Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: Flying out of BWI w/firearm

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    It's been just a few years since I flew out of BWI with a firearm (my brother moved from his rural AZ address), but I never had any trouble out of BWI with checking firearms on multiple occasions.

I don't recall a separate pickup point in AZ or BWI; my luggage popped out on the regular carousel.

In AZ they actually have a pre-recorded loop on the shuttle bus to remind you to check firearms as you enter the airport!

A final word of caution: If you are going to repurpose your range bag as a carry on, the TSA sniffer may not appreciate it! Have your LTCF handy to explain that one. Don't ask...
    Been there, done that back in 2002.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Beaver County)

http://www.cjrpc.org/interstate_1.htm

federal law transporting firearms

I have traveled from Fla to Pa with a gun in checked bag, I had to check the bag in at a TSA checkin and I picked up the bag at the regular baggage pickup, the bag had yellow tape around it that said "inspected by TSA" There are some rules to follow when packing the gun in the bag.

I wanted to be legal so first I checked with the FAA, they refered me to the TSA who refered me to the airport who refered me to the airline, who said to follow federal guidelines.
    Last edited by john9001; November 29th, 2015 at 09:29 AM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirlen View Post
    This is the sign as posted at the Orlando International Airport, baggage claim area:

Attachment 78359
    I suspect that the prohibition is a general one but, as recognized in the FL statute I provided in post #5, does not apply to travelers when the firearm is checked through the proper TSA procedures. Listing all the exceptions on the sign would be impractical.
    IANAL

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    That's because in most airports you don't pick up firearm baggage where regular baggage is picked up.
    The airline always has a separate kiosk for "irregular size baggage, cargo or luggage requiring special care".
    Every time I've flown with a firearm it's come out just as any normal checked baggage.

(Chester County)

If I had a connection in BWI God forbid something happens to the next plane, and I have to de-plane and take possession of my firearm. No way. I would avoid BWI, JFK, etc.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    If I had a connection in BWI God forbid something happens to the next plane, and I have to de-plane and take possession of my firearm. No way. I would avoid BWI, JFK, etc.
    Maryland may be bad for gun rights. But not that bad.
    Nowhere near NYC .
    Like I've said, I've traveled to and from BWI with firearms dozens of times and never a problem.
    You just have to use some damn sense when you do it.

I too have traveled out of BWI with handgun and no problem. Weird thing though when clerk had me rack the slide to prove not loaded. Next time I locked slide open. Procedure was no different than other airports.
    Right of citizens to bear arms ...shall not be questioned.

(Northampton County)

That's because in most airports you don't pick up firearm baggage where regular baggage is picked up.
    The airline always has a separate kiosk for "irregular size baggage, cargo or luggage requiring special care".
    Like the others, I have never run into that. It comes out with the rest of the baggage.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Chester County)

So if you are driving to BWI from PA with your handgun, and separate ammo, and you are pulled over, and for whatever reason searched, the FOPA protects you to the airport? I just don't trust the MD State Police or other MD police that much.

(Juniata County)

I've never seen this, although I always fly from Harrisburg or Return to Harrisburg.

When I flew out of Columbus GA, they made me put the "firearm empty tag" outside of my pistol case but inside my bag. Everywhere else has always made me put it inside the case. Sometimes they observe the weapon is clear, sometimes not.

I have always carried up to the baggage check, and cleared it there, because I feel comfortable doing so. I would not recommend it for everyone, but it has never been a problem. I always put the holster on my hip, & load my firearm & holster at HIA, but in out of Commonwealth airports I wait until I am at my transportation. Again, never an issue.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast