Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northumberland County)

Default Semi auto 22 or 380 with laser

I'm looking to get my wife a semi-auto with mild recoil (i.e. 22LR, 22 mag, possibly 380, etc.) for occasional target shooting and home defense. The kicker is that it absolutely needs to be able to accept a laser and be reliable (and if possible....be Tiffany blue I told her that's what ceracoat is for). To keep it short, she's about 75% blind in one eye and has trouble with depth perception...hence the laser requirement. I'd like to eventually get her comfortable shooting without a laser, but for the time being I think it'll help get her into the movements and help her hit what she aims at, and boost her confidence. Also, she is comfortable shooting, but doesn't like recoil. She likes my Ruger MKII, doesn't like my 9mm. Not sure about the 380 auto...we're considering it but not decided. Wouldn't be for carry, so size doesn't matter. Ballpark $350 for an absolute max budget.

Does anyone have any experience (positive or negative) with the Ruger SR22, Walther semi 22s (P22 I think?), Bersa 380, or anything similar with a laser?

Thanks, RR

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Semi auto 22 or 380 with laser

I have an early SR22. It began to eat everything after about 750 rounds. Up til then, it had to be run "wet", including the tiny feed ramp, especially with unclad bullets. Accuracy is not up to my Ruger Mk III's standards, but it's certainly OK. I have a CT Rail Master slung underneath it and it runs absolutely fine. I've taken a few women shooting for the first time, and I start them with that pistol, iron sights first, laser second.

A "pocket" 380 like the LCP is tough to shoot, and generally not fun at the range, especially for the women I've taken. Again I start with the iron "pimples" they call sights, and switch them to the laser. They shoot it OK, but it's VERY snappy. When you ask them which pistol they want to shoot, they invariably choose the SR22 (of course). But SD wasn't among their criteria at the time.

Just a thought to add . . . I have a Red Dot (an Aimpoint, but there are others) on top of my Mark III. Even with bad eyes, I can put the "Red Splotch" on the target pretty well. It may be another option for you and your wife. The MkIII is deadly accurate of course - and a PITA to re-assemble

Too bad your budget is not higher. The Glock 42 is available in Tiffany ZBlue (Teal) and is a soft shooter that the ladies seem to like shooting. There are lasers available for it too. For home defense a .22 is better than nothing but IMO I would not go smaller than a .380.(and even a .380 is small)

(Bucks County)

You need to get her shooting more and see what she likes before buying her anything. How many times has she been shooting? Get her practicing again with the .22 and standard sights. You only need one good eye to aim and many people shoot with one eye closed. Once you are absolutely sure that doesn't work and you are convinced she needs a laser then recheck how sensitive she is with recoil. A lot of people (mostly girls) can handle the kick but don't like the noise / flash. You didn't say if you were shooting a full sized 9mm but if you were she probably wont like a .380 either. They are usually smaller and will feel the same to her.

And don't worry about the home defense vs. target shooting decision. Let her pick what she likes. A home defense firearm you can't shoot well or are intimidated by is worthless.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboxer View Post
    I have an early SR22. It began to eat everything after about 750 rounds. Up til then, it had to be run "wet", including the tiny feed ramp, especially with unclad bullets. Accuracy is not up to my Ruger Mk III's standards, but it's certainly OK. I have a CT Rail Master slung underneath it and it runs absolutely fine. I've taken a few women shooting for the first time, and I start them with that pistol, iron sights first, laser second.

A "pocket" 380 like the LCP is tough to shoot, and generally not fun at the range, especially for the women I've taken. Again I start with the iron "pimples" they call sights, and switch them to the laser. They shoot it OK, but it's VERY snappy. When you ask them which pistol they want to shoot, they invariably choose the SR22 (of course). But SD wasn't among their criteria at the time.

Just a thought to add . . . I have a Red Dot (an Aimpoint, but there are others) on top of my Mark III. Even with bad eyes, I can put the "Red Splotch" on the target pretty well. It may be another option for you and your wife. The MkIII is deadly accurate of course - and a PITA to re-assemble
    Thanks for the input on the SR22....that's what I was hoping to hear. Had the same thoughts on the LCP...I like the idea but fairly certain it would be uncomfortable enough to deter her from using it. We talked about the red-dot sight once before and it fell by the wayside...good reminder though, I should bring that up again. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Too bad your budget is not higher. The Glock 42 is available in Tiffany ZBlue (Teal) and is a soft shooter that the ladies seem to like shooting. There are lasers available for it too. For home defense a .22 is better than nothing but IMO I would not go smaller than a .380.(and even a .380 is small)
    That's funny, that's one of the one's she liked on Gunbroker. Unfortunately out of the price range by miles. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    You need to get her shooting more and see what she likes before buying her anything. How many times has she been shooting? Get her practicing again with the .22 and standard sights. You only need one good eye to aim and many people shoot with one eye closed. Once you are absolutely sure that doesn't work and you are convinced she needs a laser then recheck how sensitive she is with recoil. A lot of people (mostly girls) can handle the kick but don't like the noise / flash. You didn't say if you were shooting a full sized 9mm but if you were she probably wont like a .380 either. They are usually smaller and will feel the same to her.

And don't worry about the home defense vs. target shooting decision. Let her pick what she likes. A home defense firearm you can't shoot well or are intimidated by is worthless.
    Spot on with the flash/noise. It was with a full size 9mm. She's been pistol shooting about half a dozen times (more with rifles), and asked for something for Christmas. The laser is not a 'need' in the sense that I think she needs one, but more of a crutch if she needs it and to help her enjoy the hobby. It was her primary request with whatever she gets, and I don't want to risk turning her away from shooting by telling her that she shouldn't use one. My goal is to make it as enjoyable as possible, then build her up in terms of caliber, frequency shooting, using iron sights more, etc. My thoughts too on having something you can't use well...start with what you can shoot well.

(Chester County)

A Ruger LC380 w/ the Crimson Trace LaserGuard(only laser I'd consider) should fill the bill. JMO

(Allegheny County)

There are literally hundreds of options for you and your wife. First of all, let me say with a 9mm you will find 115 grain ammo to be very tame recoil in a full size. That being said, a larger framed 380 would of course be a light recoil - Kahr makes a very nice DOA 380 that would fit the bill. Don't go subcompact, it isn't easy to fire accurately unless you are experienced and put in a lot of trigger time.

In the 9mm, ruger http://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-sr9...l#.VlRnCnarSUk you find a very easy to shoot full size handgun and again, with lighter projectiles comes lighter recoil...I would recommend liberty ammunition 50 grain hollowpoints in the home. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/133...free-box-of-20

Have you considered a .38 revolver?

22 is lousy for home defense.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by IrocGuns View Post
    ...22 is lousy for home defense.
    ANY caliber is better than nothing. I've had many people tell me that a .22 should never be used for self defense, "it just won't hurt/stop anyone" I then tell them I have a .22 handy, lets step outside and let me shoot you with it and see if it hurts" They start backtracking VERY quickly "Well, that's not what I meant, blah, blah, blah" I say, "That is exactly what you said, so either we go outside or you retract your statement and think about it a while" Many, many, many, people have been seriously wounded/killed with .22's and if that is all you have, and can use it effectively, then it IS a good self defense round, no matter where you are.

Back to the OP; My wife carries an SR22 with a laser on it and is very confident with it. We are looking to get her into a small 9mm she feels good shooting, but as of now she is armed (a good thing), knows how to use it (a better thing) and is comfortable with it and with her and it's capabilities (best thing). The gun shoots anything we put in it and the laser added about $100 to the cost. It's a Crimson Trace Rail Master (CMR-201). She does carry an extra magazine also.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lycoming County)

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/m...89493/redirect

Check out the walther pk380. It's a hair over budget, but ticks all the boxes. Ruger lc380 would also be a good choice with the crimson trace laser guard as mentioned earlier.

Taurus PT 58 would be another soft shooting 380 option, if you can find one. It's a copy of the Beretta 84 and can usually be found sub $300 dollars. I'm not sure if there are any laser sights for it though.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    ANY caliber is better than nothing. I've had many people tell me that a .22 should never be used for self defense, "it just won't hurt/stop anyone" I then tell them I have a .22 handy, lets step outside and let me shoot you with it and see if it hurts" They start backtracking VERY quickly "Well, that's not what I meant, blah, blah, blah" I say, "That is exactly what you said, so either we go outside or you retract your statement and think about it a while" Many, many, many, people have been seriously wounded/killed with .22's and if that is all you have, and can use it effectively, then it IS a good self defense round, no matter where you are.

Back to the OP; My wife carries an SR22 with a laser on it and is very confident with it. We are looking to get her into a small 9mm she feels good shooting, but as of now she is armed (a good thing), knows how to use it (a better thing) and is comfortable with it and with her and it's capabilities (best thing). The gun shoots anything we put in it and the laser added about $100 to the cost. It's a Crimson Trace Rail Master (CMR-201). She does carry an extra magazine also.
    I stand by my statement. .22LR is lousy for defense and it is better than nothing. I didn't say it should never be used. It is lethal, hell I've seen video of a guy killing a pig with a pellet gun.

You are also far more likely to stop an aggressor with a good hollowpoint in a larger caliber (read: hydrostatic shock) than with a 22LR.

Given the OP is looking for a home defense weapon and given OP's wife doesn't yet have one, why not get something that is ideal for the situation rather than try and adapt something designed as strictly a target gun for home defense?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast