Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default mpx suppressor help w/ testing

so i have a MPX that i was disappointed in with the amount of blowback i receiving while shooting suppressed. i would like to setup a test with some other NFA junkies.

i was wondering if anyone near pittsburgh has an octane45HD or an osprey9. i have the correct pistons and mounts. read below for some back ground info.

this is pasted from my comments on a silencertalk thread:

i have been reading a lot of threads about the MPX and blowback over the last few weeks. when i first got mine (8" barrel), i was very disappointed in the amount of blow back with my octane9HD, to the point i was trying to sell my MPX and/or trade it in for another toy. but when i was reading some of the other discussions (multiple times), it got me thinking. i remember reading sometime, somewhere about larger can volume and how it might help. so i took my osprey45 out with it today. i received zero blowback. i switched back and forth with the octane9 and osprey45 burning thru 200 rounds of american eagle 147 and 50 rounds of american eagle 115. most test strings were 10-15 rounds to get a good baseline and make sure i was actually perceiving corretly what was going on. when i finally determined the osprey45 provided no blowback, i did 3 30 round mag dumps...no blowback. so i took my MPX off the market where i had it listed for sale.

MPX 8"
    american eagle 147 and 115
    octane9HD provided terrible blowback with both loads
    osprey45 provided zero blowback with both loads
    all shots were taken NTCH, or as best i could do without a stock. without a stock, the recoil kinda punches you in the nose lol

so, i am now wondering if the design of the osprey with the monocore allows more gas to be blown into the can, and not into the action. i am also wondering if being a 45 allows more gas to escape thru the bore with the larger baffle openings and bore opening.

maybe in the next few days i will take my YHM cobra9 out. it has a monocore and a large bore opening. it is actually quite load compared to my octane9 and osprey with the same load.

i would love to test an octane45 and an osprey9 to see if i get the same results.

if anyone is down for some range time, let me know. i am interested to see if it is a monocore design or just the larger bore, or a combination of both that provides the lack of blowback.

(Washington County)

Default Re: mpx suppressor help w/ testing

Has anyone tried applying RTV to the charging handle?

What, no love for the TiRant 45?
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Allegheny County)

i don't know anyone who has a tirant45 with 13mm LH mount

i haven't tried the RTV yet.

(Delaware County)

I have a Osprey and a Octane with that piston as I use it with my P226 Combat. Only catch is you have to come to Philly LOL

Quote Originally Posted by corey4 View Post

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by corey4 View Post

Yuck, lame threads.

Works for me, but I prefer the tactical black RTV:

Last edited by JoshIronshaft; December 2nd, 2015 at 02:56 PM.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796