Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lebanon County)

Default ? for NY residents carrying in Pa?

Ok, in the Pa gun rights flyer it shows what states are ok with Pa LTCF but what states does Pa accept for CC? Also, what about OC in Philly for someone from out of state (most specifically NY)? Or does NY not even give them out? I really don't know anything about their laws but am planning on having a guest from NY sometime...probably not until the beginning of next year but you know...he'll be bringing his pistol and I wanted to let him know exactly how to go about things so we're not breaking any firearms laws. TIA.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: ? for NY residents carrying in Pa?

*for the most part*, the PA honors the same states' permits/license that honor ours. most of the state have "reciprocity" with PA, so "we'll honor yours and you honor ours".

however, there are a couple of states (like IN) that honor every other state's permit/license (but PA does not necessarily honor theirs) and there is also VT where you just plain don't need a permit/license, but they also do not issue licenses, so PA cannot possibly honor theirs.

regarding NY, PA does not honor a NY permit. NY does issue them, but it is not a shall issue state. i think in some places outside of NYC, they might not actually be too hard to get, but i dunno.

if your friend has an NY permit, he could get a non-resident PA permit without much cost or trouble. the centre county sheriff will do it all by mail. check out their website.

another alternative would be for him to get a UT or FL non-resident permit (which are honored here). the advantage of those over a PA non-resident is that it will get him more states than ours does. the disadvantage is that they take longer, cost more, and you have to jump through more hoops.

if your friend does not want to get any non-resident permits he can still do the following.

1. if he has an NY permit, he can have a loaded gun in his vehicle just with that (we honor all state's permits for the purpose of having a gun in your car), but will have to OC if he wants to carry it around on foot.

2. if he does not have a NY permit, he can still transport the unloaded pistol to your home via the FOPA (federal interstate transportation law). however, he won't be able to transport it around in a car while in PA except for going to/from the range, etc (and then it still has to be unloaded). he could still OC on foot leaving from your house or the range, etc. but he could not legally, for example, transported the gun unloaded from your house to the mall and then OC at the mall. (PA law allows unlicensed individuals to transport unloaded pistols in their cars only to and from certain places...like the range, gun shop, etc.)

(Lebanon County)

Ok, I recall him mentioning keeping a pistol in his car so I am sure he must have a permit. That means we can meet up and just OC. If for some reason I'm wrong I guess he'll just have to let me hold his pistol if we're in the car, right? Because IIIII can have it in the car.

(Jefferson County)

LRT covered most of it. About the Philly OC thing - he can only OC in Philly if he has a license/permit that PA honors. ...his NY permit wont cover him.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lebanon County)

Yep, I already knew about the Philly thing but thank you for reminding me because that is something I would not like to be reminded of by a LEO...in Philly. HEH.

(Lebanon County)

Most LEO in Philly still don't know OC is legal there, or don't like it so don't be suprised if you get hassled there.
    If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by truecrimson View Post
    Most LEO in Philly still don't know OC is legal there, or don't like it so don't be suprised if you get hassled there.
    That goes for many places in PA.

OC in Philly is kinda an oxymoron.. ..Ya still have to have a license.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lebanon County)

Yeah I don't know that we'll be hanging out in Philly anyway. I appreciate the replies though. I want to have everything squared away well in advance for a smooooooth visit. We don't want the poor man running around without his pistol!

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

If he has a NY lisc, he can easily get a PA nonres lisc, see the other post above that says Centre county does it all by mail.
    LOL, I am a woman...