Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Thinking about getting a 1911 type pistol

Hello folks,

Howdy, I would like to know that is the best 1911 type pistol to buy. My budget is at $1000. I have looked into Kimber but I heard that their QC is "iffy", I have looked into S&W 1911 and SIG 1911 type pistol as well. Some dudes told me to stay away from 1911 type pistol while other dude (a WW1 Vet) I know say you can dip them in the mud and still knock a German in the trench 20 feet away!.......WOW

OK, whatI would like to know is what 1911 type pistol for $1000 buck. Thanks. Hehehehe

1FingrCHan

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Thinking about getting a 1911 type pistol

I've got a Kimber. It's a good gun. But I don't like aluminuminuminum frames. Take a look at Springfiel Armory.

aluminuminuminuminuminuminuminuminuminuminuminumin uminuminuminum

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1FingrCHan View Post
    My budget is at $1000.
    The cost of the gun itself is only PART of your budget. Also consider: holster, mag carrier, spare mags, range fees. The other big budget part is ammo for practice. Have you accounted for all that? If you want to practice enough to get good with this pistol, you will exceed your stated budget on ammo alone within a year.

dude (a WW1 Vet) I know say you can dip them in the mud and still knock a German in the trench 20 feet away
    In its historic role in battle, those 1911s were loose fitting, and shot FMJ ammo. Today's 1911s are seldom that loose (although perhaps "GI spec" types are?), and IMO the inarguable dealbreaker for a self defense gun is that is feed hollowpoints well, not just FMJ.

However, if you want specific advice, you should tell us the gun's intended role? CCW? Home defense only? Range shooting?

I also would like to get a nice 1911. I have shot various models of friends and people at the range who are friendly enough to allow me to shoot their's. (I belong to a cool range) Anyway, I have fired a variety of Kimbers, a Para Warthog, a few Colts, and several Springfield Armory's. With that said, I really liked my buddy's Springfield the best. BUT....he is shooting really reduced loads with a lighter recoil spring, and has tuned the gun quite a bit. Trigger pull is around 2 lbs. For shooting x's, this is the gun for me. I also shot the Kimber Ultra very well. A lot depends on a lot of things. I like the feel of a 1911 grip in my hand. It is a great fit. Good triggers on most of these guns only add to good shooting. Single action also adds to this. Like always, figure out what you will use the gun for most, and try to shoot as many as you can, and then figure out which is best for your intended purpose.
    Jules

(Allegheny County)

i like the springfields my self / heard a lot about the taurus being good but i saw a springfield TARGET around 800.00 that seemed great

(Lackawanna County)

are you using it for competition or just screwing around?

For competition, i'd get an STI. They are like ready out of the box for competition.

For other stuff, i'd get a springfield TRP or MC operator.

Talking Re: Thinking about getting a 1911 type pistol

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    The cost of the gun itself is only PART of your budget. Also consider: holster, mag carrier, spare mags, range fees. The other big budget part is ammo for practice. Have you accounted for all that? If you want to practice enough to get good with this pistol, you will exceed your stated budget on ammo alone within a year.

In its historic role in battle, those 1911s were loose fitting, and shot FMJ ammo. Today's 1911s are seldom that loose (although perhaps "GI spec" types are?), and IMO the inarguable dealbreaker for a self defense gun is that is feed hollowpoints well, not just FMJ.

However, if you want specific advice, you should tell us the gun's intended role? CCW? Home defense only? Range shooting?

Thanks all for your advice. I must admit, the "romance" of 1911 style pistol got me, hehehheheh. Seem like steel and fire are what real pistols are all about. Not knocking polymeer frame pistols, but I think those polymer pistols are less "personalized". I collect real Samurai swhttp://www.pafoa.org/forum/images/icons/icon10.gifords, they are damn expensive, but heck, all hobby aint cheap .....heheheh (I dont know hos to use the "smiley" firgure yet, as they said we are old fashion and backward here in the South, hehehheh)

(Lawrence County)

I have two Kimbers.

If I did it over again I'd buy an STI Trojan. STI makes a lot more than the 2011 and competition only guns! (The new Spartan is only $550 and they have a bunch of tactical weapons) There is a group buy over at The High Road that is KILLER!

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...62#post3043562

http://www.stiguns.com/
    Last edited by Lycanthrope; February 11th, 2007 at 12:30 PM.

I've had Paras, Colts, Kimbers, and Springfields, If it's your first 1911, get a Springfield Loaded model. They come with the only "add ons" that you really need, and you'll have some $$$ left over for other things.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post

That is not 100% correct. The custom guns make their gun overly tight. Les Bear for example. If you buy a colt NRM gun(1911) you will have a nice carry piece,target gun ect. My colts rattle a bit and people say wow it cant be accurate. Wel my colt gold cup and special combat gov does 2-2.5 inches at 25 yards with cheap ammo and me freehand shooting. Very reliable too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast