Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Thinking about getting a 1911 type pistol

OP wrote - Howdy, I would like to know that is the best 1911 type pistol to buy. My budget is at $1000. I have looked into Kimber but I heard that their QC is "iffy", I have looked into S&W 1911 and SIG 1911 type pistol as well. Some dudes told me to stay away from 1911 type pistol while other dude (a WW1 Vet) I know say you can dip them in the mud and still knock a German in the trench 20 feet away!.......WOW

Really whoever told you Kimber had a QC problem was wrong no more then any other quailty manufacture. All the pistols you mentioned are good quailty made guns inside your budget. It depend on your purpose if you want something to shot on the range, home defense and or personal protection. The lowest level modern Kimber, Colt or Springfield would do and you have change. I think $400-$500 more you could buy a Les Bear or Wilson Combat model or highger level Kimber or Springfield 1911 within your $1000 range.
    Personally I wouldn't recommend any SA pistol as a 1st gun unless you are willing to train extensively with it. To me the 1911s and Glocks like guns are for experience users pistols for people who spend alot of time into and around guns and training with guns. Noticing that early on Policeman were having ADs incidents going from revolver to Glocks short trigger/saftey action with training you don't hear about this anymore. I add support to my claim that few Police dept recommend 1911 like guns to any officers accpet there Swat team members.

It's debatable but the 1911 maybe the fastest action once trained and put into action, But I've seen some rare cases where experts were able to shoot revolvers as fast training is key.

Once trained the 1911 pistol is considered an offensive weapon most pistols are thought of as defensive (I've never understood that) but thats is the reputation of the 1911 designed pistol. Note you can't believe everything you read and hear about the 1911 in 45acp it has a reputation that borders on folk lore. But it is a fine weapon I have 3 made from different manufactures all very accurate and fast. Buy one but train with it.

I usually don't make blanket statement but I will say it takes more training to safely handle a SA gun then a DA/SA gun.
    Last edited by Neko456; May 26th, 2010 at 01:57 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123