Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Walmart getting out of the gun business

Sorry if this is old news, but I was at my local Walmart this week and they informed me that they are no longer selling rifles or shotguns. The reason? Too much paperwork and too much time per purchase. Does anyone believe this? I realize that there are at least two forms required for purchases/transfers, but they also stated that they need to perform an instant check for each sale and that the total process took an hour or more per sale. I thought that the instant check was only required for handguns and not rifles/shotguns (but I may be wrong as it has been years since I bought either at retail).

They still carry ammo, although, the handgun ammo is hidden beneath the counter while you can see the rifle, shotgun, and .22 ammo in the case. What kind of sense does this make?

Oh, to make this even more interesting, while many Walmart stores are also dropping rifle and shotgun sales, there are a few that will continue to do so. I guess that these stores just do too much volume to cut the business, but if this is true, then don't they have the same paperwork and time commitment? These guys just don't make any sense to me.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Walmart getting out of the gun business

No sign of them removing any of the firearms in the Wiles-Barre Twp Wal-Mart. Actually, they keep the two display case filled.

All of them in Erie have gotten rid of the guns. Seems they are clearancing alot of their outdoor stuff too. I just picked up a sentry gun safe for $139. Regular price was $300something.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil but, because of the people who do nothing about them."
    - Albert Einstein

(Philadelphia County)

Philadelphia Wal-Marts don't even carry ammo, but mostly for political reasons.

Honestly I can't blame them really. It's probably not worth the paperwork and legal stuff for the few they sell at the probably-low profit margins.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Philadelphia County)

Before people jump at the Anti-Wallmart bandwagon and label them resposnible for eroding out gun rights, you have to realize this is simply and economic matter.

They can get a better return by using that space for other goods, matter of fact, Wallmart is so keen on saving money that they wanted to as far as opening their own chain of banks so they could save on the credic card fee.

The US Government is not allowing them to do so, but the Mexican government apparently did.

I wonder how they'll do.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

They may not have been able to open their own business, but they do have a vested interest in one. That's who provides the Wal-Mart Money Centers (ATM machines) that are fee free, and you can do just about anything to your bank account from them, regardless of your bank. I use them for when that last few dollars is needed, and I can take out any denomination.
    Quote Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
    Sgt....Do NOT piss off the wife, do NOT piss off the wife!
    Army Strong

These are my opinions, my opinions only. If you are offended, please, please, call Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, I would like the notoriety.

(Erie County)

The Walmarts here haven't had guns for 3ish years. They do still carry ammo at a damn good price, better than Gander Mountain thats for sure. Plus they mainly only carry Made in the USA ammo so that makes me feel a bit better. Other than that they only thing I buy there is ammo, I don't care much for Walmart......

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaII5 View Post
    The Walmarts here haven't had guns for 3ish years. They do still carry ammo at a damn good price, better than Gander Mountain thats for sure. Plus they mainly only carry Made in the USA ammo so that makes me feel a bit better. Other than that they only thing I buy there is ammo, I don't care much for Walmart......
    True that. 100 rounds of .40 S&W, for fifteen dollars. Only place close to that is Bass Pro, but they still got Bass Pro beat. (around here anyways.)

The Wal-Marts here in the DPRM had long guns, shotguns, and muzzle loaders up until about 6 months ago. My dad said in Oklahoma they still have them, and he just bought a new .22 LR there a few weeks ago. Damned crows and cats are trying to take over his property.
    Quote Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
    Sgt....Do NOT piss off the wife, do NOT piss off the wife!
    Army Strong

These are my opinions, my opinions only. If you are offended, please, please, call Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, I would like the notoriety.

(York County)

The Wal-Mart here in York just removed all their guns.

Chris

(Lebanon County)

This is why I'm loyal the local gun shops. If they loose too much business to the big stores, they'll be going out of business. You see what the big stores did to the mom & pop hardware stores. Now if you want something other than the basic nuts and bolts you're S.O.L. Guns and ammo is worse. If the gun shops vanish and Wal-Mart stops selling what we need, Then what? I'll be stuck driving about an hour each direction to one of the big sporting goods stores. How many younger people do you see opening new gun shops or taking over an existing shop when the owner retires? Not many. I'll continue to support the local shops as long as I can. I like the service and atmosphere.
    (Just my 2 cents).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast