Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Question Contemplating an idea: Opening a new range/gunshop

You should hear the people I know...."Why on earth would you want to do that?"

First off I have no idea how I would go about opening a new gun shop/range in the city.

Has anyone contemplated the idea? Im sure it would require lots of venture capital....permits etc....but where should I start?

Ive always wanted to be in business for myself...but I never could figure out what.

Is it a silly idea or something I should really look into?

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Contemplating an idea: Opening a new range/gunshop

Silly idea. Too many environmental and insurance issues. If you don't have the working capital, you'll be bankrupt in a year. The fact that you have no idea where to start should set off all alarms!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bert View Post
    Silly idea. Too many environmental and insurance issues. If you don't have the working capital, you'll be bankrupt in a year. The fact that you have no idea where to start should set off all alarms!
    Really so all the other individuals who opened their own shops & ranges automatically knew what was going on when they woke up one day?

I highly doubt that but thanks for your 2 cents.

(Perry County)

Im sure if you pm one of the FFL holders on this board, they would be willing to help you.

(Centre County)

I'll not say it's a silly idea but I'll try to give some info that you may want to see (or not).

First, you need to find somewhere to put the shop/range. You'll want it somewhere that it is easy to get to, that will have adequate parking, in a decent neighborhood (a bad neighborhood won't bring in customers), has a good to excellent repeat customer base (so you won't go broke), etc. You'll need to see if you are allowed to operate that type of business where you want to build, so you'll need to check with the local government for all the ordinances/permits required, etc. Be ready to shell out a LOT of money to build a range due to all factors (ventilation, backstops, liability, decent equipment, etc, etc.) One place to start to get info on the design of a range is the NRA. If you're a member, contact them, they have info that will help you in your decisions. If not a member, join and then get info from them. On the shop side, you have to take into account the inventory you want, suppliers, store fixtures, accounting (either you do it or you hire an accounting firm). For both, operating hours, any employees? (that means background checks; for this type business they are almost a necessity to be safe).

Here's some more stuff, pertaining to the firearms licenses:
    PA Firearms license (get at the Sheriffs Office). You may not get this before you get the 01 license but they should be able to give you something to attach to your 01 application stating that you will get it as soon as the 01 license is issued.

Any local licenses and/or approvals (township, city, boro, etc. will explain what you need). Once you have these, attach copies to the 01 application to prove your are serious about setting up a business.

PA Sales and Use Tax license (apply on line at PA Dept of Revenue). You can submit sales tax collected via EFT if you so wish.

A storefront business approval from the local government.

Federal Fireams License (and you will need to prove to them that you have or can get the above before they approve/issue the FFL)

Not a true requirement but you're looking for trouble if you don't have them:
    Set up a business, either LLC, Corp, or sole proprietorship (however, with SP if something goes wrong they can take everything you own)

Business insurance (unless you are independently wealthy and self insure)

Then you have to start filing a PA business tax return (boy is it confusing the first time, if you do it yourself) and a federal business tax return.

Some more to think about:
    Where is the start up money coming from? If you are very, very wealthy, probably not a problem. If not, you better have a ROCK SOLID business plan to take to whoever you are going to try to get money from. They are going to want to see income projections, credit reports, have you ever had a business before?, how did it do?, and they will want to know everything about this new business.

To build a decent indoor range that people will want to spend time at, and for you to make money, it should be at least 10 lanes/25 meters long. Less, people may not want to wait around to use a lane (unless you have something else that will keep them there), more and you might have lanes sitting empty (not making money for you).

If you do decide to go for it, see if there is a way to get in with police departments so that they may rent the range at times for their qualification shoots, etc. Check with gun clubs that may need a place to shoot to see about them renting the range, see about schools that may have shooting clubs/programs that need a place to shoot, anything to generate revenue. See if there is a local shooting league (like a dart or bowling league), if not, maybe start one.

My guesstimate on building a shop/range (because of all that is involved, OHSA, PA DEP, etc.) you will be looking at a low 7 figure number to open the doors. Don't forget you have to have the land, hire architects, do environmental studies, build the building(s), buy/install fixtures, purchase inventory, get insurance, utilities, install a good security system, pay for licenses, payroll, accounting, and probably other things I don't know about.

Good Luck (and I am not being sarcastic in the least bit). Everyone has their dreams, some come true, some do not.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    You should hear the people I know...."Why on earth would you want to do that?"

First off I have no idea how I would go about opening a new gun shop/range in the city.

Has anyone contemplated the idea? Im sure it would require lots of venture capital....permits etc....but where should I start?

Ive always wanted to be in business for myself...but I never could figure out what.

Is it a silly idea or something I should really look into?
    OPEN ONE IN LANCASTER CITY !!!!!!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Good Luck (and I am not being sarcastic in the least bit). Everyone has their dreams, some come true, some do not.
    Now thats a response.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Armed_in_Lancity View Post
    OPEN ONE IN LANCASTER CITY !!!!!!
    Sorry....it would most likely be in Philly.

Security concepts (aka Britts) closed and there are no ranges within a short driving distance......sure there is Firing Line, SPAG and Pistol People in Bensalem...but thats about it.

(Allegheny County)

I went to an entrepreneur's conference long ago. It was a day of seminars and lectures from Pittsburgh's top successful entrepreneurs to help other do the same.

One of the best points that came up again and again was that companies don't fail because they're managed poorly or because the owner didn't fight to keep his dream alive. They die because of lack of funding. You have to plan on a huge need for equity to keep you alive while building a client base. Until your store / widget / service can stand on its own, it's a huge drain financially.

I'm all for starting your own business. Go for it.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Sorry....it would most likely be in Philly.

Security concepts (aka Britts) closed and there are no ranges within a short driving distance......sure there is Firing Line, SPAG and Pistol People in Bensalem...but thats about it.

I would with out a doubt work for ya part time!!!

And I accept .40S&W ammo as payment!!!!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast