Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Crossbow Hunting

I got a new Excaliber crossbow for this season and I can't wait to get out there and use it. It's amazing accurate. Does anyone else on here crossbow hunt? If so, what type of bow do you have and why type of optics do you prefer?

In case anyone is interested I have my old one for sale in the classifieds here in PAFOA http://www.pafoa.org/forum/everythin...-crossbow.html

(Fayette County)

Default Re: Crossbow Hunting

Good luck this season.

Crossbows can be a touchy subject with some PA archery hunters. I am a traditional archery hunter, but if the day ever comes my back gets so bad I can't shoot a bow that I have to quit or switch to a crossbow, I don't see that being a hard decision for me.
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard

(Delaware County)

I had reconstructive shoulder surgery when I was 18 and since then I have a real hard time holding a draw unless it's at a very low weight. So using a crossbow is a great way for me to spend time in the woods. My father is 60 and he has no problem with a regular compound but he has switched to a crossbow also. I guess he just liked how efficient mine was.

(Monroe County)

a lot of archers hate them for some reason... personally I don't care. I'd much rather share the woods with a cross bow then a muzzle loader ( especially inlines!)

I don't want to see archery season opened to everyone that wants to shoot a x-bow but for anyone unable to shoot a bow then I'm 100% for it.

imho people who want to hunt with a xbow who are perfectly capable of shooting a bow are just lazy and don't deserve to be in the woods with us archers, people who are unable to draw a bow and still want to be out there are hunters!
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Feddog82 View Post
    I had reconstructive shoulder surgery when I was 18 and since then I have a real hard time holding a draw unless it's at a very low weight. So using a crossbow is a great way for me to spend time in the woods. My father is 60 and he has no problem with a regular compound but he has switched to a crossbow also. I guess he just liked how efficient mine was.
    better check the rules... unless he is physically disabled and has approval he can't hunt with a X-Bow in most of the state (I think the philly area may have changed their requirements?)
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Perry County)

The skinny on crossbows.. From the PGC website.

Crossbows may be used during any firearm deer season statewide, and during any established deer season in Wildlife Management Units 2B, 5C and 5D. In WMUs 2B, 5C and 5D, hunters using a crossbow during the archery seasons must purchase an archery stamp in addition to their general hunting license and appropriate WMU antlerless deer license.

Hunters using crossbows during the muzzleloader seasons must have a muzzleloader stamp in addition to their general hunting license and appropriate WMU antlerless deer license. Crossbows must have a minimum draw weight of 125 pounds and a maximum draw weight not to exceed 200 pounds.

Disabled hunters must obtain a permanent or temporary disabled hunter permit to use a crossbow during the statewide early or late archery seasons outside of WMUs 2B, 5C and 5D.

(Delaware County)

Down here in Delaware county ( WMU 5D) we have been able to use crossbows in archery season with a stamp, firearm season, and Muzzleloader with a stamp for 4 seasons already. This will be the 5th season. It does not require any special permission. As buckmark stated, crossbows can also be used statewide during firearms season and muzzleloader(stamp).

I don't see what the big deal is either. The advantage gained is accuracy with less practice and not haveing to draw the bow when the deer is in sight. Contrary to popular belief you do not gain much distance with a crossbow. 50 yards is about the extent of it and that's a big push and you need to practice like a regular archer to pull it off.

Yes they will shoot accurately for a distance but they do not carry the killing power as far. This is due to the legth of a bolt 20"-22" as compared to the length of an arrow. The length of an arrow tends to carry it through the air better + more mass for the (mass X velocity) equation which gives you ft. lbs. of stopping power.

I wish I understood what makes one sect of outdoorsmen feel that they deserve something more than other outdoorsmen. We are all out there together and fighting to hold on to the same traditions. So I say the more people in the sport ( no matter how they choose to do it) the better. As long as you follow the rules like the rest of us.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by Feddog82 View Post
    I don't see what the big deal is either. The advantage gained is accuracy with less practice and not haveing to draw the bow when the deer is in sight. Contrary to popular belief you do not gain much distance with a crossbow.
    I think the problem is, archery brings out very emotional responses. It is not supposed to be easy. Archery has always been a season where you had to work hard at practicing and earn your deer. If you got a deer with a bow, it was a big deal. Many archers take offense to some folks being able to look through a scope and squeeze a trigger and call themselves archery hunters. Drawing in the presence of game is one of the challenges of archery season. Many traditional archers say the same thing about high let off compounds. Archery went through this same thing when compounds hit the scene.

I am not passing judgment, I am just saying how many people I know adamantly against crossbows feel. Visit the UBP (United Bowhunters of Pennsylvania) web site and you will see what I am saying.
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard

(Monroe County)

In all honesty part of it is being selfish... the number of people in the woods... One of the best parts about archery season is being able to enjoy the woods without the army of orange and the VERY real threat to safety that this army poses. I would actually like to see the removal of Inlines during archery season as well due to their extremly long lethal range... but thats a different point

It also has to do a LOT with skill. Yes there are a lot of archers out there that should never be allowed to touch a bow but I've heard, on several occasions, that cross bow shooters will have attempted to make shots at 70+ yards... of course they missed

I've also heard a LOT of x-bow shooters claim that they don't practice because they are already good with a rifle and its the same thing or they will pull out the x-bow and shoot a few shots before the season and they are good to go. I've watched people sight them in at 50 yards and pack up and leave!

X-Bow's carry the rifle mentality for people who are able to shoot a bow, i'll just pickup a xbow and hit the woods... they don't work like that. Thats why I don't like em, I've witnessed to many people not acting like they are a bow but a regular rifle.

Without enough practice and skill they are more then likely to either miss entirely or wound the animal.

In my opinion if you are able to shoot a bow and go the cross bow route instead you are just lazy

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    In my opinion if you are able to shoot a bow and go the cross bow route instead you are just lazy
    That is very true, but is still lawful in certain areas of the state. I'm not trying to change your opinion, just stating that there's nothing "wrong" with it.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast