Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Lancaster County LTCF

The new sheriff is redoing a lot of things, streamlining a lot of things.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by wallyone View Post
    The new sheriff is redoing a lot of things, streamlining a lot of things.
    How does one streamline and make things less efficient? Used to be 15 minutes in and out. Now it's a multi-day wait.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lancaster County)

It may have been an issue with PICS/NICS. Back in June, my wife finally decided it was time to get a ltcf and I was within 6 mos of my renewal so renewed early. We were both in and out in well under an hour.

I'm from out of state but have family in Lancaster and occasionally work near Pittsburgh. I just stopped into the courthouse and taped to the wall is a printout from their website saying Lancaster won't do LTCFs for out of county or out of state folks. Before this trip I did my research and swear their site didn't say anything about that, but it does now. I guess I'm off to another county.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by cockpitbob View Post
    I'm from out of state but have family in Lancaster and occasionally work near Pittsburgh. I just stopped into the courthouse and taped to the wall is a printout from their website saying Lancaster won't do LTCFs for out of county or out of state folks. Before this trip I did my research and swear their site didn't say anything about that, but it does now. I guess I'm off to another county.
    That's new, probably put up after Sheriff Reese was forced out and whomever took over put it up. Last time I renewed there were 4 people from Delaware that had no problem getting one.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Berks County)

If you're travelling from MA to Lancaster swing by the Sheriff's office at the Reading Airport, Berks County (check hours first) and get 'er done in 15 minutes.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    If you're travelling from MA to Lancaster swing by the Sheriff's office at the Reading Airport, Berks County (check hours first) and get 'er done in 15 minutes.
    Excellent! Thanks.

I'm brand new to this forum. Is there someone I can message here so the page listing the counties can be updated?

Here's the Lancaster Firearms Unit's page saying no out of county or state licenses.
    Firearms Unit

PERMIT APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED AFTER 4:00 PM.

*PAYMENT MUST BE IN THE FORM OF CASH OR MONEY ORDER ONLY.*

*ADDRESS ON THE APPLICATION MUST MATCH THE ADDRESS ON YOUR FORM OF IDENTIFICATION.*

The Sheriff's Office Firearms Unit process applications for License to Carry Firearm Permit
    and applications for License To Sell Firearms for gun dealers. Please make sure to click on both the License to Carry Firearm Permits and instructions links above and fill out the entire form.

License to Carry Permit Details

An applicant for a license to carry permit must be at least 21 years of age and reside in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Proof of age and residency must be furnished when the application is submitted. We do not issue permits to out of county or out of state residents.If you are a Lancaster County resident, you must provide a Pennsylvania driver’s license or Pennsylvania photo ID. A post office box will not be accepted as a legal residence.

(Delaware County)

Excellent! Thanks.

I'm brand new to this forum. Is there someone I can message here so the page listing the counties can be updated?

Here's the Lancaster Firearms Unit's page saying no out of county or state licenses.

Welcome to the forum, great place for discussions, unfortunately not so great for up to date law info or sheriff and getting LTCF info. Been that way for a long time.

(Berks County)

UPDATE: Walleye Hunter, you were right. Berks County Sheriff rocks! I was in and out in less than 15 minutes. Most of that was waiting for the NCIS background check to come back.

For a New Englander like me, the whole experience was surreal. "Form, driver's license, home state LTCF, $20 and smile for the web cam please. Thanks. This will take me a couple minutes to enter and 5-10 for the background check. Just hang out." The concept of walking out with the actual laminated license is foreign to me.

For the Maine out of state LTCF it's "only" $60 but they send you a 10 page documentation package and I mailed back 13 pages including a copy of my passport and a certificate from a training class less than 5 years old. New Hampshire is $100, but only 2 pages plus copy of LTCF and about a 4 week wait. Then there's MA: The process for a MA in state LTCF is an ordeal including safety class taken inside MA (people moving into the state love that), finger prints, references, a 1 on 1 interview with your town's Police Chief, some chiefs require a letter explaining why you need one, $100 then a 50-120 day wait after paying $100.

PA is a great place!
    That's worthy of a smile, he didn't try to eat you while you were there, did he?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Berks County)

We got it good here. God forbid we lose the present Sheriff things could get stupid real quick. cockpitbob, glad we could help!!
    Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast