Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Springfield Armory 1911 Micro Compact GI Grip Bushing Question

Maybe someone here will know how to do this. I have a Springfield Armory 1911 Micro Compact GI that has the GI US grip panels on it. Since this is a 3" barrel Office style pistol, I'd like to put slim grips on it and have the slim bushings and screws already purchased. I tried getting one of the bushings off as I've done this on other 1911's before, and it simply wouldn't budge.

I decided to contact Springfield Armory about this and they stated the grip bushings are staked.

I'm guessing that means I cannot do this or I'd need to do this through a gunsmith?

Anyone have any ideas or experience like this?

Any help would be appreciated before I bugger something up.

Thanks!
    Last edited by SwampFoxZ71; November 21st, 2015 at 11:21 AM.
    I forgot how much I missed the slang from the 70's and 80's: "Bite me, dig?"

(Berks County)

Default Re: Springfield Armory 1911 Micro Compact GI Grip Bushing Question

You will need the following tools to do this.

1. Bushing driver from Brownells.

2. Dremel tool with ball cutting bit.

3. Bushing staking tool from Brownells.

You will have to use the dremel tool and the ball cutting bit to break the staking inside the frame.

Then use the bushing driver to remove the grip screw bushings.

Then install the replacement grip screw bushing. Use the staking tool to keep the new bushings in place. I would also use some locktite red as back up.

If you do not feel comfortable doing this, then a gunsmith might be in order. Make sure that the smith stakes the new bushings in place.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
    gotta love her ;)

(Westmoreland County)

That does help and seems to be a lot more than I had bargained for. My thought had always been to put the slim grips on this pistol for carry purposes. I actually like the standard US Grips, just a little too thick for comfortable concealed carry, but not unmanageable.

So, what is the staking? I don't think any of my Colt's ever had this. Does the frame still have threads for the grip screw bushings? Is this a deal where once 'staked', always has to be staked?

Sorry, I do love 1911's and am familiar with them, but this is out of my realm.

Thanks for your information above!

(Berks County)

The staking is just like the bolt carrier key on the AR15. I have to look at my Colt, but I think the grip screws are staked in place.

The 1911 frame has to be threaded for the grip screws to be attached. The staking is an added feature to keep the recoil from the pistol loosening the grip screws.

I would re-stake the replacement bushing, and use locktite, but I'm a bit OCD on this
    gotta love her ;)

(Westmoreland County)

Think I'm beginning to understand the whole 'stake' thing. I guess the part that is odd is that using a little bit of brute force w/ the proper tool won't damage the frame? I guess it does sometimes if the frame threads get messed up.

Just didn't think this would be that big a deal! lol

I may order the right Brownell parts and simply replace using some Loctite on the threads. Not sure I want to stake them again if they're this much a pain to get off that way.

(Chester County)

Take your Springfield to a competent gunsmith and have them do it. If you know what you're doing it's not a big or difficult job but you need the right tools. You run the risk of stripping the threads in the frame if you try to remove the bushing without properly removing the stake on the bushing. I saw that Brownell's also sells a tap kit and oversize bushings now if you strip the threads on the frame. It happened to me many years ago when I knew everything. Luckily at the time I had a very nice gunsmith and he took care of it for me. Live and learn.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC