Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Suggestions for cleaning stainless revolver?

I took my new Ruger GP100 out to the range today and fired over 100 rounds so naturally, it was FILTHY! I should have taken a picture. It took me nearly an hour to get it back to glamour shot level clean. I'm used to running a bore snake through the the barrel, cleaning the feed ramp and being done in about 5 minutes. Are there are special tools or solutions that people use to get their revolvers super clean? I used a 9mm bore snake through the barrel and each of the cylinders, cleaned up all the lead with nylon brushes and oiled the entire gun and rubbed it dry. Any suggestions? Do I just need to be willing to commit more time to cleaning my revolver than I'm used to for pistols or is there a better way?
    Hope this is not Chris's blood ...

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Suggestions for cleaning stainless revolver?

I use a maroon Scotch-Brite pad on the face of the cylinders on mine. VERY gently . It will clean the black scorching off. I also disassemble the gun to component parts, actually all of my guns get this, and sink them in a heated ultra-sonic bath. Dry them off in the microwave (hahahah, just checking to see if you were paying attention) dry with paper towels and then lube accordingly.

(Delaware County)

I use Flitz metal polish and a toothbrush.....works great!

(Lancaster County)

I was lucky enough to find a bottle of Wally's stainless steel cleaner a few years ago and a few drops takes to get all the burn marks right off the face of the cylinder. My bottle is about half empty now and I've looked online and can't seem to track it down anymore. Wally was an older guy I used to run into at the York and Harrisburg gun shows. He made his own stuff. I have a feeling this one is vinegar based with some "secret" additives. I keep meaning to just try straight vinegar on the cylinder face but never have gotten around to it. If you're going to be shooting your gun a lot, and I imagine you will be since it's new, I wouldn't go all out each time you clean it with the burn marks. I just wipe off the soot, clean the barrel and save the deep cleaning for when I need a gun fix and cant get to the range.

Here's one of mine with countless rounds down range but it still looks like the day I first brought it home.
    Last edited by bripro; November 15th, 2015 at 08:57 PM.

(Bucks County)

If you guys are going to start experimenting, let me suggest getting a piece of stainless steel and testing on that. No sense wrecking a gun to find cleaner that works.

(Bucks County)

Don't worry about it so much. 100 rounds is nothing in a revolver and it shouldn't need an hours cleaning after that. Scrub the bore and cylinders some and give it a wipe all over with a rag and a little solvent, give it a light coat of oil and put it away. You don't need to spend more time cleaning than shooting. If you were shooting lead bullets you night need to take a few more minutes but no more than 5-10.

About once a year (OK ,maybe longer) I give my firearms a good makeover and clean every nook and cranny. They don't really need it for reliability (if it did I would sell it) but is nice to have it like new.

(Bucks County)

This stuff is magic for your problem. One or two wipes and the cylinder face will look like it just came from the factory.

http://www.amazon.com/Kleenbore-Gun-.../dp/B002IEIDG4

(Susquehanna County)

You might also want to invest in some .38/.357 chamber brushes from brownell's.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Misery Loves Shotguns View Post
    I took my new Ruger GP100 out to the range today and fired over 100 rounds so naturally, it was FILTHY! I should have taken a picture. It took me nearly an hour to get it back to glamour shot level clean. I'm used to running a bore snake through the the barrel, cleaning the feed ramp and being done in about 5 minutes. Are there are special tools or solutions that people use to get their revolvers super clean? I used a 9mm bore snake through the barrel and each of the cylinders, cleaned up all the lead with nylon brushes and oiled the entire gun and rubbed it dry. Any suggestions? Do I just need to be willing to commit more time to cleaning my revolver than I'm used to for pistols or is there a better way?
    You could go the 'All American' route and pay someone else to do it for you. LOL
    I forgot how much I missed the slang from the 70's and 80's: "Bite me, dig?"

(Lancaster County)

I just use #9 solvent, a rag, and elbow grease. A pencil eraser works pretty well on the rings that form on the front of the cylinder.
    It's a good idea to get the gunk out from under the extractor too.
    If your Ruger GP shoots as well as my old Service Six you'll be a happy camper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast