what an idiot). I did get 2 deer so far so it's not all bad.

Anyway, My buddy emails me a youtube vid of a camp he just bought on the same road we used to hunt off of.

Next year at the old hunting spot is a go.

Too cool. We'll start off in fishing season to make the adjustment.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Lehigh County)

Just get a hotel room. You guys deserve it!
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

I think you will find the deer herd is a bit better, but not much.
    The deer that have survived have really become elusive. The sign seems up, but not the sightings.
    The buck to doe ratio is far better, and may actually be a bit skewed now. The racks are large, no doubt about it.

I still say if people want to put a week in during hunting season (up north) they need to put that time in during archery, or flintlock, unless you have 10 or 12 people to drive.
    After the first two days of rifle season the deer go into a hole.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Allegheny County)

GC, kind of what I expected.
    We will head up there when they give him the keys. We'll see if the camp needs anything and maybe walk the woods.
    I'll probably do some archery there.

A5. That was going to be our plan till Drthis happened.

My BIL is not coming.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast